Page 10 of 524 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110510 ... LastLast

Thread: The TV Discussion Thread

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting EvilShoe (view post)
    Reality TV is the devil.
    I have gotten hooked on several bad shows as well, only because I want to know what will happen to the contestants. (Who will win, who gets kicked out).

I don't even like them...

For the moment I'm following some shit show in which C-list soap opera actors get a chance to sing. Each week one of them gets kicked out.
    It's so terrible. :sad:
    I recently got hooked on both Kitchen Nightmares and America's Next Top Model. They are the first reality shows I've ever watched. I've never even followed a season of American Idol. I'm proud of my love for Kitchen Nightmares, but this is the first time I've owned up to Top Model.

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    This is why I really hate it with a passion. This is why they're winning. These shows ARE funny and amusing to watch, I'll admit it any day. Same goes to Jerry Springer and Maury. But it's about the principle of it. People think it's harmless to watch them because they think they're above it, and only watching to make fun of it. But before you know it, they'll start watching week after week, not wanting to miss an episode in case some big funny freakout happens. Are they aware that that's exactly how the producers planned it? Reality shows are not just bad, uninventive programming. It's also a death trap. I won't say that watching too much stupid people makes you stupid, but it is stupid to spend time watching them when there are other things to watch.

Of course, I'm not directing this at you. I have a roommate that's dumb as a rock. She likes to think that she's above trash TV and "mainstream Hollywood", yet she perpetuates the cycle more than anyone I know. Simply put, you are never above anything. Not when you still tune in.
    You hit the nail on the head man, and you illustrated why I avoid reality TV like the plague. Also I remember when I got hooked on the second season of "Survivor." It was bad, where I would never, ever want to miss an episode even though I knew what I was watching was crap-reality manupulated skillfully by editors to make the show more interesting and dramatic than it really was. Reality TV is worse than soap operas because at least soap operas are structed in a traditional sense and some sort of talent goes into them. Hell 24 and Lost are like soap operas in some sense.
    And of course they do make you stupid, although granted TV does dumb you down in many ways-they don't call it the idiot box for nothing
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

With that said, though, I am really enjoying Discovery's new shows Fight Quest and Monster Quest. Put Quest on the title and I'll watch it. Johnny Quest? Awesome.

Me = hypocrite.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    With that said, though, I am really enjoying Discovery's new shows Fight Quest and Monster Quest. Put Quest on the title and I'll watch it. Johnny Quest? Awesome.
    Viking Quest starring Johnny "Drama" Chase?
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    Viking Quest starring Johnny "Drama" Chase?
    Who wouldn't watch that?

VICTORY!!!!
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Seriously though. Fight Quest. It rules.
    Movie Theater Diary

Anyone watch The Daily Show and the Colbert Report last night? I thought they did a pretty good job. I'm not surprised they spent so much time on the interviews. That'll probably be a consistent trend. I think Stewart's cynical side could come out more now that he's writing all his own material. Like that joke about the writer's strike being 9 times worse than 9/11.
    Wishful thinking, perhaps; but that is just another possible definition of the featherless biped.

That strike professor or whatever on The Daily Show was mighty dull.

Was Stewart writing? I figured that was more preparation than anything. Fine line I guess.

I enjoyed how Colbert played it, thinking that the teleprompter was actually some sort of inner monologue. Then when he did The Word and had nothing.

The interviews are better than nothing.

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    I want to start watching The Colbert Report, but I'm afraid if now is a good time or not because he's doing it without writers.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

It's all in the caffeine EvilShoe's Avatar
    I've started with season 4 of Coupling.

Well, even if it continues down this path: we'll always have the first three seasons.
    Last movies seen
    Frank: Good
    Mistaken for Strangers: Good
    Guardians of the Galaxy: Good

Last TV seasons watched

Treme (S04): Good
    The Legend of Korra (S03): Good

Currently reading
    This Side of Paradise - F. Scott Fitzgerald

I'm taking a break from renting seasons of shows. I have the miniseries of The Corner coming up, and after that I'll try out either Homicide or Battlestar Galactica.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I've started with season 4 of Coupling.

Well, even if it continues down this path: we'll always have the first three seasons.
    It redeems itself somewhat near the end. But the lengths gone to to shoehorn in Oliver never cease to be eye-rolling.

But yay for the first three!

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    It redeems itself somewhat near the end. But the lengths gone to to shoehorn in Oliver never cease to be eye-rolling.

But yay for the first three!
    It's not just Oliver though.
    [
    ]
    But Oliver is a problem. For the moment, two episodes in, he really isn't that funny.
    It's not the actor's fault, he's likeable, but the character is too restrained. This is probably to avoid the comparisons with the over-the-top character of Jeff.

Season 3 was probably my favourite.
    Last movies seen

Last TV seasons watched

Currently reading

It's not just Oliver though.
    [
    ]
    But Oliver is a problem. For the moment, two episodes in, he really isn't that funny.
    It's not the actor's fault, he's likeable, but the character is too restrained. This is probably to avoid the comparisons with the over-the-top character of Jeff.
    You're right; it's definitely not just Oliver. The Steve/Susan story gets out of whack, too. However, I do love the other two characters in this season.

One of my primary problems with Oliver is that there is no real reason for him to hang out with this cast of characters we've gotten to know over three years of television. He just kind of forces himself into their circle, despite the fact that no one wants or needs him, merely as writer's contrivance. He's not a terrible character in his own right and the actor's pretty good, but he's trying to fill some big ass shoes doing a part that's transparently designed to replace Jeff while doing something a little different.

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    You're right; it's definitely not just Oliver. The Steve/Susan story gets out of whack, too. However, I do love the other two characters in this season.

One of my primary problems with Oliver is that there is no real reason for him to hang out with this cast of characters we've gotten to know over three years of television. He just kind of forces himself into their circle, despite the fact that no one wants or needs him, merely as writer's contrivance. He's not a terrible character in his own right and the actor's pretty good, but he's trying to fill some big ass shoes doing a part that's transparently designed to replace Jeff while doing something a little different.
    It is painful the way he gets mixed up with these characters isn't it? The last episode I saw had Susan trying to call a girl she met, but since that girl left her phone with her ex-boyfriend, she ends up talking to him instead. That ex is Oliver.

I agree with what you posted a while back, how they should've just continued with the remaining 5 characters.

It does seem logical to add a 6th character, as Moffat probably didn't know at the time how long the show would continue for and it's easier to come up with situations if you have an extra wacky/single character at your disposal.

But then again: there is no season 5, and so I don't think I'll ever be able to see Oliver as a worthy character.
    Last movies seen

Last TV seasons watched

Currently reading

Who wouldn't watch that?

VICTORY!!!!
    Damn straight. That and Johnny Drama is one of the best characters on Entourage.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Don't know if this was posted already (the episode is from September), but the disgusting To Catch a Predator apparently hit an all-time low:

http://www.esquire.com/features/predator0907

EDIT: Seems this has been in the news for a long while. I guess I just never heard about it.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Iiiiii'm Chreeeeee-iiiissss Haaaaaannnn-ssssseeeeeeennn.

Has anyone here seen Damages?
    I caught the first episode on TV just now, and must say I'm extremely interested to see where this goes.
    The protagonists seem interesting enough, and are played by two actresses whose work I enjoy: Rose Byrne & Glenn Close. (Close mainly because of her work on The Shield).

I was fearing for some Devil Wears Prada type of show, but this is a lot darker show I expected. That much is evident from the first frame of the pilot.

I'm usually not interested in lawyer hijinks, so luckily this show is more about exploring the darker aspects of human beings.

Could be that it derails completely, but right now I'm impressed

-----------

A show that seems to have derailed completely is My Name is Earl during its second season. I've always been a minor fan (I kept watching mostly because I enjoy Jason Lee's work), but this season is pretty much devoid of laughs.

I have also realized I pretty much hate Randy. Not a fan of the comedy his character brings to the show.
    Last movies seen

Last TV seasons watched

Currently reading

I loved the second season of My Name Is Earl, and I think its better than the first season. Also I can't say I agree with about Randy-he's usually the funniest element of many of the episodes, although he's best when used in small doses.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

A show that seems to have derailed completely is My Name is Earl during its second season. I've always been a minor fan (I kept watching mostly because I enjoy Jason Lee's work), but this season is pretty much devoid of laughs.

I have also realized I pretty much hate Randy. Not a fan of the comedy his character brings to the show.
    This would imply that My Name is Earl was ever on the rails to begin with. Which it wasn't.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    This would imply that My Name is Earl was ever on the rails to begin with. Which it wasn't.
    SNAP! and AMEN!

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    It always was enjoyable at best, but now not even that.
    I mainly kept watching because I think it has a great premise, which is what it has been unable to follow. (Hence the derailment). There's really not that much attention to the list anymore.

But yeah, it's a show I could easily live without. I watch it on TV here (since television is such a wasteland sometimes), it's nothing I'd "obtain" otherwise. Been skipping on more and more episodes as of late.

Have you continued with Coupling yet?
    Last movies seen

Last TV seasons watched

Currently reading

Have you continued with Coupling yet?
    I just finished season three. Easily one of the funniest shows I've seen. From about 2 or 3 episodes into season two to the end of season three it's been in top form. Jeff and Patrick are two of the funniest characters ever. I'm scared to move on to season four, if it's as bad as you say it is. I almost don't want to tarnish how good it's been.