Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 10162

Thread: The News Thread

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    OH MY GOD WHAT THE FUCK THIS HAS TO BE A JOKE I AM FULL OF RAGE NOW WAT
    Richard Whitehurst creates rape tunnel installation

* Artist creates 'The Rape Tunnel'
    * Says he will rape anyone who walks through
    * Police, feminist groups outraged

AN American artist has come under fire from police and feminist groups after constructing an artwork entitled The Rape Tunnel.

Richard Whitehurst, a Columbus-based artist, has constructed a 6.7 meter plywood tunnel opening onto a secret room to go on view at Columbus’ 4D Gallery on October 30th. He said for the duration of the gallery's opening, he will rape anyone who travels through the tunnel into that room.

In an interview with ARTLURKER a Miami based contemporary art newsletter, Whitehurst described his project.

"There is no way in or out of the project room except for this tunnel. As you travel through the tunnel, it gets smaller and smaller, making it so that you have to crawl and put yourself in a submissive position in order to reach the tunnel’s destination," Whitehurst said. "At the end of the tunnel the subject will find me waiting in the project room and I’ll try to the best of my ability to overpower and rape the person who crawls through." "I want to make it clear that I plan to make the experience as unpleasant as I possibly can to anyone who dares to crawl through the tunnel. I will try to the best of my ability to make them regret their decision."

It's not the first time Whitehurst has courted controversy. In 2007 he created an installation called the Punch You In The Face Tunnel. This time, he said, he wanted to have a greater impact.

"I started to think differently about my work. In 2007 at the Seward Projects Space in Columbus, I had my first breakthrough with an installation that was to be the prototype for this current one. It was called Punch You In The Face Tunnel. It was the same set-up as The Rape Tunnel except at the end of the tunnel I’d punch the subject in the face instead of raping him or her. The impetus was completely reactionary to the current state of art, and motivated by pure frustration.

"As it turns out, I ended up breaking the nose of the third person to crawl through the tunnel, an aspiring model. She went to the hospital and eventually sued me. Her modeling career was put on hold. The civil case was long and drawn out and the matter still hasn’t been resolved. To this day she still has unpaid medical bills. The point of this long aside is that all this took place two years ago, and I’m still having an impact on this young lady’s life, something not many other artists could claim about their work.

"Rape seemed like the next logical step."

Whitehouse said he wanted to show that rape was not always a black and white issue.

"The definition is argued almost everyday in courtrooms around the country. The woman who gets too drunk one night and regrets having sex the next morning, was she raped or not? There is no easy answer. I hope some of that ambiguity will manifest itself in this project."

Whether the project is art or assault may ultimately be determined by police. But Whitehouse said he was prepared to go to jail for the sake of his art.
    [
    ]

Seems like there'd be a HIPAA violation.

I didn't read the whole article.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Interesting article on internet addiction.
    ...and the milk's in me.

What happens if a man walks through the rape tunnel?
    Contagion (Soderbergh, 2011) - 6.5
    The Descendants (Payne, 2011) - 7.5
    Midnight in Paris (Allen, 2011) - 5
    Margin Call (Chandor, 2011) - 6.5
    The Ides of March (Clooney, 2011) - 5

Quote Quoting chrisnu (view post)
    What happens if a man walks through the rape tunnel?
    [
    ]
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    [
    ]
    Oops.

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    OH MY GOD WHAT THE FUCK THIS HAS TO BE A JOKE I AM FULL OF RAGE NOW WAT

http://www.salon.com/mwt/broadsheet/...ion/index.html
    Beyond the pale. Seriously, how is this considered remotely acceptable?

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    [
    ]
    Huh?

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    Huh?
    [
    ]
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Here's an article about somebody who is better than every single person on this website, including you.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6868673.ece
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Hey look, lying is a federal offense:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/10/12/fake.veteran/

I hearby place a citizen's arrest on all of Congress.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    Hey look, lying is a federal offense:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/10/12/fake.veteran/

I hearby place a citizen's arrest on all of Congress.
    Looks like the FBI were targeting him for fraud because of his non-profit group, and when they couldn't get him with it, they went with stolen valor.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I'm a sucker for strange news stories. This one is particularly good.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33284400...ws-weird_news/

Train drags half-naked mooner along tracks

BERLIN - A German man mooning railway staff in a departing train got his trousers caught in a carriage door and ended up being dragged half naked along the platform, out of the station and onto the tracks.

The 22-year-old journalism student shoved his backside against the window of a low-slung double-decker train when staff forced him off in Lauenbrueck for traveling without a ticket, a spokesman for police in the northern city of Bremen said.

"It's a miracle he wasn't badly hurt," the spokesman said on Monday. "This sort of thing can end up killing you."

Instead, dangling by his trousers, the man got pulled along for about 200 meters, all the while managing to keep his legs away from the wheels of the train.

The ordeal ended when a passenger pulled the emergency brake. Rescue services were called in, causing rail service between Bremen and Hamburg to be suspended for over an hour, delaying 23 trains.

The man — unharmed except for cuts and bruises — now faces charges of dangerous interference in rail transport and insulting the train staff and may face a sizeable compensation claim for the delays he caused, police said.

"He was full of remorse when I talked to him," the spokesman said. "And he advised others not to try the same thing."
    ...and the milk's in me.

I, too, am fond of "idiots get their comeuppance" news stories.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Movie Theater Diary

Just more than a year ago, Finland said it would make a 100Mb broadband connection a legal right by the end of 2015.

Wow, anyone following the story of the 6 year old kid that flew away in a homemade balloon? It's crazy. It's live now and he's falling...The balloon has almost hit the ground now

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...39/detail.html

live stream

Quote Quoting Saya (view post)
    Wow, anyone following the story of the 6 year old kid that flew away in a homemade balloon? It's crazy. It's live now and he's falling...The balloon has almost hit the ground now

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...39/detail.html

live stream
    Yeah, so scary. I had to stop watching the live feed, because it's freaking me out.
    ...and the milk's in me.

He landed quite softely and they are opening the balloon now. I mean it seemed like a soft landing... I must know if he survived...

Edit: Oh no...some people are saying the balloon was empty and that the kid fell out of it earlier...horrible!

Quote Quoting Saya (view post)
    He landed quite softely and they are opening the balloon now. I mean it seemed like a soft landing... I must know if he survived...
    SHIT. There's no one inside.

Oh, god. Please tell me he didn't fall.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Uuuh, no one was found in the balloon. Looks like the kid fell off.
    Movie Theater Diary

I don't want to point fingers at a family that may have just lost a son, but WHO THE HELL BUILDS EXPERIMENTAL AIRCRAFT IN THE BACKYARD????
    ...and the milk's in me.

AND WHO THE HELL NAMES THEIR CHILD FALCON AND EXPECTS HIM NOT TO, AT ONE POINT OR ANOTHER, TRY TO FLY?????

No, but seriously, that's horrible. They're talking about the chance on MSNBC now that maybe he never went in in the first place? Hope it's a hoax on that other brother's part

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    I don't want to point fingers at a family that may have just lost a son, but WHO THE HELL BUILDS EXPERIMENTAL AIRCRAFT IN THE BACKYARD????
    A weather obsessed mad scientist.
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Adam (view post)
    maybe he never went in in the first place? Hope it's a hoax on that other brother's part
    I hope now. That'd mean he had killed him or there was an accident, so he tried to cover his tracks.

He probably just faked his own death.

It's what I would do.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft