Page 5 of 407 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: The News Thread

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    Yeah those are good questions. Right now I'm going with goverment incompentance, but I'm sure there are other reasons....
    this might also be of interest:

Japanese Parliament Member Questions Official 9/11 Account, War on Terror on National TV 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

You can't trust the Japanese! The Japanese government isn't exactly squeaky clean. After all, they staged the Nagasaki bombing.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I just had the amusing visual of Scar boarding a plane to Japan, lecturing the their Parliament and then beating the members who still don't "get it" senseless with his Physics textbook.

The Japanese government may want to first question the legitimacy of the way their official text books portray the events of World War II.

Quote Quoting Daniel Davis (view post)
    The Japanese government may want to first question the legitimacy of the way their official text books portray the events of World War II.
    If that's really what concerns you, shouldn't you be worrying first about how official US textbooks portray say, the discovery of america? but really, aren't there more pressing issues at hand?
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Quote Quoting Milky Joe (view post)
    If that's really what concerns you, shouldn't you be worrying first about how official US textbooks portray say, the discovery of america? but really, aren't there more pressing issues at hand?
    I'm just saying - before pointing out a splinter in someone else's eye, they may want to check the log in theirs.

It's a common proverb. We should all just take care of our own crap, because many of the world's governments have made some terrible mistakes.

However, I do know that American text books explore the "discovery" of America a lot differently now than they did even when I was a kid. They are getting closer to "the truth." While in Japan, the opposite is happening with WWII - it's pretty scary actually.

gosh, I'm nearly offended by the notion that the intentional murder of 3000 of its own citizens for political gain is a "splinter" while some simple revisionist history qualifies as a "log."

In the context of comparing it against more pressing matters in the world, 9/11 really don't matter much, conspiracy or no conspiracy.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

gosh, I'm nearly offended by the notion that the intentional murder of 3000 of its own citizens for political gain is a "splinter" while some simple revisionist history qualifies as a "log."

I wasn't implying that one thing is a log and another is a splinter to say that one is more important than the other.

It's just a saying man. It means, don't point out my problems until you take care of your own.

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    In the context of comparing it against more pressing matters in the world, 9/11 really don't matter much, conspiracy or no conspiracy.

Amen.

heh, sorry. guess I read into it too much.

and while I agree that 9/11 takes a backseat to more immediate problems, it is still intimately related to them (though certainly not the cause of all of them).

pushing too many pencils Rowland's Avatar
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    The Long Riders (Hill) ***
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    Another 48 Hrs. (Hill) ***
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Besson) ***
    /Unknown/ (Collet-Serra) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

I'm glad I won't be touching my 401k for 30+ years.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Director
    Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    I'm glad I won't be touching my 401k for 30+ years.
    I'm glad I touched mine and moved a significant portion of it into the bond market.

The rest of it has been beaten to a pulp in the past few months.

Quote Quoting shaun (view post)
    I'm glad I touched mine and moved a significant portion of it into the bond market.

The rest of it has been beaten to a pulp in the past few months.

It's been a little rough for mine as well. Not too major, but downward is still depressing.

Yikes. Signs of an economic downturn world wide perhaps? I hope not.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    There is no way the world markets won't be critically damaged by our borderline-crashing economy.
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

Quote Quoting Rowland (view post)
    There is no way the world markets won't be critically damaged by our borderline-crashing economy.
    Yeah I sadly agree with you there, but I was kind of hoping for the best while expecting the worst.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Director
    If U.S. stocks open on Tuesday at the levels futures are currently indicating, it would push major indexes dangerously close to bear market territory -- or a 20 percent drop from their peak in October. That would mark the death of the bull market that began in early October 2002.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/bonds...42360720080121
    It's pretty much a foregone conclusion at this point. We live in a global economy, US indexes are down 10% so far this year, the 2nd biggest economy in Japan has a bigger debt to GDP ratio than even us and getting bigger, and index futures are indicating a bloody day for the Dow tomorrow... likely in the 600-700 point range.

On the plus side though, a 30 year fixed rate will likely be around 4% within a year for anyone looking to buy.
    Well I agree in theory, but it's not entirely on the US. The housing crisis and high government debt is a global issue.

Global Market Crisis continues today.

"You can't stop what's coming."
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

Letterboxd rating scale:
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

So let me get this straight, the Fed cuts interest rates to respond to a weakening economy. Things get a little better before they get even worse. The Fed responds by cutting interest rates. Things get a little better before they get even worse. So what does the Fed do? Respond by dropping interest rates more than they ever have. What is the logical outcome of that, given what we've already seen to be the pattern?

So let me get this straight, the Fed cuts interest rates to respond to a weakening economy. Things get a little better before they get even worse. The Fed responds by cutting interest rates. Things get a little better before they get even worse. So what does the Fed do? Respond by dropping interest rates more than they ever have. What is the logical outcome of that, given what we've already seen to be the pattern?
    The Dollar Holocaust, of course.
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

Letterboxd rating scale: