Thread: The News Thread

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    FUCKING YIIiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiikes

https://heavy.com/news/2020/06/fiona...m-viral-video/
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Guys should I split out these posts as a stand alone thread?

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Sure.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    FUCKING YIIiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiikes

https://heavy.com/news/2020/06/fiona...m-viral-video/
    That's the funniest 17 seconds I've seen in awhile. Like a 17 second microcosm of everything 2020 Humans of Late Capitalism.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Producer
    The mother of all pauses

Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    'Unless things change'.

Been thinking about that. Things need to change, but what does that really mean? For things to change. To banish racism altogether? That ain't gonna happen. So does it mean to stop/prevent the rioting, pillaging and the wanton destruction of property? I think that's going to remain too, that's the ugly underbelly of humanity also. It feeds off of tragedies like what happened to Floyd.

Can things change? Is that realistic? What happened with George Floyd is deplorable, but these instances are not commonplace, like they can be rooted out because of their frequency. Chances are in 2024 some other racist cop, who up until that point had been a really good boy and wasn't on anyone's radar, is going to think his time has come to act all manly and without pondering the consequences, and shit's gonna start all over again. And the evil 'protesters', the ones that don't care about their civil duty to defend human rights, are going to have a field day all over again. Just stir some shit up. Cuz why the fuck not?

You can never really take the necessary actions to totally prevent these calamities. All it takes is one asshole cop.
    I lost my response to this post because my internet sucks. Policing the police and actually convicting cops who murder people would be a good start. Also it would be great if the police focused on community outreach. I dunno, I just work at a grocery store dude. But not doing anything or trying something new is why gun violence in the US is not addressed. Peng, and Skitch had some good ideas.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Also yeah you do have to try and vote for people who will enact systematic change. Otherwise you end up with people like Amy Klobuchar who is largely responsible for what is happening in Minnesota right now.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    Otherwise you end up with people like Amy Klobuchar who is largely responsible for what is happening in Minnesota right now.
    Um. No. Minneapolis has a long and troubling history in terms of bigotry, well before Sen. Klobuchar was a local prosecutor. To pin all this on her is neither fair nor accurate. Allow me to elaborate.

MSP Airport was once called Lindbergh Airport, named after Charles Lindbergh, the famous aviator - who also was a virulent anti-semite and nazi sympathizer. In fact, Minneapolis was once called The Anti-Semite capital of the United States. There was a fascist anti-Semite group called the Silver Shirts with a strong Mpls presence. At least until the Jewish community started fighting back - yeah, they actually crashed White Shirt gatherings and beat the shit out of everyone there. That put an end to the White Shirts.

Meanwhile, redlining practices throughout the decades have resulted in one of the most segregated cities in the entire nation. In the 60s, the thriving mostly black Rondo neighborhood was bulldozed to make way for the the highway 94 corridor. Redlining seriously limited where displaced families could go. The Minnesota State fairgrounds lies on what was once a black neighborhood, again bulldozed for a space that remains largely unused for a good portion of the year. My south Minneapolis neighborhood was built in the 20s and advertised as a whites-only neighborhood. Shit, as recently as 1995, the occupant of the house four doors down from me had the temerity to distribute apologies to his neighbors on paper pamphlets when he unknowingly sold his house to a black man. (this man, Nemo, is married to a white woman, who handled all matters of purchasing the house. Nemo only showed up once the selling agreement was set and all that remained was signing the deed, on the justified fear that the seller would back out when he saw the color of Nemo's skin).

I personally think a place to start is for people here to start reconciling with this past, so we can start unraveling the damage it has done over the years. I say this as a longtime Minneapolitan who loves his town.
    Last edited by bac0n; 06-03-2020 at 12:43 PM.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    Shit, as recently as 1995, the occupant of the house four doors down from me had the temerity to distribute apologies to his neighbors on paper pamphlets when he unknowingly sold his house to a black man. (this man, Nemo, is married to a white woman, who handled all matters of purchasing the house. Nemo only showed up once the selling agreement was set and all that remained was signing the deed, on the justified fear that the seller would back out when he saw the color of Nemo's skin).
    Whaaaaaaaat?

The other day I told my buddy I'm so sick of these Trumpers (around me) believing any fucking conspiracy bullshit that I'm going to make up my own conspiracies to drop on them so we can both stare at each other stupidly. This was triggered by my family sharing conspiracy that George Floyd was killed by extreme leftists and the event staged for film to make the right and Trump look bad. I said well in that case, since they said 80% of the rioters were from out of town (since pulled back to 20%), I'm gonna say those were GOP/KKK plants there to make protesters look bad.

Yesterday I saw pics and videos of piles of bricks strategically placed along protest routes, with headlines (memes) claiming "This is what Antifa does!!"

Today I see several videos of pallets of bricks being unloaded from trucks guarded by police cars. Another video was a police truck full of bricks being unloaded by cops.

:/

I've seen a collection of tweets alleging situation where, after cops joined the protestors and had a dialogue with them for a photo op, right after the cameras left they started beating, gasing and macing everyone.
    And yeah, plenty of evidence for police unloading brick pallets, unfortunately.

Sent from my Mi 9 Lite using Tapatalk

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    I've seen a collection of tweets alleging situation where, after cops joined the protestors and had a dialogue with them for a photo op, right after the cameras left they started beating, gasing and macing everyone.

Sent from my Mi 9 Lite using Tapatalk
    I've seen these tweets too and I'm taking them with a grain of salt.

Did ya do any digging into the cops planting bricks or just take it at face value?
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    Did ya do any digging into the cops planting bricks or just take it at face value?
    The only thing I've seen is this - https://www.universalhub.com/2020/no...are-theirs-and

Which btw, is my Alma mater.

Thanks duke, that was the one I was going to reference.

I don't believe anything. I just meant that I could throw that as an equally unsubstantiated nonsense argument out to the conspiracy nuts.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I don't believe anything. I just meant that I could throw that as an equally unsubstantiated nonsense argument out to the conspiracy nuts.

Got it. Sleep deprivation is catching up to me. Let’s get some flat earthers in the mix, too.

Got it. Sleep deprivation is catching up to me. Let’s get some flat earthers in the mix, too.
    Also to be clear, these conversations with conspiracy people I'm talking about are all IRL. I don't share stuff or post stuff of that nature. I'm actually actively trying to change the feed of fb by not sharing that stuff, and only sharing fun or positive stuff.

I found out to my Horror that three women with whom I'd had relations at one point are all anti-vaccines. Two of them have kids.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Whaaaaaaaat?
    No shit. Nemo told me that and my jaw about dropped to the floor. Racism up here tends to be more discreet.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

It seems German police has a new lead in the case of the dissapearance of Maddie McCann, the little girl who went missing in Portugal in 2007 when she was only 3. It was a huge deal in the European press and is now front and center once again. The lead is considered pretty solid.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Spirit Animal:

That was slick

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    That was slick
    Second AR he recovered that day.

Where are these people getting them? Only SWAT has that kind of firepower so they can't be breaking into cop cars.