Page 359 of 407 FirstFirst ... 259309349357358359360361369 ... LastLast
Results 8,951 to 8,975 of 10162

Thread: The News Thread

Holy shit. This might be one of the biggest news in sports history.

The American DOJ is going after FIFA for corruption and racketeering charges. Top officials have been arrested in Zurich and will be extradited by the Swiss government to the US. Sepp Blatter isn't arrested... yet... but his Vice President is. They're expecting to make more arrests in the coming days.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-32895048

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/28/sp...them.html?_r=0
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Bigger than deflategate?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

What is that?
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Lol. I was kidding. But if you really want to know.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deflategate

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

That's just awesome.

After all the tragedy in Qatar, and now this FIFA stuff, I'm done with World Cup soccer. Just can't ethically support anything about it.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Judicial overreach, if you ask me.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    Judicial overreach, if you ask me.
    ...but only if I ask you, right?
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Obama just gave one of the most impassioned speeches of his presidency at Clementa Pinckney's funeral. Dude has a career as a preacher once he's done being POTUS.

I don't mean to gripe on such a momentously happy day, but I'm just a little frustrated in Kennedy. This is his fourth written opinion in favor of gay rights, and yet he still failed to envelope homosexuals in the legal protection of being labeled as a suspect class of individuals, which would have acknowledged the historical discrimination against them and required further legislation to hold up against strict judicial scrutiny in issues of equal protection. Maybe then we would get any more of these ridiculously discriminatory laws specifically targeting gays and lesbians.

I'm not sure what it says about me as a person (voting-wise Independent), but my first thought when I heard the news story was "Finally...and uh oh." Why? Because an election year is on the horizon and that pendulum swings as wide right as it does left. The R's that have been put forth thus far are pretty scary. Two steps forward, five back.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I'm not sure what it says about me as a person (voting-wise Independent), but my first thought when I heard the news story was "Finally...and uh oh." Why? Because an election year is on the horizon and that pendulum swings as wide right as it does left. The R's that have been put forth thus far are pretty scary. Two steps forward, five back.
    I honestly think the Republicans are going to diminish its value as a social "wedge issue," as the millennial Republicans favor gay marriage rights at about a 60/40 rate. And the distance between now and election time offers us as voters plenty of time to forget the more incendiary comments from candidates.

Ha!!
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

- - - - -
    I'm not sure what's more surprising here -- that Jared from Subway might be a pedophile, or that he's worth $15 million.

http://www.businessinsider.com/fbi-r...d-fogle-2015-7

He's going to be spending all that money on defense lawyers.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

I wasn't even sure where to post this. What the fuck. Someone has stolen FW Murnau's skull from his grave.

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/f-w-murnau-head-stolen-nosferatu-dracula-1201540223/
    Movie Theater Diary

The threat is very real!

“It will be mandated to be taught to the children in the schools, at an early age, starting in kindergarten. They will be encouraged by their teachers to participate in anal sex.”

http://www.texasobserver.org/new-coa...-gay-marriage/

If only Obama had armed Iran like Reagan did maybe the neocon idiots would be praising this deal.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Oops!

Online cheating site AshleyMadison hacked. Hackers say they will expose the names, nude pics and posted sexual fantasies of the 37 million customers of dating website Ashley Madison if it is not shut down, KrebsOnSecurity reports. The hackers have released some customer information over the weekend as well as "maps of internal company servers, employee network account information, company bank account data and salary information" of AvidLifeMedia, the Canada-based company that owns the website.

I'm pretty sure Lawyers.Com is behind the breach.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    I'm pretty sure Lawyers.Com is behind the breach.
    WHERE IS MY CHICKEN YOU SON OF A BITCH

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    WHERE IS MY CHICKEN YOU SON OF A BITCH
    Sorry, had a little Lower GI issue on the flight back. I would estimate what was once the chicken to be floating in air somewhere between Karachi and Tehran.

It's gross that the hack is being misconstrued as some kind of moral stance, when the group pretty much admitted that they're disgruntled customers protesting the $19 account cancellation fee.

Also, I feel like the news about this are focusing on the cheating site Ashley Madison specifically to spin some kind of public ambivalence for the victims of the crime, but the group hacked the database of the entire parent company, which also includes the personal information of multiple other sites they run that are not for infidelity, like The Big and The beautiful, which is a dating site for overweight people.

Calling it an act of hacktivism is so grossly, disgustingly inaccurate.
    Movie Theater Diary

Well, infidelity is not really a crime.

Although if you're leaving information about it on an online account... I'd say you pretty much deserve to get caught.

Never trust the Internet.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular