Page 344 of 407 FirstFirst ... 244294334342343344345346354394 ... LastLast
Results 8,576 to 8,600 of 10162

Thread: The News Thread

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    So all those kids in high school who put in no effort should be entitled to do it for 4 more years?
    College should be difficult, that's all. If you put in no effort you won't become a lawyer / doctor / architect / painter / musician whatever, regardless of how your education is structured. But you should always have a chance. A career shouldn't put an economic stress in you or your family. That's just a way to get you to choose working over studying and, in turn, become a cog in the machine rather than a man with ideas of his own.

I actually really like the idea of higher educations as a place where people are entitled to receive it, but because they aren't putting up their own money, they don't feel entitled to a good grade because they feel like a consumer who is paying for a service.

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    ...they don't feel entitled to a good grade because they feel like a consumer who is paying for a service.
    These students are THE WORST.
    ...and the milk's in me.

- - - - -
    Vocational school because fuck poetry, am I right??!

Yeah, saw a ton of that during my undergrad and I found it upsetting and disheartening. I expect to see more as I T.A. and teach in the future, and I'm not thrilled about it.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    These students are THE WORST.
    That strikes me as odd. My first go at college didn't fare so well for me from an academic standpoint, mostly because I was immature coming out of highschool, but I think a big factor in it was, since it was my parents footing the bill, I didn't really have any skin in the game, and didn't see the value of it.

On my second attempt, however, I was paying it all myself, and since I was pouring so much money into school that I would have rather poured into doing things like, enjoying my 20s, for example, I felt the need to get as much out of that money I was spending as I possibly could, so I studied hard, cultivated relationships with my teachers, and pretty much got straight As.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

I bombed out of two colleges after getting a two year degree. It's not for everyone. However the crushing student loan debt is a good argument against going.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    So all those kids in high school who put in no effort should be entitled to do it for 4 more years?
    Their grades would still have to be high enough for acceptance, and they'd have to choose to go. C'mon Duke, I know you're the only one on your side of the argument and that can be a pain, but that is one weak counter argument.

- - - - -
    Highschool is required by law and paid for by property taxes. Duke's wondering why he should theoretically want to pay the college tuition bill of someone who doesn't really want to be there.

That's not a bad question because the tax burden for free college education would be laid at the fit of the middle class.

Otoh, once you go down the rabbit hole it gets ugly-- like wondering why, as a single man, you pay for other people's maternity leave. Or why you're paying to have other people's kids educated to any single standard.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Highschool is required by law and paid for by property taxes. Duke's wondering why he should theoretically want to pay the college tuition bill of someone who doesn't really want to be there.

That's not a bad question because the tax burden for free college education would be laid at the fit of the middle class.

Otoh, once you go down the rabbit hole it gets ugly-- like wondering why, as a single man, you pay for other people's maternity leave. Or why you're paying to have other people's kids educated to any single standard.
    The middle class is already paying for everyone's healthcare, what's a free education on top of it...
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

The middle class is already paying for everyone's healthcare, what's a free education on top of it...
    That's what I'm saying! I think that's cool.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Amen!

I'd rather pay for someone's education and healthcare than spend another goddamn cent on the MIC.

Exactly. Except you make it sound like a bad thing.

- - - - -
    Uh, okay. Show of hands? How many people in this thread actually pay property taxes?

I have no problem paying for education or health care over many of the other wasteful spending habits of our government.

Uh, okay. Show of hands? How many people in this thread actually pay property taxes?
    Did for years, don't currently but will again in about a year or so.

I do. Very high, too, in WA because we don't have state income tax.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Exactly. Except you make it sound like a bad thing.
    :frustrated:
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Define "no effort." You still have to attend and pass classes. That doesn't change. Nobody is saying you are entitled to a degree.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    I do. It's factored into my mortgage.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    A career shouldn't put an economic stress in you or your family. That's just a way to get you to choose working over studying and, in turn, become a cog in the machine rather than a man with ideas of his own.
    This is a fantastic statement and one which I wholeheartedly agree with. I'll add in "your health" to the career bit.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

I pay property taxes. They're pretty high in the city, too.

I pay property taxes too. They're about twice in Minneapolis as they are in some of the suburbs, but then again, we have arguably the best system of parks and greenways of any city in the US, so I feel the extra money is worth it.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

I rent an apartment. So no. Also last I checked you still have to be admitted to a college. If you have shitty high school grades you would be lucky to even get into community college.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?