Page 328 of 407 FirstFirst ... 228278318326327328329330338378 ... LastLast
Results 8,176 to 8,200 of 10162

Thread: The News Thread

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    So... They murdered her? And the agents killed were collateral damage of their own shooting?
    No agents were killed. She hit one with her car.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Who needs mental healthcare when we have hotheaded, armed police willing to shoot anyone at any time for any thing?

C'mon now. You can't fuck around near the White House AND capitol, ignore police demands to pull over, and expect them to be act like social workers.
    Now reading: The Master Switch by Tim Wu

Quote Quoting Benny Profane (view post)
    C'mon now. You can't fuck around near the White House AND capitol, ignore police demands to pull over, and expect them to be act like social workers.
    I think the idea is that she should have received mental health services long before it got to this point.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    I think the idea is that she should have received mental health services long before it got to this point.
    Seemed like Davis was clearly blaming police for shooting her.

Anyway, how do you know if she received mental health services, or sought them out and was refused?

I don't.

But since I work for a company that provides mental health services, I know how devastating the budget cuts to those services have been for vulnerable populations, and I think that's a serious conversation that we need to be having as a county.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    Bingo.

Bingo.
    Link that shows this woman being refused mental health treatment?

Way to backpedal Davis. :lol:

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

If she truly did just get out of her car after the crash and was immediately shot without any threatening movements, then the police should be fully accountable for their actions. I expect the police to act like human beings, regardless of whether this takes place in a small town or in the Capitol. Congress and the President's safety don't mean they get to ignore basic police procedures.

Link that shows this woman being refused mental health treatment?
    Assumed since this happened in America.

It's just a simple fact that America has some of the worst mental health treatment around, even though we spend a lot on research and drugs. Regan cut funding in the '80s, and there is still a huge stigma about mental health today in this country.

Many of our modern tragedies could have been completely avoided had we invested more in mental health care and preventative treatment.

Quote Quoting Barty (view post)
    If she truly did just get out of her car after the crash and was immediately shot without any threatening movements, then the police should be fully accountable for their actions. I expect the police to act like human beings, regardless of whether this takes place in a small town or in the Capitol. Congress and the President's safety don't mean they get to ignore basic police procedures.
    Police should be fully accountable for their actions each and every time they kill someone. Unless it's truly life-saving self defense, it's murder.

Exactly. I understand fear of terrorism (I'm not gonna delve into exactly how unfounded that might be) means someone crashing the Capitol gates is a full red sign of danger, but once you make out that your target is unarmed, whoever keeps shooting at it is accountable for it.

EDIT: Plus of course the recent events of armed civilians killing people in public places.

Quote Quoting Barty (view post)
    I have seen reports that say she was shot while in her car. It doesn't really matter to me though. She may not have had a weapon but she did use her car as a weapon multiple times against police officers and her behavior indicated she was likely an immediate threat to national security. She may have had a bomb strapped to her chest or under her car that she was trying but failing to detonate by crashing it into things. Can't fault the cops for their reaction.

Assumed since this happened in America.
    Ha. You're making a huge leap blaming our healthcare system not knowing any of the facts. It's not hard to find a shrink anywhere in America especially in CT. She was not a homeless person. She had a job and was driving a nice Infiniti sedan.

The very fact that you said "shrink" just shows how far behind we are in the way we deal with and think about mental health in this country. Not to mention the fact that many insurance plans do not cover mental health treatment.

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    Hah! Are you mentally ill, but just not ready to make that leap towards a killing spree? Just go to a shrink! They'll provide you with a cornucopia of pharmaceutical drugs that will cause you to snap effectively and efficiently.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Driving a car through armed officers in one of the more secure places in the US? Yeah, sorry, no time to consider mental health in that moment, sorry.

This can be looked at to see what was done wrong beforehand... But in that moment, yeah... Had to happen.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

If she really was still in the car when the cops started shooting at her, they are goddamn lucky none of the bullets hit the baby.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

The very fact that you said "shrink" just shows how far behind we are in the way we deal with and think about mental health in this country. Not to mention the fact that many insurance plans do not cover mental health treatment.
    Exactly.

And now some guy lit himself on fire in the National Mall. He died.

I'm hoping that all this crazy shit stops here before long, since I'd like to take my family back down before we get shipped out of the area probably next summer.
    *coming soon*

Top 100

I have struggled with mental health issues (first depression, now anxiety) for most of my adult life. I use the word "shrink" all the time.

I will also add that over my ~20 years of adulthood, mental health insurance coverage has improved so much. Yes, there is still a huge stigma, though.

- - - - -

What's the problem with that tweet?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

- - - - -

https://twitter.com/JoyceEvansFox29/...18681433083905

More American journalism at its finest.

So much for the theory that Miriam Carey had no access to treatment for mental illness

In an interview with CNN, Miriam Carey's two sisters — Amy Carey-Jones and Valerie Carey — said their sister was tapering off medications under the watch of her doctor.

Amy told CNN that Miriam was not bipolar nor schizophrenic, instead her doctors had diagnosed her with postpartum depression with psychosis.