Page 3 of 407 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: The News Thread

If they were drinking outside of school hours and property, how is this the school's business?

It's all in the caffeine EvilShoe's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    I'm with the kids on this one.
    Yeah, what the hell?

I can't believe the poll on that news page has 60% (7753 votes!!) of the participants agreeing that schools should be able to use Facebook information to discipline students. :crazy:
    Last movies seen
    Frank: Good
    Mistaken for Strangers: Good
    Guardians of the Galaxy: Good

Last TV seasons watched

Treme (S04): Good
    The Legend of Korra (S03): Good

Currently reading
    This Side of Paradise - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Director
    People are incredibly naive if they think the pictures of them on social networking sites aren't looked into by prospective employers, especially public service positions like law enforcement, teaching, etc...

I don't like it and I happen side with the kids here, but this is a generation that will have their entire lives detailed online, by themselves no less. They'd better get used to it.

If you're going to be dumb enough to post pictures of you doing illegal stuff on a public website, then you should be punished. Plus, some of the kids suspended had signed documents saying that they would not have alcohol or what not.

This is nothing new. If photos surfaced of you partying when I was in school, you got suspended from activities and such.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    If you're going to be dumb enough to post pictures of you doing illegal stuff on a public website, then you should be punished. Plus, some of the kids suspended had signed documents saying that they would not have alcohol or what not.

This is nothing new. If photos surfaced of you partying when I was in school, you got suspended from activities and such.
    They absolutely should be punished. By their parents. What happens off of school grounds is none of the school's business. It's different from a job. If the teachers or principal want to bring it to the parent's attention, that's great. I'm all for it. But to punish a student (and suspending a partying teen isn't much of a punishment, is it?), by keeping them out of school for their misdeeds out of school is nonsensical.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    They absolutely should be punished. By their parents. What happens off of school grounds is none of the school's business. It's different from a job. If the teachers or principal want to bring it to the parent's attention, that's great. I'm all for it. But to punish a student (and suspending a partying teen isn't much of a punishment, is it?), by keeping them out of school for their misdeeds out of school is nonsensical.
    You suspend the kids who walk out of class. You suspend the party boys/girls from their activities. Which is what happened, in the case of the partyers.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

I was always in the mind that teachers should not be contained to school grounds only. As an educator, you have to be ready to guide these kids at all cost. I know most teachers don't see it that way, and only see it as a job, and there's nothing wrong with that... but there's also nothing wrong with trying to steer kids out of trouble. The notion that school should just be a place where they read textbooks to you is ridiculous. They don't need to be militant, but they should at least show care. I like teachers that are parental. Maybe suspension isn't the best form of punishment, but the school should not be chastised for dealing out punishment.

Or maybe I just read too much Great Teacher Onizuka. Whatever.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

dissolved into molecules lovejuice's Avatar
    Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    nice!
    "Over analysis is like the oil of the Match-Cut machine." KK2.0

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    You suspend the kids who walk out of class. You suspend the party boys/girls from their activities. Which is what happened, in the case of the partyers.
    I agree that the kids who walked out should be suspended, and probably will, but I would have walked too. Again, it's none of the schools business what its students do outside of school property. If they feel it's their responsibility to contact the parents, that's fantastic, and the right thing to do, IMO. But punishing them at school is going beyond what should be their rights as teachers and principals.

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Yeah.

In Japan, basically if you are wearing your school uniform, you can get in trouble by school officials anywhere, and at any time.

Well, the stigma is very different in Japan (I think that's where I'm coming from with my opinion), and it's not always due to them wearing a uniform. It's more common in Japan for teachers to visit students' houses on their day off to talk to their family on how the kid is doing at school. They just don't do that here.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Make sure to let us know how many mailmen challenge the account, too.

My biggest problem with the disciplinary action is that there's no definitive proof that the kids were drinking alcohol. Now obviously when you see teenagers with red cups dancing around, there's most likely some alcohol involved, but what if one or two of those kids chose not to drink for personal reasons and only had soda in the cup? I'd have no problem with the school alerting the parents so they can come to their own conclusions, talk to their kids and decide the proper punishment, but for a school to essentially convict every kid without any concrete proof that they did anything illegal sends a pretty shitty message IMO.

Those are some heavy hitters, but I highly doubt anything will come of it. Some of the questions asked are good ones, although I don't believe in the "WTC was brought down by a controlled demolition" theory which was debunked by Popular Mechanics.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    Those are some heavy hitters, but I highly doubt anything will come of it. Some of the questions asked are good ones, although I don't believe in the "WTC was brought down by a controlled demolition" theory which was debunked by Popular Mechanics.
    Those are heavy hitters?

Wow.

must...... resist...... temptations....... :frustrated:
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Those are heavy hitters?

Wow.
    Judging by many of their creditionals I'd say so. *Shrug*
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Those are heavy hitters?

Wow.
    The guy that leaked the Pentagon Papers isn't a heavy hitter?

Quote Quoting Milky Joe (view post)
    The guy that leaked the Pentagon Papers isn't a heavy hitter?
    How, exactly, does a guy who leaked government documents bring credibility to your 'theories'?

How, exactly, does a guy who leaked government documents bring credibility to your 'theories'?
    The guy actually leaked them for a very good, valid reason. The government lied their fucking asses off to us about the Vietnam War, and thanks to him we discovered it. Among other things.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

The guy actually leaked them for a very good, valid reason. The government lied their fucking asses off to us about the Vietnam War, and thanks to him we discovered it. Among other things.
    Uh huh....

Uh huh....
    I great this post with a :lol: and a :|
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

I great this post with a :lol: and a :|
    My point is: He leaked the Pentagon Papers. What does that have to do w/ 9/11? He distrusts the goverment, fine. Can he comprehend a Physics Textbook?

Quote Quoting Derek (view post)
    My biggest problem with the disciplinary action is that there's no definitive proof that the kids were drinking alcohol. Now obviously when you see teenagers with red cups dancing around, there's most likely some alcohol involved, but what if one or two of those kids chose not to drink for personal reasons and only had soda in the cup? I'd have no problem with the school alerting the parents so they can come to their own conclusions, talk to their kids and decide the proper punishment, but for a school to essentially convict every kid without any concrete proof that they did anything illegal sends a pretty shitty message IMO.
    Here's an interesting tidbit of information that the local media hasn't really been forthcoming about: it would appear that 42 students provided testimony of the incident to the administrators who doled out the punishment. Now, that's not definitive proof, but it's pretty damned close.

I'm also hearing that the 13 kids who got disciplined signed a no-drinking contract with the team or whatever the hell it was they were involved with. I could be wrong, but if that's the case, then they did break school rules, and it's within the school's rights to punish them.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Page 3 of 407 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast