Page 101 of 407 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151201 ... LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,525 of 10162

Thread: The News Thread

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar

“What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

I'm sure The Daily Show had a field day with that.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Verrrry interesting. This would give Barty a heart attack. German millionaires reject Gates and Buffet's pledge invitation, and check out the reason:

Krämer: I find the US initiative highly problematic. You can write donations off in your taxes to a large degree in the USA. So the rich make a choice: Would I rather donate or pay taxes? The donors are taking the place of the state. That's unacceptable.

SPIEGEL: But doesn't the money that is donated serve the common good?

Krämer: It is all just a bad transfer of power from the state to billionaires. So it's not the state that determines what is good for the people, but rather the rich want to decide. That's a development that I find really bad. What legitimacy do these people have to decide where massive sums of money will flow?

SPIEGEL: It is their money at the end of the day.

Krämer: In this case, 40 superwealthy people want to decide what their money will be used for. That runs counter to the democratically legitimate state. In the end the billionaires are indulging in hobbies that might be in the common good, but are very personal.
    Keep in mind that Germany's social programs is so much better handled than ours, and they recently asked the government to increase taxes for the rich.

EDIT: Source.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I actually think this has spurred some very interesting debates. I guess when it comes down to it, it's just a matter of the German people trusting their government to put their money to good use, while Americans don't.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Mexico pulls ahead of the US regarding civil rights.

We suck!

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/11/wo.../11mexico.html

She was too pretty.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    She was too pretty.
    I'd say she was a hot of piece ass.

Last 5 Viewed
    Riddick (David Twohy | 2013 | USA/UK)
    Night Across the Street (Raoul Ruiz | 2012 | Chile/France)*
    Pain & Gain (Michael Bay | 2013 | USA)*
    You're Next (Adam Wingard | 2011 | USA)
    Little Odessa (James Gray | 1994 | USA)*

*recommended *highly recommended

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

twitter | next projection | criticker | frames within frames

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Verrrry interesting. This would give Barty a heart attack. German millionaires reject Gates and Buffet's pledge invitation, and check out the reason:

Keep in mind that Germany's social programs is so much better handled than ours, and they recently asked the government to increase taxes for the rich.

Seems to me the answer is to get rid of the tax breaks for charitable donations. And while we're at it, might as well raise capital gains tax.

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    And a hoax!
    Yeah, that one felt kinda fishy.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

I actually think this has spurred some very interesting debates. I guess when it comes down to it, it's just a matter of the German people trusting their government to put their money to good use, while Americans don't.
    Perhaps they're either more trusting, or their government has actually given them a reason to trust it. Either way, they're not being cynical enough, damnit :P
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

But these guys are giving away 50% of their assets, not 50% of their incomes, right?

So, to make it really simple, let's say a guy has $10 billion in assets and is going to give away $5 billion. Now, let's say his yearly income is $1 billion (generous, I think), and let's say he pays 50% of that to the tax man, or $500 million. That's still a full order of magnitude less than what he's giving away to charity. So ultimately you're getting ~10 times as much money flowing towards a very generalized idea of the public good, which I think I'm OK with, as long as schools and roads and shit don't start falling apart, except that that's already happening, so...
    Wishful thinking, perhaps; but that is just another possible definition of the featherless biped.

Quote Quoting Duncan (view post)
    So, to make it really simple, let's say a guy has $10 billion in assets and is going to give away $5 billion. Now, let's say his yearly income is $1 billion (generous, I think), and let's say he pays 50% of that to the tax man, or $500 million.
    I think the math is a bit off. Most of these guys pledge to give it away after death. Per your simplification, that's $5 billion given away once, versus $500 million given away every year. If the guy lives for 20 more years, that'd be twice the amount of the pledge in taxes.
    Movie Theater Diary

Fines in Sweden are based on the offense and... the person's income level? Interesting.

$962,000 speeding ticket.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    Fines in Sweden are based on the offense and... the person's income level? Interesting.

$962,000 speeding ticket.
    Looks like it's actually Switzerland. The driver was Swedish, driving in Switzerland.

Also ...

Police said the 37-year-old motorist was driving so fast in this $240,000 sports car that it took him nearly half a mile to stop.
    Police said he had eluded being zapped by numerous radars en route simply because he was going too fast and they were unable to clock speeds beyond 125 mph.
    Wow.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    Looks like it's actually Switzerland. The driver was Swedish, driving in Switzerland.
    ...you're right. I'm trying to word a joke about how long it took him to brake and going between those two countries, but it's not working out geographically.

"Ha ha ha he probably started in Sweden, then sped through Finland, clipped Russia, Estonia, Latvia, then... aw, never mind."
    ...and the milk's in me.

I think the math is a bit off. Most of these guys pledge to give it away after death. Per your simplification, that's $5 billion given away once, versus $500 million given away every year. If the guy lives for 20 more years, that'd be twice the amount of the pledge in taxes.
    Well, in that case, I don't think you can write off a pledge to give an unspecified amount of money on some unspecified date in the future, so you'd still be paying income tax all those years until you died + the lump sum posthumous donation.
    Wishful thinking, perhaps; but that is just another possible definition of the featherless biped.

Contagion (Soderbergh, 2011) - 6.5
    The Descendants (Payne, 2011) - 7.5
    Midnight in Paris (Allen, 2011) - 5
    Margin Call (Chandor, 2011) - 6.5
    The Ides of March (Clooney, 2011) - 5

Which means that traditional marriage should be completely undermined by .... what? ... late October?
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Which means that traditional marriage should be completely undermined by .... what? ... late October?
    The sinkhole underneath San Francisco is already opening.
    Contagion (Soderbergh, 2011) - 6.5
    The Descendants (Payne, 2011) - 7.5
    Midnight in Paris (Allen, 2011) - 5
    Margin Call (Chandor, 2011) - 6.5
    The Ides of March (Clooney, 2011) - 5

Makes a completely mockery out of my straight divorce.

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Makes a completely mockery out of my straight divorce.
    How do ya think Newt Gingrich feels?
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)