Page 402 of 407 FirstFirst ... 302352392400401402403404 ... LastLast
Results 10,026 to 10,050 of 10162

Thread: The News Thread

If it was Jeff Bezos would you feel differently?
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    If it was Jeff Bezos would you feel differently?
    Missing the point. The better question would be, what did the $90 million actually fund? Or how much ended up being funneled to "administration fees" and other bs that didn't even help the movement. The fundraiser just being a facade is what I think duke's trying to point out. People that work for charity are entitled to a salary like anyone, but it's suspicious when they're getting multiple million-dollar homes.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    I don't see what the issue is. Presumably as the head of a charitable organization she collects a salary and is entitled to spend it as she pleases. Do right-wingers expect her to work for free?
    Quote Quoting BLM Global Network
    Patrisse Cullors is the Executive Director of Black Lives Matter Global Network Foundation (BLMGNF). She serves in this role in a volunteer capacity and does not receive a salary or benefits. Patrisse has received a total of $120,000 since the organization’s inception in 2013, for duties such as serving as spokesperson and engaging in political education work. Patrisse did not receive any compensation after 2019.

To be abundantly clear, as a registered 501c3, BLMGNF cannot and did not commit any organizational resources toward the purchase of personal property by any employee or volunteer. Any insinuation or assertion to the contrary is categorically false.
    https://news.yahoo.com/blm-official-...114017918.html

You guys seem to think $90 million is a lot more than it is.

PS: The chick signed a development deal with Warners Television Group last year. Who knows what's going on, or what money went where, but it's interesting nobody considered she might have other sources of income (including from her spouse).

ETA: She also published a bestselling book.
    Last edited by Irish; 04-13-2021 at 08:55 PM.

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Missing the point. The better question would be, what did the $90 million actually fund? Or how much ended up being funneled to "administration fees" and other bs that didn't even help the movement. The fundraiser just being a facade is what I think duke's trying to point out. People that work for charity are entitled to a salary like anyone, but it's suspicious when they're getting multiple million-dollar homes.
    No, I get that 100%.

My point is that Bezos has done much shadier stuff with much, much, MUCH larger amounts of money. Yet he is someone Duke consistently supports and even admires.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    I'm not really getting into this convo, but 90 million is mother fucking lot of money to a vast majority of people, any way you slice it.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Missing the point.
    It's exactly the point. If she were white and this were a "white" charity, this wouldn't be a story.

For comparison, quick googling of recent CEO pay at major charities:

- $582,961 (Unicef USA)
    - $534,000 (March of Dimes)
    - $1.02 million (United Way)

It seems likely a CEO at this level would have a large enough salary to secure a mortgage for a multi-million dollar home, and maybe than one if she had other sources of income. From the Grio / Yahoo News piece, it sounds like a coordinated smear campaign.

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    All this talk about the BLM organization...but is BLM really an organization? Sure, there is the original group, of which that one lady is a co-founder, but it's more a movement these days, which is a lot different. Calling BLM an organization is like calling the Civil Rights Movement of the 60s an organization.

The distinction is important because an organization is a lot easier to monolithize (and therefor sell as an existential threat) than a movement.
    It's hard to imagine an amorphous movement sustaining itself long enough to achieve much of anything in the absence of some kind of organizational structure (e.g., the NAACP in the case of the Civil Rights Movement).

In any case, a lack of an organizational structure hasn't stopped conservatives from demonizing Antifa. Wherever oppressed people attempt to assert their rights, whether it's unions fighting for better pay and working conditions or black people demanding the police stop murdering them, there will be a conservative there to demonize them.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    https://news.yahoo.com/blm-official-...114017918.html

PS: The chick signed a development deal with Warners Television Group last year. Who knows what's going on, or what money went where, but it's interesting nobody considered she might have other sources of income (including from her spouse).
    Good point on the other source of income. I assumed, wrongly, that devoting your entire 40-80-120 hour work week on the most visible cause in the country, wouldn't have any time or allowance to make money anywhere else.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

It's exactly the point. If she were white and this were a "white" charity, this wouldn't be a story.

For comparison, quick googling of recent CEO pay at major charities:

- $582,961 (Unicef USA)
    - $534,000 (March of Dimes)
    - $1.02 million (United Way)

It seems likely a CEO at this level would have a large enough salary to secure a mortgage for a multi-million dollar home, and maybe than one if she had other sources of income. From the Grio / Yahoo News piece, it sounds like a coordinated smear campaign.
    No way those are "salaries" are they??

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

That's wild.

No, I get that 100%.

My point is that Bezos has done much shadier stuff with much, much, MUCH larger amounts of money. Yet he is someone Duke consistently supports and even admires.
    I admire persistence and entrepreneurship.

I dont care if people want to send dick pics to mistresses.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I admire persistence and entrepreneurship.

I dont care if people want to send dick pics to mistresses.
    That's not at all what I was talking about

That's not at all what I was talking about
    Well say what you mean and mean what you say then, because we can't read minds.

Well say what you mean and mean what you say then, because we can't read minds.
    Duke we have wildly different views on what constitutes being a good businessman / company leader.

I don't think this conversation will be productive.

- - - - -
    No way those are "salaries" are they??
    https://www.politifact.com/factcheck...itable-groups/

More CEO salaries:

American Red Cross, $686,000
    Goodwill Industries, $717,000

Nationwide charities are businesses operating under a different tax structure. That's it. Small difference. Nobody takes a vow of poverty to work at one (unless you're a rank-and-file employee, in which case, you're fucked, much like your brethren in the "for profit" world).

Duke we have wildly different views on what constitutes being a good businessman / company leader.

I don't think this conversation will be productive.
    Then why bring it up?

Because I would probably counter with the billions he's spent on philanthropy. You can read about it on his wiki.

Then why bring it up?

Because I would probably counter with the billions he's spent on philanthropy. You can read about it on his wiki.
    I brought it up in relation to the discussion of the BLM co-founder.

Except the guy in the movie is white.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    Except the guy in the movie is white.
    That's true; I guess a more accurate comparison would be this:

I swear, it still (sort of) seemed like satire six years ago...
    Last edited by StuSmallz; 04-22-2021 at 04:42 AM.

Two NYC mayoral candidates estimated median sale prices for Brooklyn homes to be $80k-$100k.

The real median price is about $900k.

Can we please get some political leadership that actually knows what's going on in their territories?

Wow. That’s hard to believe. Surely those campaigns will hit some kind of snag.

Ottawa is getting near Toronto/Vancouver prices. No one can afford anything, to rent OR buy.

Two NYC mayoral candidates estimated median sale prices for Brooklyn homes to be $80k-$100k.

The real median price is about $900k.

Can we please get some political leadership that actually knows what's going on in their territories?
    Hahah this happened with retirement pensions and our previous president elect.

What is this gas shortage I'm hearing about from Trumpers? I just spent a week traveling around Michigan and Ohio and have barely even seen a price increase let alone lines or shortages.