Page 386 of 407 FirstFirst ... 286336376384385386387388396 ... LastLast
Results 9,626 to 9,650 of 10162

Thread: The News Thread

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Fang very recently got called out for his racist bullshit by his own colleagues at The Intercept, and Herzog is a massive transphobe.

You're right, though, in that Herzog isn't out and out racist (and this despite writing longish defenses of people like Jordan Peterson).

I shoulda said you're more "racist and phobic" than I thought.
    Dude, you're a fucking idiot. I live in the Bay Area and have met Lee Fang. The Intercept thing was so, so, so dumb. Beyond dumb. If you look into what he was criticized for it was for a completely unprompted interview with someone in East Oakland (I live in East Oakland) with a young black man who mentioned black-on-black crime and (correctly) noted that he wished black lives mattered to the MSM beyond white cops killing them. That's it. So Lee Fang was called out for what a black man said about being black. Matt Taibbi and others pushed back about it because of how dumb the whole thing was.

Here's the interview if anyone wants to see it.

https://twitter.com/lhfang/status/12...943297?lang=en

Herzog has been harassed and had both her residence and former employer (Seattle alt-weekly The Stranger) vandalized for writing a well researched article about trans people detransitioning. It wasn't "transphobic" unless you think the very real and very much happening phenomenon of detransitioning is ipso facto "transphobic." Herzog had transgender people proofread it for accuracy and proper language. That's it. She's become critical of cancel culture and the insane left since then because the insane left came for her.

Here's her piece in question: https://www.thestranger.com/features...il-they-werent
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    I think abortion should always be an option, but it should be discouraged as much as possible by encouraging safe sex practices. I cannot ever take any politician seriously who would ever be anti-abortion but refuse to fund safe sex education or provide free contraception for at-risk teens. That is just fucking ridiculous. (Not saying that is your opinion, just a moronic combination of policy stances that seems to be embraced by some Republican politicians)
    Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.
    Last edited by Pop Trash; 07-03-2020 at 02:16 PM.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

It's your country. But I firmly believe, that if you want change, you have to be pragmatic. Vote for the candidates at all levels of government that best represent your views, even if only minorly. Repeat each time and you may end up moving things in a direction you like. But not voting, you are letting others take control, and well, you end up with America circa 2020. I can afford to watch your country burn because I don't live there.
    I vote every time I can. I believe voting "lesser of two evils" is how we came to Trump. I quit voting that way about 4 elections ago. I want to destroy this two-party system.

look at these brave dudes with hard and fast opinions about abortion
    And look at this brave dude, spoiling for a fight for some reason. I gotta sleep, but what's say I come back tomorrow and just ignore this childish post entirely? Sounds good to me.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

- - - - -
    And look at this brave dude, spoiling for a fight for some reason. I gotta sleep, but what's say I come back tomorrow and just ignore this childish post entirely? Sounds good to me.
    Good night, sweet thought-warrior! May you dream only of "discouraged abortions" while enjoying the privilege of a uterus free life!

Edit for clarity: I'm being obnoxious yes and possibly childish but then I found your "abortions should be discouraged" thinking --- all while swinging a dick --- to be obnoxious and childish.
    Last edited by Irish; 07-03-2020 at 02:41 PM.

I was so confused thinking we were talking about Werner here.

Good night, sweet thought-warrior! May you dream only of "discouraged abortions" while enjoying the privilege of a uterus free life!

Edit for clarity: I'm being obnoxious yes and possibly childish but then I found your "abortions should be discouraged" thinking --- all while swinging a dick --- to be obnoxious and childish.
    Irish in his safe space.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

I tend to avoid abortion discussions because its the one topic where I pull my male privilege out that I will never be in a situation where I have to even think about making that choice. I also have done NO research into what I'm about suggest. Bear with me as I talk this through and maybe MC will steer me correct.

I've talked with people that have had abortions. There are lasting emotional effects. Maybe some people don't have issues post-abortions. All the ones I've talked to do. This is where I don't know if what I'm about to say is dumb...we discourage suicides. I don't think its a bad thing to also discourage abortions, because I've seen the lasting effects. I'm not saying BAN, I'm a moron, I certainly do not have enough knowledge to know the ins and outs and etc.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    I live in the Bay Area and have met Lee Fang.
    Oh! Well! I had no idea. That changes everything, Trash! You met Lee Fang! WOW!

Good for you, dude! That's quite the accomplishment.

So Lee Fang was called out for what a black man said about being black.
    No. Fang was called out for amplifying an extremely old racist chestnut about black-on-black crime, by quoting a kid (and yes, a kid) during an impromptu interview.

https://twitter.com/akela_lacy/statu...93571121496066

Quite the difference, and this isn't the first time he's pulled this kinda bullshit. So either Fang is an idiot (quite possible) or he's not (also possible). But if he's not, then that means he's doing it on purpose, which is somehow worse.

Matt Taibbi and others pushed
    You gotta find better sources than this group of potatoheads you've aligned yourself with, dude. It's fucking embarassing.

Herzog has been harassed and had both her residence and former employer (Seattle alt-weekly The Stranger) vandalized for writing a well researched article about trans people detransitioning. It wasn't "transphobic" unless you think the very real and very much happening phenomenon of detransitioning is ipso facto "transphobic." Herzog had transgender people proofread it for accuracy and proper language. That's it. She's become critical of cancel culture and the insane left since then because the insane left came for her.
    Dunno about "well researched." I mean, Herzog is a TERF who made being terfy her beat and has a bug up her butt about "cancel culture" and college campuses. tbh, she'd bother me more if she wasn't so obviously an opportunist and grifter.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I tend to avoid abortion discussions because its the one topic where I pull my male privilege out that I will never be in a situation where I have to even think about making that choice. I also have done NO research into what I'm about suggest. Bear with me as I talk this through and maybe MC will steer me correct.

I've talked with people that have had abortions. There are lasting emotional effects. Maybe some people don't have issues post-abortions. All the ones I've talked to do. This is where I don't know if what I'm about to say is dumb...we discourage suicides. I don't think its a bad thing to also discourage abortions, because I've seen the lasting effects. I'm not saying BAN, I'm a moron, I certainly do not have enough knowledge to know the ins and outs and etc.
    Same. It's an issue that should be hashed out among women. But to deny that there aren't a hell of a lot of pro life women out there or that there aren't women who regret having an abortion is disingenuous. I worked with a turbo Christian pro life young woman who had disgusting photos of aborted fetuses all over her facebook, but I also think she has a right to an opinion about the issue. Doesn't mean I agree with her.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

"turbo Christian" LMAO oh I'm using that shit

Black men calling out other black men for killing each other in East Oakland is now racist. Thank you, Irish. What would Oakland do without you?

Spike Lee made an entire movie about black-on-black crime in Chicago. Is he a racist too? John Singleton did the same with Boyz n the Hood. Fuck that racist. We should only "amplify" Irish and his black voice of wisdom.
    Last edited by Pop Trash; 07-03-2020 at 03:13 PM.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

- - - - -
    Black men calling out other black men for killing each other in East Oakland is now racist. Thank you, Irish. What would Oakland do without you?
    This is the response I'd expect from someone who doesn't understand how "black-on-black crime" is a white supremacist talking point with a very long history.

And who also doesn't understand that a journalist who amplifies that idea on a public platform --- regardless of where it came from or who voiced it --- is being, at best, grossly irresponsible.

(Or maybe you do? And like Fang, you don't care?)

Here's Quasimoto (aka Madlib) rappin' the WHITE SUPREMACIST TALKING POINT "I've had it up to here with the black-on-black because that shit is worse than a Klan attack"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPB7wtqRyXM

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    The conflation of abortion with suicide (or any -cide: homicide, filicide) is kinda dodgy.

As for the topic: The state has no business telling anyone what they can or can't do with their own body. To do otherwise is immoral. Period. That's the whole argument.

I read an op-ed in the NY Times years ago (and I wished I'd saved it) written by a female ob-gyn who described what happens to a woman's body during pregnancy at length and in detail. (She also talked about the differences in pregnancy between humans and other mammals).

Her intent wasn't to horrify, but to my eyes it read like the way a Cronenberg movie plays. Full on body horror.

I'd always been pro- for obvious and admittedly selfish reasons. But after I read that article I was a true-true believer in a woman's right to choose. Men don't have a uterus in the game, so to speak, and really can't say shit about it.

- - - - -
    Here's Quasimoto (aka Madlib) rappin' the WHITE SUPREMACIST TALKING POINT "I've had it up to here with the black-on-black because that shit is worse than a Klan attack"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPB7wtqRyXM
    Are you really this dumb

- - - - -
    Irish in his safe space.

honestly I've looked at this a few times and I still have no idea what the hell you intended with it

it's just ... weird?

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    It's these types of arguments why I don't label myself as Republican. Because once you do, you fall into the trap of becoming automatically supportive of whatever asshole is already in office.

There's so many things I hate about the Republican party. There's so many things I hate about the Democratic party.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I think abortion should always be an option, but it should be discouraged as much as possible by encouraging safe sex practices. I cannot ever take any politician seriously who would ever be anti-abortion but refuse to fund safe sex education or provide free contraception for at-risk teens. That is just fucking ridiculous. (Not saying that is your opinion, just a moronic combination of policy stances that seems to be embraced by some Republican politicians)
    Add the anti-abortionist to the pro-war category and you have paradox beyond paradox. Every woman should have a choice. Her body her choice.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Might lock this thread if direct name-calling and insults continue.

Open to conversation and opinions, but not insulting each other.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

honestly I've looked at this a few times and I still have no idea what the hell you intended with it

it's just ... weird?
    It looks like an opinion piece for someone who's pro-life throwing it the face of someone who's pro-choice,.

I don't have any right to tell a woman what to do with her body.

If it's a couple and they agree together to have an abortion, I still have no right to say anything.

This isn't woke-speak or being a liberal shill. It's just not being an asshole.

I agree with trans' statement that we need better sex education. But not for the sole reason of lowering abortion rates. Also just for people to practice safe sex as the norm.

The stigma that still exists around being sex positive is so freaking weird. It's 2020. Orgasms feel great. Sex is adult playtime. Do it safely and have fun.

The conflation of abortion with suicide (or any -cide: homicide, filicide) is kinda dodgy.
    I know, hence my loads of pussyfooting and preemptive whathaveyous.

The similarity I'm talking about is choice, and the conversation was concerning the angle of "discouraging".

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Might lock this thread if direct name-calling and insults continue.

Open to conversation and opinions, but not insulting each other.
    What is I refer to Trash as "trash." I mean, that's literally his name.

Edit: Please don't lock the thread before Trash lets me know whether he's really that dumb

Edit 2: Whelp, no need. I have my answer. (It's as I suspected.)

Spike Lee made an entire movie about black-on-black crime in Chicago. Is he a racist too? John Singleton did the same with Boyz n the Hood. Fuck that racist. We should only "amplify" Irish and his black voice of wisdom.
    Last edited by Irish; 07-03-2020 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    I definitely ‘lean to the right’, and want to punch Tucker Carlson in the face.
    Your anger only makes him stronger.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markjoy.../#7e575b576195

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7