Page 385 of 407 FirstFirst ... 285335375383384385386387395 ... LastLast
Results 9,601 to 9,625 of 10162

Thread: The News Thread

I definitely ‘lean to the right’, and want to punch Tucker Carlson in the face.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    Cancel culture in general stinks. You can't tell me the left isn't equally horrendous (often worse) that the right doing that.

Matt Taibbi (progressive journalist for Rolling Stone for many years) wrote a great piece about it. "The American left has lost its mind."

https://taibbi.substack.com/p/the-ne...troying-itself
    I dunno Pop. Any time I hear about shit like this it's because of right wing nut jobs. I mean this is exactly how James Gunn lost his job for a hot minute.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    T
    Duke, Google "Turning Point USA Charlie Kirk diapers" (lol) is you want a little backstory on that dude.
    OMG. I remember this event.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

- - - - -
    Nobody "thrashed" him other than some dickheads on twitter.
    People like Laura Ingram and Jesse Singal endorsed it. That should tell you something by itself. Then you had professional wannabe big brains like Matty Yglesias talking it up, which should also tell you something (but prolly won't).

OTOH, some actual journalists and media figures pushed back.

https://twitter.com/ryanlcooper/stat...48619012202497

https://twitter.com/cjcmichel/status...51275953606665

https://twitter.com/AdamWeinstein/st...95701231894536

https://twitter.com/JessicaValenti/s...32943329546240

https://twitter.com/OzKaterji/status...23273840189440

https://twitter.com/SamAdlerBell/sta...16352811175936

https://twitter.com/thetomzone/statu...42989174853633

https://twitter.com/gaywonk/status/1271638732245012480

https://twitter.com/jonbernhardt/sta...69450644598784

Matt Taibbi is one of the last reasonable people around and one of the few people keeping me from a Republican
    lol, okay

That there are people such as yourself that think he is "neither progressive nor left" only proves his point. Him, Andrew Sullivan, Glenn Greenwald (most of the time), Andrew Yang, Tulsi Gabbard, Lee Fang, James Lindsay, Katie Herzog, Jesse Singal, Bret Weinstein, among a few others are still sane.
    Holy shit. Sullivan? Fang? Herzog? You're more racist than I thought

People like you -on the other hand- make me want to thrown in the towel and go full Tucker Carlson. Congratulations.
    Dude you're already there, have been for awhile, and I hate to tell you: nobody cares. Go put on your MAGA hat, sit in the corner, and suck your thumb.

"Useful idiots" is one of the few things I can tolerate listening to when it comes to US politics in general. Didn't sound like a "piece of shit" to me, and my spider sense is telling me it's not hard to guess why there were such reactions to his piece.

Also, Irish, for your sanity and mine, I hope you copied all of that over from somewhere else.

Sent from my Mi 9 Lite using Tapatalk

- - - - -
    I'd forgotten about Bret Weinstein

Following his resignation from Evergreen, he appeared on Sam Harris's podcast, Joe Rogan's podcast multiple times, and he moderated two debates between Jordan Peterson and Sam Harris. He appears in the documentary No Safe Spaces, which documents the Evergreen incidents. Weinstein's brother, Eric Weinstein, coined the term the "Intellectual Dark Web", and described Weinstein as a member.
    Like, again, holy shit, you've gone Full Chud. Never go Full Chud.

(Are you a fan of Jordan Petersen and James Damore, too? I would guess so ....)

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    Also, Irish, for your sanity and mine, I hope you copied all of that over from somewhere else.
    Literally a 2 minute twitter search. Learn to computer, brah.

The fact that you think me following Katie Herzog, a leftist lesbian reporter from Seattle, makes me a "racist" proves that you are full on, unequivocally, beyond the beyond, insane. You are everything that is wrong with the left, Irish. Everything. Including using a term like "chud" with no sense of self-awareness or irony. Please reconsider your life choices.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Here's a photo of noted "right wing racist" Katie Herzog.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

Nobody "thrashed" him other than some dickheads on twitter. Matt Taibbi is one of the last reasonable people around and one of the few people keeping me from becoming a Republican. .
    I assumed you were already there, to be honest. Go nuts. Why do you need to find an excuse? If Trump's Republican Party seems like your best choice, then so be it. At least man up and stop blaming others for it. Trying to pin your desire to be Republican on Irish personally is as pat and simplistic as Edward Norton's character in American History X deciding to not be racist because he met a nice black man.

EDIT: I don't support Irish in his argument, because I don't know any of the people any of you are talking about, nor have I read the article. Just for the record.
    Last edited by transmogrifier; 07-03-2020 at 12:47 PM.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Nothing wrong with Sam Harris. Been reading him since the '00s.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    I definitely ‘lean to the right’, and want to punch Tucker Carlson in the face.
    I think that is the default setting for most people who have listened to him talk for more than 10 seconds.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    I assumed you were already there, to be honest. Go nuts. Why do you need to find an excuse? If Trump's Republican Party seems like your best choice, then so be it. At least man up and stop blaming others for it. Trying to pin your desire to be Republican on Irish personally is as pat and simplistic as Edward Norton's character in American History X deciding to not be racist because he met a nice black man.
    Because I don't like Trump? Like most reasonable people. Why do you want people to vote for Trump?

Most of the people I mentioned are canaries in the coalmine for how insane the left is becoming. Like neverending Russian dolls of grievance politics. You have statues of Lincoln and suffragettes being removed because historical figures can never be perfect enough. You have people writing articles with headlines like this with zero sense of self-awareness.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/12/o...nd-police.html

Meanwhile crime is skyrocketing.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/crime/2...y-police-crime
    Last edited by Pop Trash; 07-03-2020 at 01:08 PM.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

But, given that you see the left "becoming insane", would your first choice to be run to the side that is already insane in the Republicans? (I'm talking political parties, not political ideology in general). That's what I don't get.

And that article you post is literally one person talking shit, and they literally complain about Democrats acting reasonably (from a general perspective, not the author's) in the very first paragraph! So your first response to one person criticizing (I assume) their own party for not being far-left enough is to throw up you hands and threaten to become Republican? Does not make any sense to me.
    Last edited by transmogrifier; 07-03-2020 at 01:27 PM.
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

Its possible to abandon a party and not join the one on the other side of the isle.

They'll say "you're wasting your vote!" and "if you don't vote for A then B will win!", but voting for who you actually want to win rewards you with a clear conscious.

And if you don't like any of the contestants, show up, log in that you're here to have your vote heard, and write in Optimus Prime.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Its possible to abandon a party and not join the one on the other side of the isle.

They'll say "you're wasting your vote!" and "if you don't vote for A then B will win!", but voting for who you actually want to win rewards you with a clear conscious.

And if you don't like any of the contestants, show up, log in that you're here to have your vote heard, and write in Optimus Prime.
    Yes, that would be logical. Of course, if you lived in a country where voting for smaller parties actually mattered, it would be even better
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

The first "criticism" that Irish posted of the Matt Taibbi piece is "this is so stupid lol" as if that is indicative of anything (Greenwald rightfully called that moron out). Another "actual journalist" Irish posted has the twitter handle of "lvl 45 chaos potus" so clearly I should take him seriously. He is a much deeper thinker than Matt Taibbi.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

- - - - -
    The fact that you think me following Katie Herzog, a leftist lesbian reporter from Seattle, makes me a "racist" proves that you are full on, unequivocally, beyond the beyond, insane.
    lol, what the hell does her being a lesbian from Seattle have to do with anything?

Anyway let's look at what you just tried to dodge, Chudly: Sullivan is an old time war hawk, a Zionist, and a long time defender of Charles Murray ("The Bell Curve"); Fang very recently got called out for his racist bullshit by his own colleagues at The Intercept, and Herzog is a massive transphobe.

You're right, though, in that Herzog isn't out and out racist (and this despite writing longish defenses of people like Jordan Peterson).

I shoulda said you're more "racist and phobic" than I thought.

- - - - -
    The first "criticism" that Irish posted of the Matt Taibbi piece is "this is so stupid lol" as if that is indicative of anything
    That's what twitter is for? And I'm pretty sure --- correct me if I'm wrong, Trash --- that calling something stupid usually indicates disdain.

Another piece you're leaving out: The "this is so stupid" guy is Ryan Cooper, the national correspondent for The Week. The other guy is a writer from Gizmodo.

I posted them to refute your claim that only "dickheads on twitter" rejected Taibbi's bullshit... because, no, there was actually pushback from actual journalists who have been in the game as long as Taibbi has.

But, given that you see the left "becoming insane", would your first choice to be run to the side that is already insane in the Republicans? (I'm talking political parties, not political ideology in general). That's what I don't get.

And that article you post is literally one person talking shit, and they literally complain about Democrats acting reasonably (from a general perspective, not the author's) in the very first paragraph! So your first response to one person criticizing (I assume) their own party for not being far-left enough is to throw up you hands and threaten to become Republican? Does not make any sense to me.
    I'm not a big fan of Republicans. I'm not against abortion although I don't think it should be encouraged if you are of sound mind and prospects (the Clintonian "safe, legal, and rare" seemed good), I'm not particularly religious (although Christians in the US have become much more reasonable than they were 20 years ago I've noticed ... it's people on the left that are the screeching church lady babies). I'm tolerant until it flies in the face of reason, science, and rationality (I'm on team JK Rowling when it comes to biological sex).

All that said, I'm starting to understand the value of conservatives as a firewall against irrationality and childish stupidity. Conservative in this context meaning maintaining the status quo. I guess I would describe myself right now as a "classical liberal" or "pragmatic independent" which of course to insane people like Irish would mean that I'm both racist and fascist.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

Yes, that would be logical. Of course, if you lived in a country where voting for smaller parties actually mattered, it would be even better
    Lesser evil is still evil. My conscious is clear. If the parties won't put up better candidates, then let the world burn.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Lesser evil is still evil. My conscious is clear. If the parties won't put up better candidates, then let the world burn.
    It's your country. But I firmly believe, that if you want change, you have to be pragmatic. Vote for the candidates at all levels of government that best represent your views, even if only minorly. Repeat each time and you may end up moving things in a direction you like. But not voting, you are letting others take control, and well, you end up with America circa 2020. I can afford to watch your country burn because I don't live there.
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

I'm not a big fan of Republicans. I'm not against abortion although I don't think it should be encouraged if you are of sound mind and prospects (the Clintonian "safe, legal, and rare" seemed good), I'm not particularly religious (although Christians in the US have become much more reasonable than they were 20 years ago I've noticed ... it's people on the left that are the screeching church lady babies). I'm tolerant until it flies in the face of reason, science, and rationality (I'm on team JK Rowling when it comes to biological sex).

All that said, I'm starting to understand the value of conservatives as a firewall against irrationality and childish stupidity. Conservative in this context meaning maintaining the status quo. I guess I would describe myself right now as a "classical liberal" or "pragmatic independent" which of course to insane people like Irish would mean that I'm both racist and fascist.
    I think abortion should always be an option, but it should be discouraged as much as possible by encouraging safe sex practices. I cannot ever take any politician seriously who would ever be anti-abortion but refuse to fund safe sex education or provide free contraception for at-risk teens. That is just fucking ridiculous. (Not saying that is your opinion, just a moronic combination of policy stances that seems to be embraced by some Republican politicians)
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

- - - - -
    I guess I would describe myself right now as a "classical liberal" or "pragmatic independent" which of course to insane people like Irish would mean that I'm both racist and fascist.
    You mostly sound like a teen boy who enthusiastically posts to r/libertarian and r/MRA.

I wouldn't call you a fascist because I don't throw around that term lightly.

Racist, definitely. You can't embrace dudes like Sullivan and Carlson without at least tacitly nodding at their overt racism.

lol at "classical liberal," which is almost always employed these days as another dodge.

- - - - -
    look at these brave dudes with hard and fast opinions about abortion