Page 27 of 39 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: The Walking Dead

Looks like all those rumors about Daryl finally appearing in the comics is coming true...

Teaser for #97.

Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

It Makes Me Feel Alone Sxottlan's Avatar
    "Nebraska. Ha! This guy."
    Out of 4 stars:
    The Guest: ***1/2
    Furious 7: ***
    The Tale of Princess Kaguya: ***
    It Follows: ***1/2

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Looks like all those rumors about Daryl finally appearing in the comics is coming true...

Teaser for #97.

They're on 93 right? i wonder if he's in the same group that straggler was talking about. Also, #97-99 art shows something "to fear" tags. We might be in store for some major uprooting. .
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

that bar scene was fantastic. if the show can generate a scene like that every week i might actually start enjoying it.

That episode was pretty bad until the final 10 minutes - the bar scene.

I'm getting very, very tired of the same conversations occurring over and over and over again.

I'm also getting very tired of the dialogue not really being dialogue, but rather characters speeching at each other. No one just says anything. Everything is a long winded speech.

This show is starting to lose me big time.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)

I'm getting very, very tired of the same conversations occurring over and over and over again.

I'm also getting very tired of the dialogue not really being dialogue, but rather characters speeching at each other. No one just says anything. Everything is a long winded speech.

the dialogue in the bar scene actually had subtext. subtext!

Quote Quoting ledfloyd (view post)
    that bar scene was fantastic. if the show can generate a scene like that every week i might actually start enjoying it.
    Let's see if they can get three in a row. I won't get my hopes up.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)

I'm getting very tried of them wasting their time with stupid side-plots. The car accident towards the end of the show was face palm worthy. What is she... 30 seconds outside of the farm? Now it's going to take six epsiodes for them to find her. :|

The bar scene was passable. Passable, but not even good. The entire trajectory of that scene wasn't so much foreshadowed as telegraphed. And the obvious goal was to level the playing field between Rick and Shane as immediately and easily as possible (that and get Herschl to stop being a moron). Everything else in the episode was horrible. Characters continually whining about how terrible life is with redundant conversations we've heard time and time again. Also that car crash was about as contrived as the well sequence, just awful writing.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

My favorite moments from this episode are: Andrea picking up the arm, Rick watching Glenn and Maggie kiss, and the burning of the corpses. I'm probably the only person here who's really taken by the mundane actions and repetitive arguments, then? I feel like it's one thing a television show can do that movies can't: show the day-to-day and the circular moral debates that just boil and fester for a while, and I think it's fun to see the zombie apocalypse version. I dig the staticness of it, like it's decided that it's going to be a show about people's temperament more than it is about apocalyptic survival. Almost as if every episode is a deliberate bottle episode.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

My favorite moments from this episode are: Andrea picking up the arm, Rick watching Glenn and Maggie kiss, and the burning of the corpses. I'm probably the only person here who's really taken by the mundane actions and repetitive arguments, then? I feel like it's one thing a television show can do that movies can't: show the day-to-day and the circular moral debates that just boil and fester for a while, and I think it's fun to see the zombie apocalypse version. I dig the staticness of it, like it's decided that it's going to be a show about people's temperament more than it is about apocalyptic survival. Almost as if every episode is a deliberate bottle episode.
    That scene of Andrea picking up the arm had the tone of foreshadowing but then absolutely nothing came of that. Irritating.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    That scene of Andrea picking up the arm had the tone of foreshadowing but then absolutely nothing came of that. Irritating.
    That's my point. I saw no foreshadowing. I didn't expect it to be anything at all, really, just one of the mundane chores of living in a zombie world. The comic's full of that stuff, too, just scenes of people living, like planting vegetables, discussing movie night, etc; scenes that would have been cut out of zombie movies because they're not suspense-based. And I'm eating it up.
    Movie Theater Diary

By the way, the comic fans talking about the show are starting to really annoy me. Hating on the show and demanding they

[
    ]

seems to defeat the whole purpose of the show. I do not want that first thing to happen any time soon, and I'm not in a hurry to see badass zombie fight sequences, since that's obviously not the tone the show's trying to achieve.
    Movie Theater Diary

That's my point. I saw no foreshadowing. I didn't expect it to be anything at all, really, just one of the mundane chores of living in a zombie world. The comic's full of that stuff, too, just scenes of people living, like planting vegetables, discussing movie night, etc; scenes that would have been cut out of zombie movies because they're not suspense-based. And I'm eating it up.
    They are scenes that should be cut out of any movie or show because it's shitty writing. A moment doesn't have to be suspense based, it has to be purposive. These moments are not purposive, the semiotics of the work are not tight, there is merely redundancy and irrelevancy.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

All right, I just like seeing them, is all.
    Movie Theater Diary

All right, I just like seeing them, is all.
    Fair.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    By the way, the comic fans talking about the show are starting to really annoy me.
    I can't talk about the show with comic fans because I actually like the show more then the comic. I understand that people think the show moves to slow and in some ways I agree, but I think the comic just moves way too fast.

[
    ]

i'm not defending the show but i don't think every moment of something has to have purpose. my favorite scenes in films are often grace notes that give you a glimpse into the characters day to day lives without serving any narrative purpose.

Quote Quoting ledfloyd (view post)
    i'm not defending the show but i don't think every moment of something has to have purpose. my favorite scenes in films are often grace notes that give you a glimpse into the characters day to day lives without serving any narrative purpose.
    I didn't say narrative purpose. I said purpose. If it said something interesting about the character, the relationship between characters, etc, then it would be valuable. Her picking up the arm says very little about her character. The scene comes across as kind of a limp, grotesque punchline.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    I didn't say narrative purpose. I said purpose. If it said something interesting about the character, the relationship between characters, etc, then it would be valuable. Her picking up the arm says very little about her character. The scene comes across as kind of a limp, grotesque punchline.
    Displaying the mundanity of picking up a severed arm and throwing it back on a pile of butchered corpses with a look of mild irritation at the inconvenience has a very distinct purpose.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    Displaying the mundanity of picking up a severed arm and throwing it back on a pile of butchered corpses with a look of mild irritation at the inconvenience has a very distinct purpose.
    So does lowering an asian down a well as bait for a zombie. Distinct, but not valuable.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    So does lowering an asian down a well as bait for a zombie. Distinct, but not valuable.
    I don't really see what you mean with the Asian down a well crack (it has narrative purpose only, no?), but the moment being discussed here very clearly articulates the shift in the norm, general sensitivity and is an overall nice short beat to get the point across. You find it unnecessary then fine, but it very clearly has a purpose.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    I don't really see what you mean with the Asian down a well crack (it has narrative purpose only, no?), but the moment being discussed here very clearly articulates the shift in the norm, general sensitivity and is an overall nice short beat to get the point across. You find it unnecessary then fine, but it very clearly has a purpose.
    The Asian down the well crack has narrative and character significance but it's still an idiotic scene.

I don't really see any shift in the norm. Treating zombie corpses that way is par for the course at this point and has been since somewhat early on in season one. It seems more redundant to me than anything, it does not provide any new information.

I also did not find the arm scene to be a short beat. A competent filmmaker could get that information across in 5 seconds. Here as is the case always with the show they have to belabour their points. The arm rips off... the truck has to stop... she gets out of the truck and gets the arm... she puts it back in the truck. Fuck that was boring.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Man, you must hate Ozu.

Yes, I just compared The Walking Dead to Ozu.
    Movie Theater Diary

Man, you must hate Ozu.

Yes, I just compared The Walking Dead to Ozu.
    No, I like Ozu, because he has an extremely well defined formal aesthetic and all the moments in his films have extreme thematic and character significance.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Page 27 of 39 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast