Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Stand

The Stand

Ben Affleck is directing Stephen King's epic.

I've had this on my shelf forever, but its length always scared me.

For the King fans out there, is this a good choice?
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

I'm not a huge fan of King, but it's probably my favorite of his that I've read -- a great mix of large-scale apocalypse and personal stories.

It's one of the fastest reads around. It's so good, you'll plow through it.

I think it will make a good movie - it is very filmable.

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    That's a pretty interesting project choice for Affleck. I guess at least we'll get to see him go beyond what we know he can do well.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    I've been thinking it over since yesterday. Affleck's done a skillful job of presenting realistic, grounded settings and characters in his movies, and it may be better to go in that direction than electing someone like Sam Raimi or David Yates to the job. The Stand is epic, but its intimate moments are easily the most interesting parts of the book. His characters immediately feel like neighbors you've known for years.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    This will be the first book I buy on my Kindle.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    I've been thinking it over since yesterday. Affleck's done a skillful job of presenting realistic, grounded settings and characters in his movies, and it may be better to go in that direction than electing someone like Sam Raimi or David Yates to the job.
    Yep. What makes The Stand most remarkable is the small human stories that King so masterfully illustrates. I think that King is a master of creating epic tales told through small and personal human drama.

Man, I can't wait to see the Trashcan Man on screen.

I never saw the mini-series, but I imagine its merely decent based on who directed it. I love the book, and I own a copy-its a fantastic classic, and is really a must for any sci-fi fan. I'd say that so far out of the King books I've read, its his best work. Sure the Dark Tower series is great, but I prefer The Stand, actually. Affleck directing an adaption peeks my interest-I wonder if this one will actually get off the ground, considering that the Dark Tower project failed, for now anyways.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Is the ending as ridiculous as it appeared in the miniseries? Because that shit was whack.

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    Is the ending as ridiculous as it appeared in the miniseries? Because that shit was whack.
    [
    ]

Harold and Maude (Hal Ashby, 1971)
    Blue Jasmine (Woody Allen, 2013)
    Wag the Dog (Barry Levinson, 1997)
    Prisoners (Denis Villeneuve, 2013)
    Filth (Jon S. Baird, 2013)
    Sunshine on Leith (Dexter Fletcher, 2013)
    Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter? (Frank Tashlin, 1957)
    Kelly + Victor (Keiran Evans, 2012)
    We Are What We Are (Jim Mickle, 2013)
    The Great Beauty (Paolo Sorrentino, 2013)

Read Write Hand

Didn't want to make a new thread- but has anyone watched the mini-series? Is it any good?

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    If Scott Cooper is still directing this, I'm dreading it. Black Mass was the textbook definition of bland, suspenseless filmmaking.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Didn't want to make a new thread- but has anyone watched the mini-series? Is it any good?
    It was very good at the time, and I still admire it, but elements of it haven't held up well, namely: really chintzy special effects, Molly Ringwald and some other supporting cast, an unavoidably front-loaded story with mostly-functional direction, and a religious element that was functional in the book but lapses into cornball in the mini-series. Way back when (23 years ago, Jesus), I might've given it an A, but now it's more B to B- (and I've learned I'm more generous than most).

Agree with DaMU. I have the dvd. I remember watching it on tv when it aired and some bits nearly brought me to tears. Watching it years later and noticing stuff like fake corn in a dream sequence really brought it down for me. Theres still a lot of good in there (Gary Sinise is awesome), and I can be forgiving of it the same as It because its the only version that exists, but I would love to see a new version. It should be a Showtime 3 season 10-ep per kind of thing. Ten eps per act should be enough.

Thanks guys. I finished the book last year and always wanted to watch this.

I watched part 1 last night. Gary Sinise is the standout. And ummm. Ed Harris is uncredited? WTF. Blown away his name wasn't in the opening credits as his role is substantial in part 1.

I also recall really liking the music.

I like The Stand the best out of all the King books I've read. It would be second, and is also very good, but is ruined by the utterly ridiculous ending.
    The Stand mini-series is about as good as a 90's television adaptation could be. Some fine moments, but hindered by subpar production values and mediocre directing. Worth watching though.
    I found the It mini-series to be pretty worthless, except for Tim Curry.
    Last edited by Devlin; 08-30-2017 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I also recall really liking the music.
    W.G. Snuffy Walden! Crushed it.

Last edited by Dead & Messed Up; 08-30-2017 at 04:18 PM.

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    If Scott Cooper is still directing this, I'm dreading it. Black Mass was the textbook definition of bland, suspenseless filmmaking.
    The last person on this was Josh Boone, and his plans went from initially a single 3-hour film, to four feature films (...), back to a single film preceded by an 8-part Showtime miniseries.

The most interesting thing was at the time it was rumoured that McConaughey was being courted to play Randall Flagg for this, before The Dark Tower came together. But then apparently Boone said he wanted Bale for Flagg and McConaughey for Redman.

Apparently it's all been put on indefinite hold now, though.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I watched part 1 last night. Gary Sinise is the standout. And ummm. Ed Harris is uncredited? WTF. Blown away his name wasn't in the opening credits as his role is substantial in part 1.
    Please continue to update!

Also, this is the thing I immediately snap to when someone says "Miguel Ferrer".

Part 2: Haha. Laura San Giacomo from Just Shoot Me as Nadine. Perfect casting. Pretty cool blood effect between Flagg and Mother Abagail. There's some great dream sequences - I remember them being very spooky from the book and they're depicted well here.

This was first exposure to her, so it was hard for me to take her comedically in Just shoot me. No joke.

Finished Part 3- and 4- It's nice to see what I depicted from the book, translated to the big screen almost exactly how I pictured. The house explosion and Harold's motorcycle crash were burned into my brain pretty clearly. Cute cameo of Stephen King. But yeh, overall, not something I would watch again. Sets and scale are small. Not terrible. Not great. Just OK. Would be nice to see this remade. Maybe incorporate some present day technology or themes. Make Flagg a little bit more menacing.

It makes me happy to see someone appreciate this with virgin eyes. Every damn time I see (actor that played Randall Flagg) in anything else I'm like "Its freaking Randall Flagg!!" He creeped me out so bad in this. Age was a factor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast