Page 29 of 45 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: Community

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting Acapelli (view post)
    yeah, it's even less distracting when they use made up search engines
    I'd rather they use Bing than FinderSpyder.

I wouldn't be heartbroken if Chase left the show. His character doesn't add that much to the dynamic. And I bet his salary is pretty high.

Have we posted these quotes from Chase about the show?

I have creative issues with this show. I always have. With my character, with how far you can take [Joel McHale's] character…just to give him a long speech about the world at the end of every episode is so reminiscent. It’s like being relegated to hell and watching “Howdy Doody” for the rest of your life. It’s not particularly necessary, but that’s the way they do these things. I think it belies the very pretenses that his character, Jeff, has, that he’s giving these talks. They’re supposed to, in some way, be a little lesson to people who watch sitcoms…to that degree, I can’t stand sitcoms.

I’m not really gonna buck you all up a lot and say that this is the one, the one that tells it innovatively. It is what it is. I would like to see it go further. I think, if you know me and my humor over the years, you know that this is certainly not my kind of thing. I probably won’t be around that much longer, frankly.
    http://www.avclub.com/articles/commu...upposed,71769/

And taken together, it begins to sound like maybe relations with Chase really are reaching a boiling point, because the show is beneath the standard for "innovative" humor that has become synonymous with the star of Cops And Robbersons:
    Heh. I always enjoy AV Club's snarky reporting.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Chase
    I have creative issues with this show. I always have. With my character, with how far you can take [Joel McHale's] character…just to give him a long speech about the world at the end of every episode is so reminiscent. It’s like being relegated to hell and watching “Howdy Doody” for the rest of your life. It’s not particularly necessary, but that’s the way they do these things. I think it belies the very pretenses that his character, Jeff, has, that he’s giving these talks. They’re supposed to, in some way, be a little lesson to people who watch sitcoms…to that degree, I can’t stand sitcoms.

I’m not really gonna buck you all up a lot and say that this is the one, the one that tells it innovatively. It is what it is. I would like to see it go further. I think, if you know me and my humor over the years, you know that this is certainly not my kind of thing. I probably won’t be around that much longer, frankly.
    Right, his thing is predominantly very broad often violent slapstick coupled with painfully low brow 'witticisms'.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

This part gets me:

This is the only time I’ve ever had to act every week in the same clothes and as the same character, and I don’t find it particularly enlightening. It’s not teaching anybody anything.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I think it'd work perfectly if Pierce died.

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    I think it'd work perfectly if Pierce died.
    They've teased his death a number of times, which sort of makes it less dramatically interesting. But I bet they could pull it off.

I think that's a bummer. I really like Pierce on the show. I liked season 1 Pierce more than I liked season 2 Pierce (I might like season 3 Pierce a bit more, but he's been less involved, too?), but I think he adds a good dynamic to the show.

EDIT: I guess if he ends up leaving, I'm also really worried about what it might do to the dynamics of the show. I mean, Pierce probably isn't that critical to the character dynamics these days (not as urgently as he was in the first season). But it's not often a character leaves a show and the show doesn't attempt to correct it in some way, either leaving the show feeling imbalanced, or a new character gets introduced who never quite feels right (Lovitz--god love him--in NewsRadio).

Through "Communication Studies" (Episode 16 of Season 1). I'm sold. This show is just ridiculously well-written sometimes.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting DavidSeven (view post)
    Through "Communication Studies" (Episode 16 of Season 1). I'm sold. This show is just ridiculously well-written sometimes.
    Oh Christ, no. Not you too.

The gags are good in the first two seasons. I'm not entirely sure that equates to "well written."

I'm actually more impressed with the writing of the character interplay on a dramatic level. I definitely think the show is funny, but the show is drawing me in through the affecting character-centric storylines. I'm working with a small sample size though. I found the show weak through the first six episodes, but it's been on a great run since they discovered what works for these characters. All subject to change, but I dig it right now.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting DavidSeven (view post)
    I actually more impressed with the writing of the character interplay on a dramatic level. I definitely think the show is funny, but the show is drawing me in through the affecting character-centric storylines. I'm working with a small sample size though. I found the show weak through the first six episodes, but it's been on a great run since they discovered what works for these characters. All subject to change, but I dig it right now.
    Keep watching. I'd be interested on your take after you're caught up, because I think there's a noticeable shift in focus around the middle (?) of the second season.

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    in case you didn't know davidseven, irish is the outlier in the group.

Irish is Pierce.

He must be destroyed.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Irish is a human tennis elbow. He is a pizza burn on the roof of the world's mouth. He is the opposite of Batman.
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Irish is a human tennis elbow. He is a pizza burn on the roof of the world's mouth. He is the opposite of Batman.
    He's the AT&T of people (I still don't know what the hell that is supposed to mean, but Troy makes it funny).

Well there goes out the window my idea of the show ending with the group graduating, only for Pierce to hang around and welcome in an entirely new study group that is oddly similar to the previous study group.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    Well there goes out the window my idea of the show ending with the group graduating, only for Pierce to hang around and welcome in an entirely new study group that is oddly similar to the previous study group.
    In all fairness, that's an awful idea.

- - - - -
    Yeah, not a circlejerk at all. :lol:

[
    ]

Batman is a fascist. That's never in doubt. The question is whether or not his world justifies it.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    Batman is a fascist. That's never in doubt. The question is whether or not his world justifies it.
    Are you REALLY prepared to have this conversation in the middle of the Community thread?

Think about who you're talking to before you answer. :P

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Yeah, not a circlejerk at all. :lol:

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Are you REALLY prepared to have this conversation in the middle of the Community thread?

Think about who you're talking to before you answer. :P
    You're right. I don't want this. Walking away.

Enough of the people in this thread hate enough of the episodes and enough of the characters that calling this thread a "circlejerk" seems to diminish the term.

I mean, I'm contrasting my perceptions of the experiences of detractors in this thread with my experience as a detractor of, say, motherfucking Battlestar Galactica, and putting the two threads' participants in the same category feels false.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    Enough of the people in this thread hate enough of the episodes and enough of the characters that calling this thread a "circlejerk" seems to belittle the term.
    In that specific instance, I was really more responding to the literal back to back "Irish is crazy!" posts from three different people, more than making a comment on Community fandom.

True. My comment was perhaps out of place. I was basically taking advantage of it as an opportunity to talk smack on BSG and its fans. That is always my agenda.

Page 29 of 45 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast