Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 20 Short Stories You Should Read

20 Short Stories You Should Read

This has been a sub-topic in the Book Discussion Thread for the last few days, but one I feel passionately about, and I don't feel that giving a quick list is doing enough to really sell these stories.

Short stories are a delicate and useful medium for writers, but readership is low because they are difficult to publish, except in fast-vanishing literary magazines, anthologies, or collections. But the commitment level is low, and usually these stories are widely available (thank you, internet) so there's no excuse to not indulge a little bit.

I'm sticking to one story per author, but I might slip in hints about other works by the same person.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Awesome! Looking forward to the list!

Sweetness. Looking forward to nitpicking that another choice by the same author should have been selected!

ritch:
    Twitter

Next Projection Top 10s (update - Top 10 Action Sequences 1/29)
    Yearly Top 11s

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    I think my favorite short story is E.L. Doctorow's "Willi." I look forward to seeing your choices.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

The Stone Boy by Gina Berriault (1957)

Genre: Realistic Fiction

"Mother?" he asked insistently. He had expected her to realize that he wanted to go down on his knees by her bed and tell her that Eugie was dead. She did not know it yet, nobody knew it, and yet she was sitting up in bed, waiting to be told, waiting for him to confirm her dread. He had expected her to tell him to come in, to allow him to dig his head into her blankets and tell her about the terror he had felt when he had knelt beside Eugie. He had come to clasp her in his arms and, in his terror, to pommel her breasts with his head.
    Summary: A young boy, after accidently causing a family tragedy, has a complicated emotional response that his family cannot understand.

Why it is great: I am very sensitive to fictional works that try and explain grief. They are often condescening, over-simplified, and sentimental. This story, amazingly, is none of those things. It realistically portrays someone deep in shock, who is so emotionally removed from the situation around him that he cannot react in any way-- he becomes a stone boy. It's heart-wrenching without being manipulative.

Warning: this excellent story was made into a terrible film that was condescending, over-simplified, and sentimental. Avoid.

You can read it: here (PDF) or in the short story collection shown above: Women in Their Beds.
    ...and the milk's in me.

An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge by Ambrose Bierce (1890)

All that day he travelled, laying his course by the rounding sun. The forest seemed interminable; nowhere did he discover a break in it, not even a woodman's road. He had not known that he lived in so wild a region. There was something uncanny in the revelation.
    Genre: Fiction, hints of Magical Realism

Summary: Peyton Fahrquhar is captured and is going to be executed for attempting to impede Yankee movements during the civil war.

Why it is great: Beyond the iconic ending, which is really pretty shocking, the prose and style of the story are excellent. There's a dream-like quality and lyricism to Fahrquhar's journey.

You can read it: here. It is also widely anthologized.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Bierce is amazing. Any number of his short stories could be considered must-reads. Your choice is a good one. Best Twilight Zone episode, too.

i've read a couple you listed in the book thread and loved them so i am excited about this.

All Summer in a Day by Ray Bradbury (1954)

Margot stood alone. She was a very frail girl who looked as if she had been lost in the rain for years and the rain had washed out the blue from her eyes and the red from her mouth and the yellow from her hair. She was an old photograph dusted from an album, whitened away, and if she spoke at all her voice would be a ghost.
    Genre: Science Fiction

Summary: In a colony built on Venus, a group of schoolchildren wait for the sun, which only shines for one hour every seven years. Only Margot, ostracized by the other children, remembers what the sun was like on Earth.

Why it's great: This is one of Bradbury's younger-skewing stories, but poignant and bittersweet nonetheless. Like all good science fiction, the time and place may be different, but the emotions felt by the characters-- isolation, loneliness, jealousy-- are understandable and familiar.

You can read it: here (DOC) or it is widely anthologized.

Also try: Bradbury was a prolific short story writer, and many of his works were excellent. A Sound of Thunder is widely influential.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Bradbury encompasses everything that is great and wonderful about the short story.

October Country is where it's at. I'd probably rank it third in terms of single-author collections, right behind The Best Short Stores of JG Ballard and Alfred Bester's Virtual Unrealities.

Mara, have you read any Theodore Sturgeon? If not, you totally should. His themes of love, and how he examined humanity are probably right up your alley. He wrote and published hundreds of short stories ranging in styles from SF to horror to general fiction. Another one of my favorites. One of the great short story awards is named after Sturgeon.

Yay to Bierce.

My favorite short story about grief is Bharati Mukherjee's "The Management of Grief." I haven't read "The Stone Boy" but I saw the movie eons ago.

The Swimmer by John Cheever (1964)

Genre: Surrealism

Had you gone for a Sunday afternoon ride that day you might have seen him, close to naked, standing on the shoulders of Route 424, waiting for a chance to cross. You might have wondered if he was the victim of foul play, had his car broken down, or was he merely a fool. Standing barefoot in the deposits of the highway—beer cans, rags, and blowout patches—exposed to all kinds of ridicule, he seemed pitiful. He had known when he started that this was a part of his journey—it had been on his maps—but confronted with the lines of traffic, worming through the summery light, he found himself unprepared. He was laughed at, jeered at, a beer can was thrown at him, and he had no dignity or humor to bring to the situation. He could have gone back, back to the Westerhazys', where Lucinda would still be sitting in the sun. He had signed nothing, vowed nothing, pledged nothing, not even to himself. Why, believing as he did, that all human obduracy was susceptible to common sense, was he unable to turn back? Why was he determined to complete his journey even if it meant putting his life in danger? At what point had this prank, this joke, this piece of horseplay become serious? He could not go back, he could not even recall with any clearness the green water at the Westerhazys', the sense of inhaling the day's components, the friendly and relaxed voices saying that they had drunk too much. In the space of an hour, more or less, be had covered a distance that made his return impossible.
    Summary: Neddy Merrill, a self-contented suburbanite, gets it into his head that he can swim home by going through the pools of all his friends and neighbors. As he goes, though, the story gets darker, and you begin to see cracks in his world's facade.

Why it's great: Cheever turns an unforgiving eye on the well-off, idle class. This story was most assuredly read by those who write for Mad Men.

You can read it: here.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Lamb to the Slaughter by Roald Dahl (1954)

Genre: Fiction, Dark Humor

Now and again she would glance up at the clock, but without anxiety, merely to please herself with the thought that each minute gone by made it nearer the time when he would come. There was a slow smiling air about her, and about everything she did. The drop of a head as she bent over her sewing was curiously tranquil. Her skin -for this was her sixth month with child-had acquired a wonderful translucent quality, the mouth was soft, and the eyes, with their new placid look, seemed larger darker than before. When the clock said ten minutes to five, she began to listen, and a few moments later, punctually as always, she heard the tires on the gravel outside, and the car door slamming, the footsteps passing the window, the key turning in the lock.
    Summary: Meek, gentle Mary Maloney has an unexpected reaction when her beloved (if dominating) husband announces he is leaving her.

Why it's great: You think Roald Dahl is dark when he's writing for children? This sketch is, by turns, subversive, horrifying, and amusing.

You Can Read it: here. It's also in several collections of his short stories.

Also Try: Dahl is pretty strong in the short story genre, although occasionally too mean-spirited even for me. Taste I remember being excellent.
    ...and the milk's in me.

I'm sure I won't have read any, but when this list is complete, I will get on it.

Good idea.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman (1892)

Genre: Gothic Horror, Feminist Literature

This paper looks to me as if it KNEW what a vicious influence it had!

There is a recurrent spot where the pattern lolls like a broken neck and two bulbous eyes stare at you upside down.

I get positively angry with the impertinence of it and the everlastingness. Up and down and sideways they crawl, and those absurd, unblinking eyes are everywhere. There is one place where two breadths didn't match, and the eyes go all up and down the line, one a little higher than the other.

I never saw so much expression in an inanimate thing before, and we all know how much expression they have!
    Summary: Suffering from a "nervous" condition, a woman is isolated in the upper rooms of a vacation house and forced to rest. She becomes increasingly paranoid and is particularly bothered by the wallpaper in the room, which seems sinister.

Why it's great: The creepiness and atmosphere is as well done, in my opinion, as Poe or Lovecraft. Gilman does a great job of revealing more to the reader than the somewhat naive journalist recounts. (She sees bars on the windows and rings for chains on the wall, and so assumes the room was used as some sort of gymnasium.)

More than a scary story, though, The Yellow Wallpaper tackles some pretty serious social issues. Our narrator is treated like a spoiled child by her husband, despite the fact that she is genuinely ill, and as she becomes more and more psychotic, her subconcious becomes more and more rebellious to his controlling nature.

In my opinion, this story is criminally underread.

...and the milk's in me.

the swimmer is possibly my favorite short story. lamb to the slaughter would rank high for me as well.

Young Goodman Brown by Nathaniel Hawthorne (1835)

Genre: Historical Fiction, Allegorical

"Poor little Faith!" thought he, for his heart smote him. "What a wretch am I to leave her on such an errand! She talks of dreams, too. Methought as she spoke there was trouble in her face, as if a dream had warned her what work is to be done tonight. But no, no; 't would kill her to think it. Well, she's a blessed angel on earth; and after this one night I'll cling to her skirts and follow her to heaven."
    Summary: A man in Puritan New England goes looking for some evil, and finds it.

Why it's Great: Hawthorne's themes of sin, torture, redemption, and suspicion play out in minature in this story, which is less literal than most of his works. It almost reads like a Morality Play.

Also try: The Minister's Black Veil, for more of the same, or Rappaccini's Daughter for something completely different.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Hills Like White Elephants by Ernest Hemingway (1927)

Genre: Fiction

'And we could have all this,' she said. 'And we could have everything and every day we make it more impossible.'

'What did you say?'

'I said we could have everything.'

'No, we can't.'

'We can have the whole world.'

'No, we can't.'

'We can go everywhere.'

'No, we can't. It isn't ours any more.'

'It's ours.'

'No, it isn't. And once they take it away, you never get it back.'

'But they haven't taken it away.'

'We'll wait and see.'
    Summary: Two people have drinks. Really, I'm not telling you more than that.

Why it's great: If it wasn't so good, it would be easy to dismiss this unusual story as an excercise. Like, "Write a story about apples without using any of the following words: apple, core, pit, peel, seed, fruit, eat, or sweet." I used this story when I was a teacher to try and get my students to think about subtext.

Also notable about the style is that it is almost just lines of dialogue without any real hints, beyond the words, of how anyone is feeling. It's a story without adverbs.

You Can Read It: here.

Also Try: Hemingway was a master of the short story. I'm not sure I've read a bad one. If someone can help me remember one that I really liked, I'm blanking on the name. It had to do with a couple on a hunting trip in Africa.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    Also Try: Hemingway was a master of the short story. I'm not sure I've read a bad one. If someone can help me remember one that I really liked, I'm blanking on the name. It had to do with a couple on a hunting trip in Africa.
    Does

[
    ]

If so, it's "The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber."
    Twitter

Yearly Top 11s

The Lottery by Shirley Jackson (1948)

Genre: Horror

"It's not the way it used to be." Old Man Warner said clearly. "People ain't the way they used to be."
    Summary: A small town holds a lottery every year.

Why it's Great: This is probably one of the most widely-read short stories in the United States. I think too much emphasis is put on the "twist" ending, which isn't actually too twisty if you're paying attention. Instead, I think we should laud how brilliantly Jackson makes a story scary-- really scary-- without having any darkness or smoke, or lightning, or miasma of death, or anything. The prose is crisp and clear, the setting is sunny and suburban. It's matter-of-fact, and that makes it all the creepier.

You can read it: here. (PDF)
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Eleven (view post)
    Does

[
    ]

If so, it's "The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber."
    Yes, that's it! Thanks, I couldn't remember it at all.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    Yes, that's it! Thanks, I couldn't remember it at all.
    No prob. That is an interesting, ambiguous one, like the best of Hemingway. Everybody's got questionable actions but the language refuses to judge.
    Twitter

Yearly Top 11s

The Dead by James Joyce (1914)

Genre: Fiction

One by one they were all becoming shades. Better pass boldly into that other world, in the full glory of some passion, than fade and wither dismally with age.
    Summary: Gabriel and his wife Gretta attend a dinner party. (It has one of the "internal" plots where what happens on the outside is less important.)

Why it's Great: This isn't really a short story-- it's a long story. But it's not a novel, so I'm counting it.

Joyce draws intriguing characters here in Gabriel, whom we feel like we know intimately after a few pages, and Gretta, whom we feel is a total mystery. Gabriel's epiphany is brilliantly and beautifully rendered.

You can read it: In The Dubliners, shown above. It is also widely anthologized.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Banned
    awesome. i'll try to get to all of these eventually.

i hope raymond carver's "put yourself in my shoes" appears on this list.

Quote Quoting trotchky (view post)
    awesome. i'll try to get to all of these eventually.

i hope raymond carver's "put yourself in my shoes" appears on this list.
    I need to give Carver another shot. I've only read two of his stories, and they left me cold. I also find his massive body of work a little bit daunting. Maybe I can start with your suggestion, and work on from there.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast