Page 115 of 115 FirstFirst ... 1565105113114115
Results 2,851 to 2,868 of 2868

Thread: The Atheist Thread: Re-envisioning Social Mores

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting BuffaloWilder (view post)
    Holy shit, this entire thread is just absolutely retarded. Arguments about semantic definitions of atheism, a bunch of reactionary, silly sub-reddit quality screeds equating belief in God to "fairies" and "unicorns," (it's customary with this kind of thing to tip your fedora afterwords, you know) and the circle just keeps going. It is mind-boggling that you guys, for all of your collective experiences, can think of nothing more interesting to say about theology and its implications (or lack thereof) than "I don't believe it because it's sexist/old/archaic/racist/insert here," and the religious equivalent, for 95 pages.
    If only our comments were as interesting and measured as a single paragraph of self-aggrandizing befuddlement that opens with "absolutely retarded."

::tips fedora::

I've had my frustrations with this thread (most specifically how an initial stated purpose of how to organize a religion-less life in the spheres religion dominates, like life cycle events and such, quickly gave way to chronicling religion at its worst), but man. DaMU already gave the best possible response.

This thread is totally gay.

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    And it is somewhat disappointing to me that you, despite your obviously strong command of the English language, would resort to childish and insulting words like retarded.
    Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up
    If only our comments were as interesting and measured as a single paragraph of self-aggrandizing befuddlement that opens with "absolutely retarded."

::tips fedora::
    I'm a little surprised and disappointed that neither of you called me an ableist, or something.
    thefilmistreturns.wordpress.com

Impossible. Meaningless.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    So awesome that this exchange brought you out of hiding. :lol:

Hi, Davis! We love you!
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    No fair drive-by posts!

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Quote Quoting BuffaloWilder (view post)
    Holy shit, this entire thread is just absolutely retarded. Arguments about semantic definitions of atheism, a bunch of reactionary, silly sub-reddit quality screeds equating belief in God to "fairies" and "unicorns," (it's customary with this kind of thing to tip your fedora afterwords, you know) and the circle just keeps going. It is mind-boggling that you guys, for all of your collective experiences, can think of nothing more interesting to say about theology and its implications (or lack thereof) than "I don't believe it because it's sexist/old/archaic/racist/insert here," and the religious equivalent, for 95 pages.

Except for Qrazy, who seems content to sit back and watch. Which is the proper response.
    Says the man with 85 posts in the thread.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    So awesome that this exchange brought you out of hiding. :lol:
    HAHAHA.

Stopped by for a few moments, and I just couldn't resist.

I get a simultaneous feeling of humor and revulsion when I realize the people labeled "religious extremists" are the ones actually following their holy books to the number.

Quote Quoting Spun Lepton (view post)
    I get a simultaneous feeling of humor and revulsion when I realize the people labeled "religious extremists" are the ones actually following their holy books to the number.
    Jon Krakauer's Under the Banner of Heaven explores this topic to great effect.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    I wonder whatever happened to the Ron Howard movie.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    You misspelled "queasy."
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    There are still 7 states that an atheist can not hold office in under the states constitution.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Since this is the closest thing to a religion thread,

captioning something called "Revelation Illustrated," which is exactly what it sounds like, and I truly do love Revelation for all its batshit comic book action and symbology. Or, at least, I have to figure most of this has symbolic meaning someone in 96 AD would understand. The lamb with seven eyes and the dragon sweeping away a third of the stars. Love it, eating it up. Now the dragon is bequeathing power to a monster of the deep. Hell yeah!

Check and mate.

Your turn, atheists.

Flawless logic.

Warning! 8 out of 10 atheists who read this story will stop believing in evolution!

A priest and an atheist are sitting at a restaurant. The atheist looks angrily at the priest and says smugly "I can't believe how dumb you are! How can you not believe in evolution? We have tons of dinosaur fossil evidence!" The priest sips his coffee and ponders how best to explain why evolution is fake to the atheist. The waitress arrives and asks them what they'll have. The atheist orders a hamburger and the priest orders exactly 16 chicken nuggets. The atheist laughs and asks "Chicken nuggets? Aren't those for little kids? It would suit you I guess, because you believe in fairy tales for little kids!". The priest just smiles as replies "I'm going to use them to prove to you how evolution is fake." When the meals arrive, the priest sorts through his chicken nuggets and at last says "Aha!". The atheist asks him "What?". The priest picks up one of the chicken nuggets and shows it to the atheist. The priest begins to speak "Look at this chicken nugget. It's kind of shaped like a dinosaur, isn't it? Look, there's the head, there's the claws, and there's the tail!" The atheist responds "I...I guess you're right. It does look like a dinosaur!". The priest says "Well, you evolutionists would think that since this nugget is shaped like a dinosaur, it means that this chicken nugget used to be a tiny, living dinosaur, millions of years ago! Look, on my plate I only have 16 chicken nuggets. And 1 out of those 16 is shaped like a dinosaur. Now, on Earth, there are billions, if not trillions of rocks. Due to shear chance, of course some of those rocks will be shaped like dinosaurs! That doesn't mean anything at all! It's just pure chance! Just like how this nugget just happens to be dino-shaped" The priest eats the chicken nugget and speaks again "Now, you atheists make fun of Christians when we see Jesus in our pancakes and driveways...but how is this any different from atheists who see dinosaur shapes in rocks?" The atheist sits silently, completely dumbfounded by the priest's flawless logic. After 10 long minutes go by, the priest asks "Aren't you going to eat your burger? It's getting cold." The atheists looks down at it, he isn't hungry. The atheist finally speaks up: "I...I can't believe that for all these years I've denied what is so obvious. God...God is the truth. I...I am so sorry. Father, is it too late for me to become a Christian?" The priest smiles and says "Son, it it never too late to accept Christ!"

So that's really shitty satire by an atheist, right?

Who knows. It was a youtube comment.