Page 1 of 115 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: The Atheist Thread: Re-envisioning Social Mores

The Atheist Thread: Re-envisioning Social Mores

So I'm watching Juzo Itami's The Funeral and the way people behave towards the corpse of the deceased got me to thinking that perhaps those of us who are atheists could formulate some new social behaviors and rituals to mesh with our worldview. I'm not saying the old way should be looked down upon or that different cultural and religious practices should not be respected but I thought that perhaps our different beliefs could shift certain ways of doing things.

For starters if we no longer base our rituals upon our heritage than where should we derive them from? Pragmatism perhaps? Cost/benefit analysis... and generally utilitarian? The individual's personal preference prior to death? The family's preference since they are paying for the funeral and the ritual is really for the living? Would cremation be the most pragmatic postmortem procedure? Or something else? Even if we deny the transcendental soul we need not deny individuality. Perhaps the easiest way to honor that individuality is in fact with an intact body.

This is just one possible issue. What about marriage? Eating rituals? Birthing rituals? Circumcision? Bring up some more as you think of them.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

I see no problem with our current funereal arrangements.
    thefilmistreturns.wordpress.com

Impossible. Meaningless.

Quote Quoting BuffaloWilder (view post)
    I see no problem with our current funereal arrangements.
    Ah.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

I've been wondering about this sort of thing for some time myself, especially related to marriage/weddings. But I haven't really come up with anything too insightful/original yet.

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    I've been wondering about this sort of thing for some time myself, especially related to marriage/weddings. But I haven't really come up with anything too insightful/original yet.
    Might I suggest you enlist Donald Sutherland to preside over your wedding?
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

I used to find the idea of cremation disturbing, but I've since warmed up to its utilitarian advantages and now find the idea of tossing my corspe in a box six feet under to be unsettling. I personally think the individual's personal preference prior to death should be upheld despite what the family may want.

I'm religious and I'm going to be cremated. Unless a cheaper option becomes available. I do not understand burial ceremonies, and I find it disturbing that it has become a money-making industry. The last thing I want in this life is for my surviving family members to be burdened with the cost of a silly funeral. Ash me up and throw me away, thank you very much, or just put my ashes in the fire place. I'll be long gone.

I'm not an athiest, but I found Mary Roach's Stiff to be a fascinating, utilitarian look at dead bodies. Almost everything we do with bodies is bad for the environment, especially burial and cremation. She goes a lot into using bodies for scientific and safety research.

The two methods she explored that I thought sounded the best are actually both illegal in the United States: composting and dissolving in acid/lye. I kind of like the second one because it does what the body does naturally, breaking it down and decaying it, but much faster. The composting is interesting, but gruesome (yes, you need to "turn" it) but I liked her idea of composting a body and then planting a tree in the soil in memory of the deceased.

[
    ]
    ...and the milk's in me.

My personal feeling is that if you're dead, it's kind of selfish to take up space. Presumably, in most cases, it is not the body we will fondly remember, but the irretrievable personality. This does not have to be a cold, pragmatic idea. It is actually quite poetic, as many before me have noted. Let's get those atoms circulating back in the universe and not just have them sitting in a box clinging to retain the form of something that is no more.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (NoƩ, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    I will be cremated. And let me tell you, nothing is more aggravating to me than funeral processions. They are just about my least favorite thing on the planet. Effing up traffic and causing delays because somebody died. I don't find it respectful to the dead but rather disrespectful to the living. Why is it necessary for you to travel in a single file line at 20+ below the speed limit? Just go to the freakin' cemetary dammit!
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **Ā½
    The Counselor (2013) *Ā½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***Ā½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

At some point somebody must have calculated the acceptably reverent speed for vehicles to travel. 15 miles per hour? Reasonable and respectful. 30 miles per hour? You heartless bastard.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (NoƩ, 2018) **1/2

How do people feel about grave robbing
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    How do people feel about grave robbing
    Only acceptable for Indiana Jones, Lara Croft and Dora the Explorer.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (NoƩ, 2018) **1/2

I have two atheist friends who are getting married, but they're being married by an Episcopal minister or something.

I think I'll probably be cremated, though I wouldn't mind having a small, unassuming stone or slab or plaque somewhere.

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    Only acceptable for Indiana Jones, Lara Croft and Dora the Explorer.
    New Dora or Old Dora?
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

I think we should build a man made island out of corpses for when the sea levels rise.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    New Dora or Old Dora?
    Old Dora. If Tween Dora is caught in a cemetery, I can only assume she's gone there to make out with boys.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (NoƩ, 2018) **1/2

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    Old Dora. If Tween Dora is caught in a cemetery, I can only assume she's gone there to make out with boys.
    What a harlot.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Oh and cremated, certainly, but I wistfully regret the chance to impart some terrifying wit-truth on people via the odd carved headstone haiku or bit of verse.

Maybe I'll ask for my ashes to be smoothied into tatoo ink and....oh the places this might lead.

--Homer

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    I'm not an athiest, but I found Mary Roach's Stiff to be a fascinating, utilitarian look at dead bodies. Almost everything we do with bodies is bad for the environment, especially burial and cremation. She goes a lot into using bodies for scientific and safety research.
    British author Jessica Mitford's The American Way of Death is a fascinating critique about the evils of the American funeral indu$try. "Behind the Formaldehyde Curtain" is often anthologized in composition readers.

Wait, wait, wait, WAIT! Hold on!

There's a tween Dora?!

What the hell? That's sacrilegious.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    So I'm watching Juzo Itami's The Funeral and the way people behave towards the corpse of the deceased got me to thinking that perhaps those of us who are atheists could formulate some new social behaviors and rituals to mesh with our worldview. I'm not saying the old way should be looked down upon or that different cultural and religious practices should not be respected but I thought that perhaps our different beliefs could shift certain ways of doing things.
    You're proposing we "formulate new social behaviors and rituals," but atheism doesn't assign social behaviors or rituals for us to change. It is the absence of belief in deities, nothing more.
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

I don't really care what happens to my body when I die. Someone can figure that out for me I guess, and think, "That's what he would've wanted."

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Spun Lepton (view post)
    You're proposing we "formulate new social behaviors and rituals," but atheism doesn't assign social behaviors or rituals for us to change. It is the absence of belief in deities, nothing more.
    OK THEN! Have fun saying prayers at supper, because that's what my family does and if I'm not elaborating new social behaviors than that's what I would be doing as well.

I'm not saying atheism dictates new social behaviors I'm saying what would be some rituals and behaviors which could mesh with the perspective. Praying could also mesh with the view in theory but the prayer would no long be focused on a diety... it could be about mindfulness or what have you.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

i think i would rather be cremated than buried. being donated to science creeps me out a bit. i am an organ donor though.

Page 1 of 115 1231151101 ... LastLast