Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My Somewhat-Arbitrarily-Numbered Top 50 SF Books

D, how does the film version of Nausicaa compare to the book? Do you prefer one over the other?
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    D, how does the film version of Nausicaa compare to the book? Do you prefer one over the other?
    I like them both equally, but they are different beasts. The book is far, far more epic. It enjoys the luxury of length; it's more of an epic war story. However, the movie is more concise, and more personal, and it is greatly enhanced by the production values, especially the music and deep colors.

44. The War of the Worlds and The First Men in the Moon (1898 and 1901) - H.G. Wells

These two short novels are true classics of the genre. They deserve all the praise thrust upon them, and each is an example of a common genre convention.

War of the Worlds is the classic alien invasion story. This common convention has generated a number of great narratives, and most of these owe a huge debt of grattitude to Mr. Wells.

The First Men in the Moon is a space-discovery story. It details mankind's first journey to that strange orb in our night sky: the moon. The technology that makes this possible is pretty silly, but the sense of discovery is awe inspiring.

I first read these only a couple of years ago. Thinking that they wouldn't have anything to offer my modern mind, I was reluctant to give into their narratives. However, I was proven wrong. While the language is dated by today's standards, and much of the science/tech is laughable and silly, the narratives are still gripping and the conventions are timeless.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    LOVED War of the Worlds. I don't understand how two film versions screwed up the most imperative feature of the novel, in that it's set in the late 1800's/early 1900's and people had no defense for this type of thing. I believe there was a moment where Wells notices villagers throwing pots and knives at the tripods, because that's all they have to defend themselves. To me, that was the most frightening aspect of the novel.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    LOVED War of the Worlds. I don't understand how two film versions screwed up the most imperative feature of the novel, in that it's set in the late 1800's/early 1900's and people had no defense for this type of thing. I believe there was a moment where Wells notices villagers throwing pots and knives at the tripods, because that's all they have to defend themselves. To me, that was the most frightening aspect of the novel.
    It's true. It's one of the best depictions of mankind being invaded by something that is totally more powerful. And yet Wells doesn't make it come off as magic or fantasy. It's really well done.

43. Destroying Angel (1992) - Richard Paul Russo

Destroying Angel is book one of the Carlucci trilogy, a series of hardboiled, detective-themed SF. While books two and three of the series feature Detective Carlucci as the main character, this first book focuses on a PI named Tanner. The narrative details a Summer-of-Sam-like series of murders that take place in a futuristic, dystopian San Fransisco. It's like Seven meets Bladerunner meets Ghost in the Shell, but it's not just a knock off of these well known stories.

The best part about this book, and the real reason it's on this list, is the atmosphere. I rarely come across a book in which the atmosphere and oppression are so tangible. While reading it I could practically smell the delapidated city and its inhabitants. Russo writes with an understated style, and with great skill. And as the winner of multiple Philip K. Dick awards, he is definitely an author to keep an eye on.

42. Out of the Silent Planet (1938) - C.S. Lewis

This was one of the first SF books I ever read, part of C.S. Lewis's Space Trilogy. It, along with the Hobbit, was my introduction into the realms of SF and Fantasy. My mom loved both genres, and she encouraged me to read as much as possible. I am also a big fan of religious-based SF, and SF stories that examine humankind's relationship with God-like entities. Most of these examples are written by men and women who are not religious, or at least not in the traditional sense. Lewis was Christian, and thus his religious-themed SF narrative examined space and planetary exploration using Christian allegory.

I haven't read the Space Trilogy since I was a kid. This is the book I remember the most. I plan on rereading them this year, and I am hoping I gleam more out of the narrative.

Quote Quoting Daniel Davis (view post)
    I haven't read the Space Trilogy since I was a kid. This is the book I remember the most. I plan on rereading them this year, and I am hoping I gleam more out of the narrative.
    They gain in confidence as they go on, I think. The first one may be the most plot-driven, but the emotion of the third one knocks me out of the park. Brilliantly done.
    ...and the milk's in me.

I can't look at that title "Out of the Silent Planet" without singing it in my head in Bruce Dickinson's awesomely hardcore voice.

I can't look at that title "Out of the Silent Planet" without singing it in my head in Bruce Dickinson's awesomely hardcore voice.
    Heh...

41. Gateway (1977) - Pohl

While reading this, I wasn't quite sure how I felt about it. I knew it was good, I was into the characters, and the drama was tangible. However, I kept waiting for something big to happen. I kept waiting for a big reveal, and that reveal never really came. When I finished the book, I was a tad disappointed. But some time later, I looked back at it, and it started to grow on me.

It really is all about the character development. SF is not (EVER!) reliant upon any certain setting, or technology, or era. SF is all about speculation, and using fantastic devices as lenses through which an author is able to examine our society with a different perspective. Gateway is the perfect example of this convention.

While sequels were written, and the world of the humans and the aliens was touched upon in greater detail, I really have no desire to read more. The book works wonderfully by itself (it was never meant to be a series), and I feel totally satisfied by it.

40. The Adventures of Samurai Cat (series) (1984-1998) - Mark Rogers

***WARNING***WARNING***
    ***NOSTALGIA ALERT***

This should have been much lower on the list; don't think that this is somehow better than Dangerous Visions, or any of the others really. Such is the nature of this quickly-thrown together Top 50. However, if you like your SF with a mega-dose of irreverent humor, pop-culture satire, and lampooning, then Samurai Cat is your feline.

Basically, Rogers takes a samurai furry, along with his sub-machine totin', cigar smokin' sidekick, and puts them in a series of movie spoofs in which they fight Darth Vader, Hitler, Cthulhu, and other baddies, whilst parodying Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Conan and other beloved SF&F franchises.

Each book contains a number of beautifully painted pictures by Rogers. I wish I still had my small collection, but unfortunately they were damaged awhile ago and I threw them out.

I can't say that these are great books, or that I would love now as much as I did when I was a kid, but they are fun, and if you like having a good time with a little mischief and carnage mixed in, check them out. It's kind of like Mad Magazine meets old Cerebus the Aardvark and Boris the Bear.

39. The Gods Themselves (1972) - Isaac Asimov

Let's now return to something more serious. You really can't get any more serious than Asimov. Asimov was a no nonsense kind of SF writer, and a prolific one at that; thinking of all the Asimov stuff there is to read is overwhelming, and I haven't even scratched the surface. He was also into the hard science, being an actual scientist and a writer. While I like some of his stuff, I often feel that his stories can be cold and lacking in emotion. Perhaps this is because of our clashing world views. He being a secular humanist and me being a religious person means that we don't often see eye to eye. But that's cool. I like his robot stories a great deal, but I'm not into the Foundation books at all.

This book represents Asimov's attempt at something more new wave in style, and it is a total success. The narrative is told in three connected novellas, and is presented out of chronological order. It's also one of his warmest stories in terms of humanity and emotional understanding. It deals with the sexual relations of an alien species, and a trade union between the humans and these aliens who exist in a parallel universe. It's all quite good.

"Gateway" is one I've seen on countless "best sci-fi" lists, but still haven't gotten around to reading. Once I get through my various PKD and Sturgeon books that are sitting on my shelf unread, I'll try to get to that one.

Asimov is an author I am very sadly under-read with.

"Gateway" is one I've seen on countless "best sci-fi" lists, but still haven't gotten around to reading. Once I get through my various PKD and Sturgeon books that are sitting on my shelf unread, I'll try to get to that one.

Asimov is an author I am very sadly under-read with.
    I think you'll dig Gateway. It has staying power.

I'm in the same boat with you regarding Asimov. There's just so dang much out there. It's a daunting task.

Quote Quoting Daniel Davis (view post)
    I think you'll dig Gateway. It has staying power.

I'm in the same boat with you regarding Asimov. There's just so dang much out there. It's a daunting task.

I found an Asimov book at the used books section of the library a few months back, and was really excited to read it.

Then I found out that it was part 2 in a 3 part story, and my dreams were shattered.

The nice thing about Asimov and other classic SF writers is that you can find super cheap versions of their books at just about any used book store or thrift store.

Yeah I've only read The Foundation series (the core five books) which I quite like... I Robot and Prelude to Foundation. I enjoyed all of them.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    I can only assume that The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch will be #1 on this list. Or maybe More Than Human.

I got no complaints on the list so far. Though I've only read Dangerous Visions and The War of the Worlds.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    I can only assume that The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch will be #1 on this list. Or maybe More Than Human.
    Both of these are on the list, and you might be right about which one is #1.

38. RIM (1994) - Alexander Besher

One of my favorite cyberpunk novels. Full of everything that makes the genre so attractive: computers, technology, a world overrun by large Japanese corporations, AI, VR, you name it.

It also contains one of the most memorable things I've ever read in a SF book. The book depicts a world in which millions of people are habitually jacked-in to a VR-like construct that is a kind of MMRPG-ARG-Net thing. These trodeheads live plugged in, and when they walk around IRL, they are lead around by canine companions. When a catastrophe strikes and basically "kills" the net, all of these trodeheads become lifeless shells of men and woman, their comatose bodies being dragged around by dogs.

Such a cool image.

The problem with cyberpunk is how dated it often is. Cyberpunk is a genre that examines the here and now - it deals with the present-future. It's tough to go back and read some older CP because of this, but RIM stands the test of time. It's fun, exciting, and in light of popular MMRPGS like WOW it is still timely and poignant.

It's not the best the genre has to offer (a few more to be mentioned later), but it is very, very good.

If I remember correctly, you're not too fond of William Gibson's "Neuromancer", correct? I know it's considered quite an important cyberpunk work, and I did like it, but I just cannot get behind its enormous reputation.

This "RIM" looks great. I'll mark it down.

If I remember correctly, you're not too fond of William Gibson's "Neuromancer", correct? I know it's considered quite an important cyberpunk work, and I did like it, but I just cannot get behind its enormous reputation.

This "RIM" looks great. I'll mark it down.
    I don't like Neuromancer at all. It's practically unreadable today, as far as I'm concerned. There's a hardcore cyberpunk book published 4 years before Neuromancer that is far better, more poignant, and infinitely more readable that will be appearing later on this list.

Gibson has written far better books since then.

Why do you say it's practically unreadable?

As I said I don't think it's legendary as many do, but I saw nothing unreadable about it. That's a pretty strong word.

Why do you say it's practically unreadable?

As I said I don't think it's legendary as many do, but I saw nothing unreadable about it. That's a pretty strong word.
    There's practically zero story or characterization. It's almost all tech jargon and postulating about the very near future. It's dry, and uninteresting, with very little for me to grab on to. For something that is supposed to have a 'punk' attitude, it's light on pathos and energy. Compare it to John Shirley's City Come A-Walkin, or Alfred Bester's The Stars My Destination, grounds zero and pre-zero of the cyberpunk movement, and it's lack of verve and attitude is apparent. Those are books that scream revolution, while Neuromancer merely whispers.

At the time of its release, the ideas were novel and interesting, thus people could over look the book's glaring faults in narrative and character. However, it's ideas are no longer interesting today. They've been co-opted by authors who've turned them into much stronger stories with better narratives and characters. There's just nothing going for it now.

However, even when I first read the book, it was around '90 or so I think, it still didn't blow me; I really had a hard time getting through it. Having already been exposed to PKD and some of the other early authors of pre-cyberpunk, Neuromancer's threadbare narrative failed to capture my attention.

Although I was in love with the stuff that it inspired. I do, in fact, appreciate it, or respect it for pushing the genre forward, and for giving us RPGs like Shadowrun.

I spent a long time resenting Gibson. While he was getting praised, it seemed to me that PKD was getting overshadowed. I did however grow out of that silly phase. Gibson has really come into his own, and has since written some wonderful books.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast