Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warehouse 13

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar

Warehouse 13

I just caught up with this show today. I'm really enjoying it. The only reason I watched it was because I was dead to the world from playing soccer yesterday and it happened to be OnDemand, but it's very entertaining. A bit like The X-Files, but much lighter in tone. Much more playful.

Does anyone else watch this?

I'm enjoying it for the same reasons. Of course it's a rehash of familiar themes and shows, but it's fun. I like the character dynamics, and it's Jane Espenson (BSG, Firefly) trademark funny. I dislike the apparent nature of the objects collected in the Warehouse, making them sort of supernatural instead of sci-fi, but I hope there is some kind of "big picture" that explains just why the objects acquire such special traits. The women are very nice, too, especially the sultry Genelle Williams, although Allison Scagliotti is cute.

Oh, and I really like the opening credits, one of the best in recent memory IMO:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkRVdn9jFn8

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    and it's Jane Espenson (BSG, Firefly) trademark funny.
    Jane does this? I might have to check it out.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    Jane does this? I might have to check it out.
    She co-created it, but I don't know how much she's involved beyond the pilot.

I'm liking S2 already. Jaime Murray (Lila from Dexter) is in it, and her character is pretty damn cool. She's more at home with this kind of stuff, it seems, although I didn't mind her in Dexter at all. She's less naked, unfortunately.

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    I haven't started watching season 2, but I did watch season 1 as it aired and liked it. I would group in with a show like Burn Notice where I will always enjoy it but I don't think it'll ever exceed expectations.

Funny you should mention that, because Mo Ryan of the Chicago Tribune wrote a piece on the S2 opener (two episodes) and she used the Burn Notice comparison too, albeit in another context:

The series, which follows a pair of Secret Service agents as they track down and attempt to safely store artifacts with strange and dangerous powers, is lighthearted and zippy, which is only appropriate for a summer offering. But toward the end of the Syfy show's first season, it showed signs of becoming more than just "Burn Notice's" nerdier, goofier sibling, and thank goodness for that.

Yeah, I would probably agree to that. The ending of the season did excite more then anything Burn Notice has done. I like Burn Notice but it's just so formulaic.

I was hoping the new addition that Budo mentioned wouldn't be Claudia. I think she's annoying. Maybe she'll grow on me.
    ...and the milk's in me.

I was hoping the new addition that Budo mentioned wouldn't be Claudia. I think she's annoying. Maybe she'll grow on me.
    Don't do that! You're like a... granny sometimes.
    She's adorable, Dina and I love her, and Scagliotti seems like a nice girl in r/l too.

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    Don't do that! You're like a... granny sometimes.
    She's adorable, Dina and I love her, and Scagliotti seems like a nice girl in r/l too.
    She grew on me. I didn't like her in her first episode-- she felt forced and unfocused. But she's being all cute now.
    ...and the milk's in me.

She grew on me. I didn't like her in her first episode-- she felt forced and unfocused. But she's being all cute now.
    Definitely, they toned down the "attitude" and made her less snarky, or she just grew out of it as a character after she figured stuff out (which is what I choose to believe). She's like the kid sister I never had.

Man...

[
    ]

'Twas great seeing Staite and Maher together again.

But can Myka rock that vinyl or what!ritch:

I loved the gag with the commercial break in this last episode.

- - - - -
    Anyone still watching this one?

Love them [
    ]

I can't think of another series -- heavy genre or not -- that had this many women on it when the show in question (1) wasn't aiming for a female demographic or (2) didn't constantly play off the sex appeal of its stars (like Charmed or Cleopatra 2025). It's goddamn freshing.

I'm watching. Haven't seen this week's episode yet, but despite its flaws I love this show. It's just so likable. It's breezy and charming and fun. And I love that they aren't pushing for a relationship between Pete and Mikah. It'll more than likely occur in the future, but they're letting it develop and progress naturally rather than forcing it too soon.

I'm also watching. It's one of the shows my girlfriend and I love watching together. I'm actually watching this week's show right now and it's pretty awesome. I love the little references and cameos.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    And I love that they aren't pushing for a relationship between Pete and Mikah. It'll more than likely occur in the future, but they're letting it develop and progress naturally rather than forcing it too soon.
    I'd be surprised if this happened at all. The show feels like it's aiming to be family friendly all around, a kind of X-Files and Friday the 13: The Series 'lite.' So no blood, no scares, and no sex.

More than that, though, those two stars have zero onscreen chemistry together. It's pretty awful.

I swear, the relationship between Artie and Claudie is more interesting and has more charge than the one between the two principals.

I disagree on the chemistry - they're not a match made in heaven, but "zero" is ridiculous.

- - - - -
    Nah, it's zero sexual chemistry. They've got a pretty good friend or brother-sister thing going .. but that's it.

Yeah, I think they have chemistry, but at this point it's a sibling chemistry rather than romantic, but I think they're slowly moving toward a romantic relationship.

- - - - -
    Hmm .. I guess I'm arguing that you can't force that. I mean, they can write it on the page but if the actors aren't sparking on screen it just won't play.

The most obvious comparison here is Mulder and Scully, and in that show Anderson and Duchovny had an immediate palpable chemistry going and great charisma as a couple.

Well, that's why I was saying that I like that they're letting it develop naturally. I think this season we've seen a few moments here and there, and if they keep up that slow, subtle pace to their relationship it might make for a pretty nice connection by season four or five. We shall see.

Well I sort of warmed to this and was starting to enjoy it but now I don't know. Unless this is going to start making a whole lot more sense sometime soon than the writing is insultingly stupid. Plot threads that go nowhere, character motivations that turn on a dime, moral codes that bend to circumstance. Meh.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast