Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Mad Men

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    As for the sexism, I didn't think much of it, because I don't think the misogyny displayed is that archaic. Most of what the men engage in on the show are the same type of sexual harassment still going on today. In fact, I think it's pretty cool that they're showing the early forms of women's sexual liberation. That's what I noticed, not the sexism.
    Yikes, where do you live?
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    Yikes, where do you live?
    Tehran. Where do you live?
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Haven't watched the show, but amctv.com is letting you create yourself as a Mad Man character.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Banned
    edit: oh wait i skipped a bunch of steps by mistake

ok thats better

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Tehran. Where do you live?
    eye donut beleev u.

Canada.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

You know, I'm a little bit sick of reading articles and responses to this show talking about Don and Betty's "loveless" marriage. I think that's a facile and condescending way to look at a complicated relationship. I think it also makes everyone feel better about his infidelities, if we can pretend he doesn't love Betty.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Amnesiac (view post)
    Yeah, same here.

Qrazy, are you planning on checking out the second season?
    If I finally do not for a long while. I want to watch Rome, Oz, Kings and a bunch of others first.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    You know, I'm a little bit sick of reading articles and responses to this show talking about Don and Betty's "loveless" marriage. I think that's a facile and condescending way to look at a complicated relationship. I think it also makes everyone feel better about his infidelities, if we can pretend he doesn't love Betty.
    Agreed, there is a lot about his behavior that suggests that he truly loves and cares for her and his family. It obviously doesn't forgive his infidelities, but it certainly complicates them.
    Follow me on Twitter

I just finished season 2, and I really think KF, Qrazy, and all other naysayers need to check it out.

I myself was uncomfortable with the misogyny in season 1, but a big part of that was because the show was otherwise so masculine, and the female characters didn't have much to do. In season 2, they're expanded upon in such compelling ways, you'd have to see it to believe it. The sexist actions committed by the men are treated much more maturely now--it's obvious the show thinks they're just as wrong as we do.

Aside from all that, it was just a brilliant, addictive piece of television that blows season 1 out of the water.

Just in time for season 3. The premiere episode of which is airing as we speak, I think.
    Watching it now.

Did no one else catch it? It was a pretty good episode--nothing amazing, but the show has never really been an explosive, cliffhanger kind of program. Especially not at the beginning of seasons.

[
    ]

Oh, I thought Don catching Sal rounding third base was pretty shocking.
    ...and the milk's in me.

So I just recently found out that Mad Men is a network TV series. I could have sworn it was ShowCase.

That means Christina Hendricks never reveals whether or not she actually has torpedoes, or just wears very form-enhancing outfits.

It is a scientific study that must be carried out, and since this show doesn't seem to agree with me, my interest has declined.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

[
    ]
    [
    ]

Quote Quoting Mara
    Oh, I thought Don catching Sal rounding third base was pretty shocking.
    Meh, it was a good moment and well-played, but not that shocking to me. It had to happen eventually, and Don catching him was probably one of the least scandalous ways it could go down (because Don is much more respectful and understanding than the other coworkers). Also, their discussion at the end made it clear that Don wasn't going to blackmail him or probably even bring it up again.

Now, it was a little shocking how far the show took the actual scene. I think it was more suggestive than any of the straight love scenes have ever been, and that's pretty daring!

Quote Quoting Cult (view post)
    Now, it was a little shocking how far the show took the actual scene. I think it was more suggestive than any of the straight love scenes have ever been, and that's pretty daring!
    Yeah, it was pretty explicit. Especially for non-HBO, non-Showtime. I'd say it was roughly as explicit as that scene where Dan fingerbangs the comedian's wife.
    ...and the milk's in me.

You're right about it having to happen eventually but I definitely found it pretty shocking nonetheless. I suppose it was just me sympathizing with how devastating that must have been for Sal, I really couldn't help but share in his immediate despair. Incidentally, I had also, just minutes earlier, been wondering if the show would ever have Don find out about his secret.
    Exactly, and as you said it had to be Don--which also contributed to it not being that shocking of a moment. :P But now we're just splitting hairs. I thought it worked perfectly and I'm glad it wasn't someone less forgiving to find Sal out. Just not technically shocking--though certainly an engaging arc, and one of the only really exciting ones presented in the episode.

I thought one of the most heartbreaking moments was in s2, when the foreign guy came out to everyone, and Cosgrove--the object of Sal's crush--says something like "I knew queers existed, I just don't want to work with them" and the following shot of Sal's expression.

I really wonder whether the show will ultimately have him outed and have his marriage and work life subsequently devastated. Or maybe they'll have him carry on in secret, maybe eventually coming out willingly as 60's America becomes more liberated. One of the things the show does so brilliantly is plants little seeds and then expands on them far into the future. It makes things all the more poignant and believable.

Next week I'm hoping for more Peggy and more Joan. But this was a strong opening.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Footnotes of Mad Men.

Interesting site giving more information on peripheral things from the show, like the art in Bert's office, Peggy's birth control, etc. Also includes era print ads.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Pretty cool.

I've been singing that stupid "Bye Bye Birdie" song for days. I don't even like that musical.
    ...and the milk's in me.

I thought we were going to get some Pete/Peggy interaction this week. Guess not.

Loved Joan's little song. Yay for the female-centric episodes! I'm starting to like Jane more, too.

"All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

I will bet anyone $10 that Jack hit that.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast