Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: An Education

Quote Quoting Boner M (view post)
    Jesus, this has 85 on metacritic?! Most overrated film of the year, hands down.
    Word. It's decently engaging, but very slight. Also, is it me or has Emma Thompson not had a good part in anything since Remains of the Day?
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    Also, is it me or has Emma Thompson not had a good part in anything since Remains of the Day?
    That statement is insane.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Saw this film a few weeks ago, and despite the cast it is so eh. Some of it is downright silly, like the last half hour. The sudden narration was terrible especially, moments before it popped up, I expected during the "And I studied and studied and studied!" montage that some cheesy shit would pop up, and then it did... moments later. Ugh.
    Follow me on Twitter

It Makes Me Feel Alone Sxottlan's Avatar
    So I'm getting the impression that this film is hitting a wall, at least around here if not in theatres. There hasn't been much of a furor over it and it actually left one of two theatres here yesterday.

I haven't seen it and I find I can't get very interested in a film when all the hype is just about one performance.
    Out of 4 stars:
    The Guest: ***1/2
    Furious 7: ***
    The Tale of Princess Kaguya: ***
    It Follows: ***1/2

Yep, this totally does get lame and cheat in its final act, but I'd still say I'm probably the film's biggest fan out of all you jokers. Reminded me of Juno in its underrated perceptiveness of a very particular type of adolescent intelligence and, like in Juno, the naive seventeen year old female lead winds up getting a hard, cold cock slap of reality to the face. The performances are all game and even if some of them are too broad and silly, they still fit. It's just a very charming movie that endearingly feels like the sort of film a lot of people were making in the fifties. Not tremendously ambitious or anything, but it's more than enough for what it is

Quote Quoting Adam (view post)
    and, like in Juno, the naive seventeen year old female lead winds up getting a hard, cold cock slap of reality to the face.
    Personally, I wanted to see her get slapped around a little harder--actually, a lot harder. Where's Lars von Trier when you need him?
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

this film is maddeningly average. also, the message seems to be that culture is bad for you.

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Yeah... saw this a while ago. This is another movie that as it went along, I wondered why the reception towards it (at least around these parts) was so cold, but by the end completely understood. I love Mulligan and Molina in this, as well as the film's first act or so, but by the end it's just so bleh. It just comes across completely as something written now about a time when certain ironies about society and class wouldn't necessarily play the same way. Also, it just feels too brief, Saarsgard is uncharacteristically ineffective, maybe not as a fault to him, but the story, and the ending left me really, really annoyed simply because of how it makes such a major point of struggle for the character so breezy and in the end, entirely unfufilling to watch.

I won't be mad at acting or technical recognition (costumes, art direction, etc.) for the movie, but it's just sad to think that this may get a Best Picture nomination when this has been a year where, in my opinion, so many other things deserve it instead.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Quote Quoting ledfloyd (view post)
    this film is maddeningly average. also, the message seems to be that culture is bad for you.
    I wasn't the biggest fan of the film, but beats me how you can infer that from it.

Pretty much agree with number8 here. All the major flaws are in the final act. Why the hell make such a point about the girl's mistake when everything is solved so quickly in a montage? I would have been more happy with an ending that didn't leave me so reassured that the girl has completely composed her life. Since this is based on a real-life memoir, I'd be interested in knowing how the story went. Other than that, the movie is unremarkable but well-made. Every actor in it is good.

Personally, I wanted to see her get slapped around a little harder--actually, a lot harder. Where's Lars von Trier when you need him?
    That's not even funny, jerk. F*** you.
    meh.

Quote Quoting Arthur Seaton (view post)
    That's not even funny, jerk. F*** you.
    Er, might want to read the context a little closer.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

needs therapy, maybe. NickGlass's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    I wasn't the biggest fan of the film, but beats me how you can infer that from it.
    Whenever it becomes known that I despise this film, I simply ask one question to the incredulous person who enjoyed it: what the hell is the message of the film? Really, please define.

I still have not received an answer that's plausible and not convoluted--and the only satisfying answers have been anecdotes/personal principles about the person who is answering and not about Jenny or the actual movie.
    I'm writing for Slant Magazine now, so check out my list of reviews.

Hopefully I'll have the energy to update my signature soon.

Quote Quoting NickGlass (view post)
    Whenever it becomes known that I despise this film, I simply ask one question to the incredulous person who enjoyed it: what the hell is the message of the film? Really, please define.

I still have not received an answer that's plausible and not convoluted--and the only satisfying answers have been anecdotes/personal principles about the person who is answering and not about Jenny or the actual movie.
    I'm waiting until around March 30 to see it.

I have to ask though, is it really an important indicator of quality that one be able to state a film's message in some succinct manner, as you suggest? I've seen lots of films that I've loved where I'd be hard-pressed to state its message (if it even had one) in such few words.
    My Blog
    My Reviews
    Follow me on Twitter

It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Er, might want to read the context a little closer.
    no
    meh.

needs therapy, maybe. NickGlass's Avatar
    Quote Quoting balmakboor (view post)
    I have to ask though, is it really an important indicator of quality that one be able to state a film's message in some succinct manner, as you suggest? I've seen lots of films that I've loved where I'd be hard-pressed to state its message (if it even had one) in such few words.
    I'm just applying it to this film in particular since it ultimately tries to be such a Message Movie™, and it's at once completely obvious in its mechanical Life Philosophies and also horribly confused.
    I'm writing for Slant Magazine now, so check out my list of reviews.

Hopefully I'll have the energy to update my signature soon.

Jeez, isn't this just a rather clear-cut look at a 16 year old who thinks she knows everything only to get in way over head and find/accept that she doesn't? Still not sure why people are so offended by this. It takes an all-too-tidy turn in its third act, fine. But it's not anti-semitic or anything silly like that and it's certainly not aspiring to say anything especially profound. babydoll got it right - charming, but slight. Mulligan's great, anyway

Apart from the discovery of a capable, charismatic young actress, this was utterly inconsequential. I doubt if I will remember a thing about it in a year.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    Apart from the discovery of a capable, charismatic young actress, this was utterly inconsequential. I doubt if I will remember a thing about it in a year.
    Hopefully she has a different agent than Peter Sarsgaard because jesus, as much as I like the guy as an actor, he's rarely in anything that surpasses mediocrity. When Shattered Glass is the best film you're in in over a decade, you need to seek new representation.

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Derek (view post)
    Hopefully she has a different agent than Peter Sarsgaard because jesus, as much as I like the guy as an actor, he's rarely in anything that surpasses mediocrity. When Shattered Glass is the best film you're in in over a decade, you need to seek new representation.
    Jarhead, Kinsey, and Garden State are all very good movies and all three better then Shattered Glass.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Quote Quoting EyesWideOpen (view post)
    Jarhead, Kinsey, and Garden State are all very good movies and all three better then Shattered Glass.
    No, no they're not. Jarhead at least has some admirable qualities, but Kinsey is dull as dirt and shallowly condescending and Garden State is...well, really, it's not necessary to go into the various reasons it blows when a screen shot will scream it awfulness for me:

*shivers*

Jarhead > Shattered Glass >>Kinsey >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Garden State
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Isn't he the villain in an upcoming superhero movie?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Dead on right. The films biggest problem is that the highs are not high enough and the lows are not low enough.

I do love the moment though where the blond asks her why she's speaking French. :lol:
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    I do love the moment though where the blond asks her why she's speaking French. :lol:
    I fully agreed with the blonde in that moment. Quit showing off, you tiny little whore.

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Isn't he the villain in an upcoming superhero movie?
    To be directed by Mr. Mediocre himself, Martin Campbell.

Yeah, why doesn't Peter Sarsgaard get better roles? He was very impressive in Shattered Glass.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast