Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: An Education

An Education

Last edited by Amnesiac; 06-04-2019 at 09:57 AM.

Nitpick: using "the shit" in a positive light doesn't really work when you insert an adjective in between.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

No thanks.
    Last 5 Viewed
    Riddick (David Twohy | 2013 | USA/UK)
    Night Across the Street (Raoul Ruiz | 2012 | Chile/France)*
    Pain & Gain (Michael Bay | 2013 | USA)*
    You're Next (Adam Wingard | 2011 | USA)
    Little Odessa (James Gray | 1994 | USA)*

*recommended *highly recommended

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

twitter | next projection | criticker | frames within frames

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Ew. Hope it's better than that trailer suggests.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    Ew. Hope it's better than that trailer suggests.
    It is, but only slightly.

Some good eye candy. I'll probably see it.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Boner M (view post)
    It is, but only slightly.
    I'll pass.

I don't really understand why one would become so vehemently opposed to the film based solely on that trailer. Personally, I think it looks good, but perhaps my opinion/faith is slightly bolstered by all the raving over Mulligan's performance. I liked what I saw of her character in the trailer, too.

Banned
    I don't know about this movie.

Just read a salivating review of this film. Has anyone else seen it?
    ...and the milk's in me.

Voltage!!!
    I'm very interested in this one since it's directed by a Dane, but as far as I know it's not been show here yet. The word of mouth is incredible, though.
    "Listen man, it might be hard to understand, but
    Don't mourn the dead,
    Celebrate the life they gave"
    - Kashmir "Seraphina"

What tickles me is that US press is angling on the film as some kind of taboo and a movie about a sexual predator, because it's a relationship between an older man and a 16 year old girl.

But in England, 16 is the age of consent. So nothing about this movie is legally inappropriate, and I don't believe the movie is even about that at all.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Jesus, this has 85 on metacritic?! Most overrated film of the year, hands down.

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    What tickles me is that US press is angling on the film as some kind of taboo and a movie about a sexual predator, because it's a relationship between an older man and a 16 year old girl.

But in England, 16 is the age of consent. So nothing about this movie is legally inappropriate, and I don't believe the movie is even about that at all.
    Yeah. The idea of it being wrong isn't even discussed if I remember.

As for its high reviews, I think it's only been in film festivals, and with the arrival of Carey Mulligan, and itself being a different tone than most film festival movies, I can see why it's highly rated.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Amnesiac (view post)
    Did you like it?
    It's alright. Good acting, and I dig the period it takes place in, but it's a pretty simple, eh story.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Great first act, mediocre second act, terrible third act.

Molina's fantastic, and it's always nice to see Olivia Williams, even if I already have a weekly fix of her.
    Movie Theater Diary

Indeed. Keith Uhlich's brief review sums up my thoughts to a tee.

Molina's fantastic, and it's always nice to see Olivia Williams, even if I already have a weekly fix of her.
    Essentially this is the perfect capsule review if no word about Mulligan is included.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Hmmm. Sounds like a Netflix to me. I will see it, though.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Saw this again against my will tonight, and its flaws are more glaring the second time around once it's easier to see past the charm of Carey Mulligan & co. Thanks, Nick Hornby & Lynn Barber; for the reminder that there's absolutely no substitute for formal education, and that young girls shouldn't trust older dudes, no matter how nice they seem at first.

needs therapy, maybe. NickGlass's Avatar
    Saw this again against my will tonight, and its flaws are more glaring the second time around once it's easier to see past the charm of Carey Mulligan & co. Thanks, Nick Hornby & Lynn Barber; for the reminder that there's absolutely no substitute for formal education, and that young girls shouldn't trust older dudes, no matter how nice they seem at first.
    I thought the flaws were quite apparent the first time around--and I still cannot even begin to justify the film's conclusion.

I understand that the characters are driven by their naivete, but did they need they be so completely, implausibly ignorant. Everything about the narrative is so convenient, it's difficult to see who's learning a lesson here. When the film ultimately slaps you in the face with forced "new learned philosophies," it directly contradicts what its been blowing so much hot air over, mostly in highly orchestrated SPEECHES. The composers must be disappointed that their maudlin music was for naught. Whereas Jenny was meant to evolve from jejune to highly-aware by the end, the film itself goes in the opposite direction.

Yes, when the dialogue isn't on-the-nose, the acting can be delightful. The charming little details the actors infuse their thinly sketched characters with, however, are significantly overshadowed by the triteness that surrounds them. Hornby and Sherfig should be taught that a bit of patience and complexity would have let the film breathe, at least.

I don't even mean to play with words, but it's shocking how much I wanted to play father and tell the film "you're pretty and clever, so why are you wasting your life on such typical tropes?"

Molina plays the blowhard father well, to the highest capacity that one dimension will allow him. I adore Olivia Williams but she is, undoubtedly, given the most thankless role in the film.

Whatever. I can't wait for Thanksgiving, when my aunts and uncles praise this and I have to respond with "Yes, I saw it, and no, I did not like. Let's move on with the turkey and cranberry sauce, shall we?" I'm sure grandma will love it, too.
    I'm writing for Slant Magazine now, so check out my list of reviews.

Hopefully I'll have the energy to update my signature soon.

Wait, how long have you had that Sparrow avatar? I just noticed it.
    Movie Theater Diary

Everybody should know that anybody who actually says "I went to the University of Life" is not to be trusted.
    Movie Theater Diary

Everybody should know that anybody who actually says "I went to the University of Life" is not to be trusted.
    I learned that from Garth Ennis.

This is good shit.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast