Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: A Serious Man (Coens, 2009 (!!))

Yes, since I wrote that I've grown to appreciate the ending and how it purposefully plays out against our conception of how a movie like this should end - overcoming obstacles, character evolution, etc. I also like your comment about the dream sequences.

I want to watch it again.

Reason #1 that I'm pretty sure the ending is divine:

Then the LORD answered Job out of the whirlwind
    - Job 38:1

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    I didn't really notice before that Larry is teaching his students about the Uncertainty Principle and himself states it proves we never really know what is going on. Religion = physics, then?
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

pushing too many pencils Rowland's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    I didn't really notice before that Larry is teaching his students about the Uncertainty Principle and himself states it proves we never really know what is going on. Religion = physics, then?
    This is a great piece that goes into this very interpretation: http://wwwbillblog.blogspot.com/2009...ngers-man.html
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    The Long Riders (Hill) ***
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    Another 48 Hrs. (Hill) ***
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Besson) ***
    /Unknown/ (Collet-Serra) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

Incredible movie. I, too, thought the ending was purposefully ambiguous.

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    But math and science are not about the unknowable. Out of all of physics, it’s just this one thing (Heisenberg’s Uncertainty Principle/Shrodinger’s Cat) that works as an analogy for an unprovable God. It’s a great, elegant analogy, but I don't think it has anything to say about science, only faith.

Quote Quoting Rowland (view post)
    This is a great piece that goes into this very interpretation: http://wwwbillblog.blogspot.com/2009...ngers-man.html
    That review makes some good points, but what he says about the tooth story is really weird. It had nothing to do with math!

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Is the main underlining theme here, "why do bad things happen to good people?" (or serious people?) The movie is a parody of the question without an answer?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Is the main underlining theme here, "why do bad things happen to good people?" (or serious people?) The movie is a parody of the question without an answer?
    Basically. Except I wouldn't call it a parody. I think it's a genuine exploration.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    Basically. Except I wouldn't call it a parody. I think it's a genuine exploration.
    An exploration of a rhetorical question though?

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

How so?
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    The "bad things happen to good people" question isn't really rhetorical if one believes in a loving God.

I know that I wrote a review for this movie down in a notebook a couple years ago, and now I don't know where it is. So this is a short blurb I wrote about the film that's part of my Top 10 of 2009 list that happened to be the first blog post I ever made:

Further embracing their brand of dark comedy that has gotten only stronger and more harsh lately (see: Burn After Reading), the Brothers Coen craft a truly amazing movie. Hilarious, unforgiving, honest, never flinching, and not providing any easy answers (perhaps even no answers at all), this is one of their best movies to date. In fact it bests their previous two efforts, which is no easy feat, and proves that they are among the top tier directors working today. The ending is flat out gutsy, and the dream sequences are hands down the best thing about the entire movie.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    The "bad things happen to good people" question isn't really rhetorical if one believes in a loving God.
    I can buy that.

Quote Quoting Cherish (view post)
    But math and science are not about the unknowable. Out of all of physics, it’s just this one thing (Heisenberg’s Uncertainty Principle/Shrodinger’s Cat) that works as an analogy for an unprovable God. It’s a great, elegant analogy, but I don't think it has anything to say about science, only faith.
    I do think the film is saying something about science and faith. It's attempting to state, roughly, something about approaching the limits of human knowledge or understanding very generally.

Quote Quoting Cherish (view post)
    That review makes some good points, but what he says about the tooth story is really weird. It had nothing to do with math!
    The point of story is that it's anti-climatic. You think throughout all of it you're going to arrive at some epiphany, and it seems as though we get quite close to some kind of meaningful conclusion, but we never quite get there. We come up short.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    The film seriously questions that assumption, though. Believers do no better in this film.

Quote Quoting Rowland (view post)
    This also speaks to Socrates' Problem of Recognizing Instances and Meno's Paradox.
    Last 5 Viewed
    Riddick (David Twohy | 2013 | USA/UK)
    Night Across the Street (Raoul Ruiz | 2012 | Chile/France)*
    Pain & Gain (Michael Bay | 2013 | USA)*
    You're Next (Adam Wingard | 2011 | USA)
    Little Odessa (James Gray | 1994 | USA)*

*recommended *highly recommended

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

twitter | next projection | criticker | frames within frames

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678