Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Revisiting Match Cut Directors Consensus - Alfred Hitchcock

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    Hmm. That's the way I remembered it, so I just pulled it up on Netflix instant watch, and it's pretty heavily implied. She says, "I don't want to go to jail. I'd rather stay with you."

What she didn't say is, "So long as I've decided to stop being a victim, I'm going to kick your manipulative ass to the curb right now."

Unless, of course, Tippi Hendren did a competely wrong reading of the line (which I'm not putting past her) and she meant, "I don't want to go to jail. It might be worse even then staying with you."
    Well, given how consistently the film equates being married with being in jail, I don't see this as being a happily ever after situation.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    Strangers On a Train(1951)-10.0
    Rear Window(1954)-10.0
    The Trouble With Harry(1955)-8.0=My personal favorite
    To Catch a Thief(1955)-9.0
    Vertigo(1958)-10.0
    North By Northwest(1959)-10.0
    Huh? Your personal favorite only gets an eight? And a nine for To Catch a Thief? Are you high or just indiscriminate?
    Just because...

The (New) World

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    Huh? Your personal favorite only gets an eight? And a nine for To Catch a Thief? Are you high or just indiscriminate?
    I'd like to redirect you to his username.

The personal favorite thing is weird, but To Catch a Thief is a good film that happens to have the most beautiful actress ever, looking as good as she ever did. I can watch that film anytime.

Best Boy
    The Lady Vanishes - 9
    Rebecca - 9.5
    Suspicion - 6.5
    Shadow of a Doubt - 8
    Notorious - 7
    Rope - 8.5
    Strangers on a Train - 8
    Dial M for Murder - 7.5
    Rear Window - 10
    The Trouble with Harry - 7
    The Man Who Knew Too Much ('56) - 8
    The Wrong Man - 7.5
    Vertigo - 10
    North by Northwest - 10
    Psycho - 10
    The Birds - 8.5
    Marnie - 7
    Torn Curtain - 4
    Frenzy - 7
    Family Plot - 6

Quote Quoting soitgoes... (view post)
    The personal favorite thing is weird, but To Catch a Thief is a good film that happens to have the most beautiful actress ever, looking as good as she ever did. I can watch that film anytime.
    Rear Window is a better film with the same actress, who I wouldn't call the most beautiful ever (Ingrid Bergman?) but was definitely doable in her day.
    Just because...

The (New) World

Rear Window is a better film with the same actress, who I wouldn't call the most beautiful ever (Ingrid Bergman?) but was definitely doable in her day.
    I would call her the most beautiful ever, and I did. Definitely doable? A little more so than that. Also I'm sure trotchky will have an aneurysm over the wording of your sentence.

Rear Window is the better film. Madman and I both rated it higher than To Catch a Thief. I just said she looked her best in that role.

I would call her the most beautiful ever, and I did. Definitely doable? A little more so than that. Also I'm sure trotchky will have an aneurysm over the wording of your sentence.

Rear Window is the better film. Madman and I both rated it higher than To Catch a Thief. I just said she looked her best in that role.
    It sounds like you'd be willing to watch her in any film, no matter how inane (and To Catch a Thief is certainly inane).
    Just because...

The (New) World

It sounds like you'd be willing to watch her in any film, no matter how inane (and To Catch a Thief is certainly inane).
    I'll ignore the inane part, and just ask you where I ever implied I would watch anything she appeared in?

I'll ignore the inane part, and just ask you where I ever implied I would watch anything she appeared in?
    Your main reason for liking To Catch a Thief, which is lightweight and predictable, appears to be that Grace Kelly looked better in it than in any other picture in which she appeared.
    Just because...

The (New) World

Your main reason for liking To Catch a Thief, which is lightweight and predictable, appears to be that Grace Kelly looked better in it than in any other picture in which she appeared.
    My main reasoning for liking the film is that it is good (to me), she elevates it to something more, yes. This is everything I've said in my initial post on the matter. I've seen 6 out of 11 of her films, and could only possibly see myself watching one more. The 5 of 6 I've seen were all watched because of who directed her by the way (Ford, Zinnemann and Hitchcock). The 6th, she could hardly be seen as the main focus of the film, The Bridges at Toko-Ri, which also happens to be highly mediocre.

All of this leads me to ask, why in the world would it matter to you whether or not the reason why I like To Catch the Thief was because of Grace Kelly? You don't really seem to care about anyone's opinions but your own or those who stroke your ideals.

My main reasoning for liking the film is that it is good (to me), she elevates it to something more, yes.
    So she elevates the thin material by being hot?

The film strikes me as a safe commercial feature he made to keep himself bankable between more ambitious and eccentric projects (namely, The Trouble With Harry and The Wrong Man). His boredom with this shopworn material is almost palpable, as it is in his remake of The Man Who Knew Too Much a year later. What's good about it (to you)?

All of this leads me to ask, why in the world would it matter to you whether or not the reason why I like To Catch the Thief was because of Grace Kelly? You don't really seem to care about anyone's opinions but your own or those who stroke your ideals.
    It matters to me because it's a silly reason to get behind a frivolous little movie.
    Just because...

The (New) World

So she elevates the thin material by being hot?

The film strikes me as a safe commercial feature he made to keep himself bankable between more ambitious and eccentric projects (namely, The Trouble With Harry and The Wrong Man). His boredom with this shopworn material is almost palpable, as it is in his remake of The Man Who Knew Too Much a year later. What's good about it (to you)?

It matters to me because it's a silly reason to get behind a frivolous little movie.
    The movie is fun, and besides Kelly being in it, it is gorgeous to look at. It should be noted that I am a fan of Grant too (and yes I do realize that he isn't a daring actor by any means). It makes great use of its setting. It has some good writing. Is it or could it ever be as good as Rear Window? No, of course not. But it can achieve what it sets out to be, and I think it does a good job at that. It isn't as if I would give the film a 5, but Grace Kelly bumps it up 3 and a half points.

You do realize that your opinion on this film is in the minority, right?

Just because its my personal favorite, doesn't mean I'm not going to rate it higher and ignore any of its faults or lack of greatness. That would be quite silly. And I have no idea if you think a 9 for "Thief" is too high or low. I feel its spot on.

Also I wish I was high. And I have no idea what the hell indiscriminate even means. No I won't look it up :P

Plus I'm amazed no one has wondered about my low rating for Dial M For Murder. I actually wonder if the remake is any better, or possibly worse.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    Just because its my personal favorite, doesn't mean I'm not going to rate it higher and ignore any of its faults or lack of greatness. That would be quite silly.
    But if your ratings don't reflect your personal preference, then you're trying to estimate what some hypothetical other viewer might think of a certain film. It's like there's an objective number assigned to each film after it comes out and you're trying to guess the correct answer. Some might say that such a thing is quite silly.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    But if your ratings don't reflect your personal preference, then you're trying to estimate what some hypothetical other viewer might think of a certain film. It's like there's an objective number assigned to each film after it comes out and you're trying to guess the correct answer. Some might say that such a thing is quite silly.
    I'd be one of them. I can't recall how many times I've been sucked into the objective vs subjective argument.
    Last 5 Viewed
    Riddick (David Twohy | 2013 | USA/UK)
    Night Across the Street (Raoul Ruiz | 2012 | Chile/France)*
    Pain & Gain (Michael Bay | 2013 | USA)*
    You're Next (Adam Wingard | 2011 | USA)
    Little Odessa (James Gray | 1994 | USA)*

*recommended *highly recommended

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

twitter | next projection | criticker | frames within frames

The movie is fun, and besides Kelly being in it, it is gorgeous to look at. It should be noted that I am a fan of Grant too (and yes I do realize that he isn't a daring actor by any means). It makes great use of its setting. It has some good writing. Is it or could it ever be as good as Rear Window? No, of course not. But it can achieve what it sets out to be, and I think it does a good job at that. It isn't as if I would give the film a 5, but Grace Kelly bumps it up 3 and a half points.

You do realize that your opinion on this film is in the minority, right?
    I think your reasons for finding the film fun--pretty locations, pretty people, it achieves what it sets out to do (to be a light, disposable thriller)--are pretty superficial and dance around the central issue, which is that Hitchcock could direct this sort of thing in his sleep. It's technically well made, but that matters very little when the content is so anemic.

And so what if I'm in the minority? That's a pretty silly argument. A lot of people like Transformers, but that doesn't mean they're right.
    Just because...

The (New) World

I think your reasons for finding the film fun--pretty locations, pretty people, it achieves what it sets out to do (to be a light, disposable thriller)--are pretty superficial and dance around the central issue, which is that Hitchcock could direct this sort of thing in his sleep. It's technically well made, but that matters very little when the content is so anemic.

And so what if I'm in the minority? That's a pretty silly argument. A lot of people like Transformers, but that doesn't mean they're right.
    Okay.

I thought I'd expand on my one word dismissive comment.

You are the king of silly arguments. This whole thing is the epitome of a silly argument. I have stated I like a film. I have given you reasons for liking the film. If it's superficial or silly, who the fuck cares? Apparently I'm not the only one who enjoys the film. If you still don't get it then here you go baby doll: I only like To Catch a Thief because Grace Kelly is so hot in it. I watch it every other week jerking off to her beauty. It is pretty much the best thing Hitchcock ever made, and ranks in my Top 10 films of all-time. Hitchcock's career pretty much crashed after Kelly married Prince Rainier. Wrap your mind around that or not. I can give two shits.

This thread. This thread brings us love. :lol:
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Quote Quoting dreamdead (view post)
    This thread. This thread brings us love. :lol:

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    Yeah, I'll say it's incredibly silly.

The 39 Steps - 8.5
    Shadow of a Doubt - 9.5
    Spellbound - 8.5
    Notorious - 8
    Rope - 8.5
    Strangers on a Train - 8
    Rear Window - 10
    To Catch a Thief - 7.5
    Vertigo - 10
    North by Northwest - 10
    Psycho - 10
    The Birds - 9.5
    Marnie - 7

The next one of these revisited consensus threads will occur sometime in a few weeks. I'll be out of town next week and so I wouldn't be able to compile results easily.

That said, if anyone sees more Hitchcock than they listed, feel free to bump this thread and I'll go back and recalculate the results to adjust for that change.

Results:
    Rear Window 9.4428 (35)
    Notorious – 9.0468 (32)
    Psycho – 8.9571 (35)
    Vertigo – 8.8857 (35)
    Shadow of a Doubt – 8.6667 (27)
    Strangers on a Train - 8.2343 (32)
    Rebecca 8.1818 (22)
    North by Northwest – 8.1470 (34)
    The Lady Vanishes – 8 (21)
    The Wrong Man – 7.9285 (21)
    The 39 Steps - 7.84 (25)
    Rope – 7.7742 (31)
    Lifeboat – 7.7352 (17)
    The Lodger – 7.5 (10)
    The Birds – 7.4852 (34)
    Frenzy - 7.4736 (19)
    Foreign Correspondent – 7.45 (10)
    Young and Innocent – 7.4285 (7)
    Stage Fright – 7.4167 (6)
    The Man Who Knew Too Much (1934) – 7.3181 (11)
    I Confess – 7.1818 (11)
    Sabotage – 7.1667 (9)
    Dial M for Murder – 7.1590 (22)
    The Trouble with Harry – 7.1578 (19)
    To Catch a Thief – 7.15 (20)
    Marnie – 7.1389 (18)
    Blackmail – 7 (12)
    Spellbound - 6.7058 (17)
    The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956)- 6.4047 (21)
    Family Plot – 6.2083 (12)
    Saboteur – 6 (16)
    Rich and Strange – 6 (7)
    Suspicion – 5.9647 (17)
    The Paradine Case – 5.5833 (6)
    Topaz – 5.4285 – (7)
    Torn Curtain – 5.25 (8)
    Murder – 5 (5)
    Mr. and Mrs. Smith – 4.5 (7)

Did not Qualify:
    Secret Agent – 7.75 (2)
    Under Capricorn – 7.25 (2)