Thread: The Collector

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar

The Collector

From the writers of Saw IV, V and VI...

and

the writers of Feast I, II and III...

comes a pretty cool trailer about a guy who breaks into a house to steal some stuff, but someone worse got there first...

Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

nightmare investigator monolith94's Avatar
    Fantastic idea for a movie, and a great poster, but the trailer was... just alright. Chalk this up as a "maybe."
    "Modern weapons can defend freedom, civilization, and life only by annihilating them. Security in military language means the ability to do away with the Earth."
    -Ivan Illich, Deschooling Society

Aint it Cool News "Loves THE COLLECTOR"

When all is said and done, THE COLLECTOR is a taut, tightly constructed thriller that slowly morphs into a brutal, scary horror film that had my wife yelling at the screen and did a great job of getting me to cover my mouth when it properly crossed the line. Loads of fun and much smarter than we’ve come to expect from the genre, this is exactly the kind of film horror fans will delight in discovering.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

*sigh* apparently this movie was almost a prequel to saw... there goes my hope and expectations...

Red Band Trailer. NSFW..> Titties in the first 5 seconds

"Fun" and "Badass", two words I love hearing in reviews.

Could this be a sleeper? Horror fans unite!

Looks and sounds baaaaad. I will be shocked if it turns out to be worthwhile.
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    "Fun" and "Badass", two words I love hearing in reviews.
    Funny, usually when I see those words standing out in reviews, it's because the reviewer likes the movie but can't really find anything good to say about it.

"Uh, it's badass. See it."
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Funny, usually when I see those words standing out in reviews, it's because the reviewer likes the movie but can't really find anything good to say about it.

"Uh, it's badass. See it."
    Or they're not really journalists and just a bunch of dorks writing on a site that got popular by accident?

CHUD has a hilarious review. Movie sounds like ten kinds of suck.

http://chud.com/articles/articles/20...TOR/Page1.html

A sample:

The gimmick is that The Collector, a serial killer who collects absolutely ZERO things during the course of this film, likes to booby trap the houses he commits his hateful stabs in. As a result, the house has wire and mesh and bear traps and nails and knives and acid and other bullshit scattered around to make life difficult for people (and cats, especially cats). Thing is: he's bound and gagged the residents of the house already! Who the fuck is he trying to trap? Thieves that may be patrolling the house? Carol Anne? I think The Collector was snubbed at the Science Fair and is forever trying to make up for it.
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

that's awesome. hahaha

This is one of those movies where the logic inside the film needs to be ignored for you to enjoy it. Like Snowpiercer. The movie is called the collector, but he collects absolutely nothing as the snip above says. The traps laid across the house appear to be crazy elaborate for what the Collector is trying to accomplish. So who is he trying to prepare for? If he only collects the people he wants, and kills the rest, why are all the traps fatal? Regardless, we only really care about the cat burglar and his experience throughout the house which is what makes the movie so effective. He shows up to steal something and completely unannounced someone else shows up to "collect" the people who lived here. What I liked: The bear trap scene was fantastically gory. As was the scissor scene. There was also a trick used through the movie where some of scenes involving people screaming were substituted by rock music screams; clever. What I didn't like: The torture scene; it's pure unnecessary and gratuitous gore for the sake of shock value. We learn nothing of what is motivating The Collector other than bad words appear to annoy him. The Collector is a gut wrenching experience that is a much better than the Saw franchise.

The Collection: The progression of sequels is always: Bigger/More right? We are 10 minutes in and we already have a crazy massacre scene that rivals something like the Resident Evil hallway scene X 100. Or the Ghost Ship deck scene x 200. The vibe of this movie is much different than it's predecessor. It seems the director, Marcus Dunstan (who also directed the first), doesn't have time for the slow artistic build he did so well in the first movie. This is the Saw 2 of the Saw franchise. Or the Aliens in the Alien franchise (although that would suggest the sequel is better). Now we are trying to fight the Collector on his turf, in his house, with a group of people who are willing to die for a girl who was taken by the Collector. In one extraordinary scene the Collector confronts three of the mercenaries; killing one, incapacitating the other and quickly escaping to leave the third in a delirious state questioning what just happened; This is the Collector is playing with them. The gratuitous gore is back along with the protagonist of the first movie. And apparently he is still the only one who can see the traps before they actually happen. There is one particular arm breaking scene that is hard to watch. Still, shock value and all, I feel these two movies are unique enough that they are some of the better slasher movies in a long, long time. Bag CGI blood is bad.

I watched that opening scene in The Collection when it landed on Netflix. That's as far as I got. It was just too dopey to continue. I'm not a huge fan of the Saw movies, but I do find it a little difficult to believe that either of the Collector movies is better. Not that I'm willing to watch them to find out.

Quote Quoting Spun Lepton (view post)
    I watched that opening scene in The Collection when it landed on Netflix. That's as far as I got. It was just too dopey to continue. I'm not a huge fan of the Saw movies, but I do find it a little difficult to believe that either of the Collector movies is better. Not that I'm willing to watch them to find out.
    They're way better than Saw.

nice!

I'm there.

I never saw any of these movies. I did like Saw a lot, which I reviewed on my old blog that Duke posted on sometimes.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    I never saw any of these movies. I did like Saw a lot, which I reviewed on my old blog that Duke posted on sometimes.
    I like these better than any Saw movie.