Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 22 of the Greatest Examples of Pop Music Ever

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Daniel Davis (view post)
    I think Hello Nasty is their masterpiece, and one of hip hop's crowning achievements.
    Based on my limited experience with that album when it was initially released, I have to say, you're nuts. I'm still in awe of how craptacular Hello Nasty was. I haven't listened to it since the first year it came out, and I don't plan to listen to it anytime soon, but boy was it bad.

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    I don't mean to sound too fanboy-ish, but is that really even possible? The only defense for this is the intentional eschewing of obvious selections.
    It's completely possible. Would you like me to make a follow up list to prove it?

Quote Quoting Daniel Davis (view post)
    I think Hello Nasty is their masterpiece, and one of hip hop's crowning achievements.
    I think Paul's Boutique, Ill Communication, and Hello Nasty are all equally great. It just depends on my mood as to which one I listen to.

#16 - T. Rex - Get it On (Bang a Gong)

Speaking of songs based on two notes...

Ummm... I'm not sure I have much to say about this one. The chorus is elating (I love choral stuff like that). Very simple, very catchy... T. Rex's popularity is pretty much a testament to not really needing to know how to play complex music in order to play interesting music.

I slightly prefer "Children of the Revolution," "Jeepster," and "20th Century Boy," but it's hard to argue against the Bolan's brand of trippy, cosmic blues. And good other picks so far...

[
    ]
    Twitter

Next Projection Top 10s (update - Top 10 Action Sequences 1/29)
    Yearly Top 11s

Quote Quoting Eleven (view post)
    I slightly prefer "Children of the Revolution," "Jeepster," and "20th Century Boy," but it's hard to argue against the Bolan's brand of trippy, cosmic blues. And good other picks so far...

[
    ]
    Well, like I said, this is a list for songs that we should all be hopefully familiar with, and I think this is the only really popular T. Rex song.

Quote Quoting iosos (view post)
    Well, like I said, this is a list for songs that we should all be hopefully familiar with, and I think this is the only really popular T. Rex song.
    Fair enough. youTube only has a clip of it, but there's a cool video on, I want to say a German or Swedish Top of the Pops-ish show, where the band lip-synchs the song with Elton John on piano.
    Twitter

Next Projection Top 10s (update - Top 10 Action Sequences 1/29)
    Yearly Top 11s

Quote Quoting iosos (view post)
    Well, it was either this or Hot Love, right?

Either wya,

Oh yeah - T. Rex.

Futuristic Dragon is where it's at.

America rules
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    Based on my limited experience with that album when it was initially released, I have to say, you're nuts. I'm still in awe of how craptacular Hello Nasty was. I haven't listened to it since the first year it came out, and I don't plan to listen to it anytime soon, but boy was it bad.
    :shrug:

Not everyone can see the greatness in Hello Nasty.

I firmly believe that Hello Nasty will be an album that in 20 years will be looked back upon for being totally ahead of its time. I still think it sounds like it is from the future. The songs are eclectic, it is one of the best produced hip hop albums ever recorded, and the entire thing just screams with creativity.

#15 - Pet Shop Boys - Always On My Mind

From a movie, or rather, a glorified music video

That link doesn't quite capture the rhapsodic quality of the song, but does effectively convey the melancholy of the lyrics through its protracted lingerings on Neil Tennant's face. There are many many Pet Shop Boys songs that I love love love, but this one is probably the greatest because of its sheer exuberance. And improving on Elvis while not stripping away his forlorn influence is not an easy task.

Speaking of Pet Shop Boys and covers, it just so happens that serendipity has provided Match Cut a relevant something in a similar nature.

"Domino Dancing" > all

Yeah, this would be the first entry that I flat-out can't stand.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    Yeah, this would be the first entry that I flat-out can't stand.

Awesome. While not the PSB's song I would have chosen (I think just about anything off of Behavior is better), it is still good to see these amazing artists on the list. One of the most consistent pop bands around.

Major points for including the PSB on here. They're my fave pop band ever, and... shit, I'll come out and say it. The Pet Shop Boys are my favorite band ever. I had the pleasure of seeing them live earlier this year and it absolutely blew my mind.

That being said, I would tend to put Opportunities on here ahead of their cover of Always On My Mind, for its perfect capture of the essence of the money-infatuated attitude of the Reagan middle 80s.

Hell, as far as great PSB covers go, I would put their cover of U2's Where The Streets Have No Name (that transitions perfectly in and out of I Can't Take My Eyes Of of You) as their best.

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    Hell, as far as great PSB covers go, I would put their cover of U2's Where The Streets Have No Name (that transitions perfectly in and out of I Can't Take My Eyes Of of You) as their best.
    This is one of my favorite covers. An awesome song covered by an awesome band.

#14 - Tom Jones - It's Not Unusual

Sadly, the youtube clip with the best-sounding version of the song is this one, which is a compilation of clips of Carlton dancing on Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. Sigh.

Including this song (and another notable one further down the list) opens up a huge bag of "shoulda"s, as it's not really in the same vein or era or style as the rest of the list. But this song is too irresistible to resist. That's right. Tom Jones belts it like it is, people. That very last bit where he "Whoa-WHOAAA-HO-HO-HO!!"s is enough to make a grown man weep with the ecstasy of truth. Such a great song.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    I would've gone with with "She's a Lady", but really, you can't lose with either one.

Great pick. Tom Jones is the only man alive who coulda pulled off "What's New Pussycat".

#13 - Chic - Everybody Dance

Extended, low quality version

I'd recommend just downloading the single in your iTunes or comparable source for high-quality .mp3s, because there's nothing like Chic in their full stereo remastered glory. At the height of disco, I'd probably suggest that only Harry Wayne Casey and his Sunshine Band gave Chic a run for their money, quality-wise. This song opens with a killer bass riff and segues into a rather weighty and strikingly minor series of keyboard chords countered by the ever-awesome disco strings and always inspired handclap tracks. Then, when Norma Wright starts singing and the guitar starts wakka-wakka-ing, I'm in disco heaven. "Music never lets you down/Puts a smile on your face/Anytime, anyplace/Dancing helps relieve the pain/Soothes your mind, makes you happy again" Truer words were never disco'd to.

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    For me, this list has gone downhill extremely fast. I can't stand PSB or Tom Jones.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    For me, this list has gone downhill extremely fast. I can't stand PSB or Tom Jones.
    You've never asked for negative rep so intensely than you have just now.

But I am a loving man. Perhaps you will like my next selection more.

This list needs some Oasis. Yeah, I said it.

And I feel like I'm in a timezone that's stuck in the late 70s. It's creepy.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Quote Quoting dreamdead (view post)
    This list needs some Oasis. Yeah, I said it.

And I feel like I'm in a timezone that's stuck in the late 70s. It's creepy.
    If it's "Wonderwall", I'd be OK with it. Somehow I don't see that happening though.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast