Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 22 of the Greatest Examples of Pop Music Ever

22 of the Greatest Examples of Pop Music Ever

I'm currently movieless (my little bro is in the process of shipping all my DVDs to me), so for the last little bit, I've been listening to a lot of pop and going "Hmmm..." So I'll crank through this list pretty quickly, I think, while I'm waiting for my movies (and hopefully get back on my long dormant Herzog project!).

I dig pop. I dig stuff that makes you dance. Catchy beats, simple harmonies, easily understood rhymes. I'm a populist at heart, despite my occasional attempts at snootiness, so I like music that everyone can groove with. While I love a good experimental chord progression and a pounding 8 minute long drum solo and lyrics about cosmic, mystic, or otherwise enchanting ethereal forces, mostly I love to get down and funky with something for everyone. This list is populated with songs that I hope all are familiar with.

You'll definitely notice trends. My weaknesses will show. You'll notice what eras and "scenes" I jive best with. These are the first 22 songs I was able to think of, so this feature is by no means definitive. They are ranked in rough preference.

To that end, I shall begin the list. When I can, I will post album art and a link to something featuring the song so you can hear it.

I have two honorable mentions, coming up.

HONORABLE MENTION 1

Yes - Owner of a Lonely Heart

The weird double-take video.

An obvious choice, given my love for Yes's more progressive work, I, unlike many Yes purists, accept and actually quite like Trevor Rabin's contribution to the band in the 80s. Lots of heavy guitar riffs, radio friendly durations, and lyrics eschewing their patented pretentiousness. 90125 is as close to arena-rock as Yes ever got (the instrumental "Cinema" is a miracle of echoing grandiosity), and "Owner of a Lonely Heart" is a great example of this creative period. The extremely simple and infinitely recognizable riff is toyed with by the synths and drums between phrases, Anderson's voice has rarely wailed so magnificently. And while the chorus may feel a little lacking, its that jolt of tight funky guitar that hops in directly afterward the second round and accompanies Anderson as he sings "After my own indecision/They confused me so/My love said 'Never question your will at all'/In the end you've gotta go/Look before you leap/And don't hesitate at all" that really sells me on this one.

HONORABLE MENTION 2

ABBA - Dancing Queen

Witness the sexy

This one needs very little defense. If I had my druthers, this would've made the top 22. Alas, where'd I put those darn druthers? This song proves nothing if not that Swedes are awesome and sexy and write great tunes. The beat is so killer! This song makes me want to hug people and I love songs that make me want to hug people.

Quote Quoting iosos (view post)
    Honarable Mention 2

ABBA - Dancing Queen

Wait a second. You're making a list of the best pop songs and this is only an honorable mention? Are you mad?

This is easily top 5 material. ABBA's hit singles are amazing.

Nice thread!

Quote Quoting Daniel Davis (view post)
    Wait a second. You're making a list of the best pop songs and this is only an honorable mention? Are you mad?
    You wanna know the nasty, vile truth?
    [
    ]

Really, the 24 featured songs here are equal in terms of my appreciation of them. I've just about had it with ranking minutia. I'm not in that kind of lifestyle at the moment. Just give me a handful of things that are awesome and I'll call it good.

More to come tomorrow.

HONORABLE MENTION 2

ABBA - Dancing Queen
    When I went to the Flaming Lips concert they played this right before they went on stage, it was awesome. The whole crowd was singing.

Two for two so far.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

I like "Waterloo" better. I'm so gay.

"Owner of a Lonely Heart" is okay, but come on, 90125 is a terrible album. It's kinda depressing that it came from the same band capable of Close to the Edge and The Yes Album.

No complaints about "Dancing Queen", except that for some odd reason it always makes me sad.

I think "Gimme, Gimme, Gimme (A Man After Midnight)" might be my favorite ABBA tune. Make of that what you will.

Quote Quoting Derek (view post)
    No complaints about "Dancing Queen", except that for some odd reason it always makes me sad.
    After you watch Meriel's Wedding, ABBA's songs kind of take on a different tone.

You wanna know the nasty, vile truth?
    [
    ]
    Okay - I forgive you!

Quote Quoting Derek (view post)
    "Owner of a Lonely Heart" is okay, but come on, 90125 is a terrible album. It's kinda depressing that it came from the same band capable of Close to the Edge and The Yes Album.
    I disagree. I've seen this opinion voiced so many times (OMG, crappy 80s synth pop coming from the band of beautiful progressive inner-journeys!) that sometimes I start thinking something must be wrong with me. But then I listen to it and I realize that no. It's not me. It's you. The music is different, certainly, but taken on its own, it's totally solid. A little corny, maybe, but definitely interesting.

Looking forward to this.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

#22 - Beck - Where It's At

Bottles and cans and clap your hands

The perfect combination of Beck's funk, laid back rapping, free association lyrics, and experimental techniquery. Like many of Beck's songs, I don't know what this song's about beyond Beck's usual attempts to crystallize music into pure, usually dance-worthy, form. I love the opening keyboard riffs, but I love it more when the hip-hop drums and gospel organ kick in, but I love it even more when Beck starts singing about that "Destination a little up the road from the habitations and the towns we know" where one can witness the jigsaw jazz and get fresh flow. Fun stuff, Beck.

Quote Quoting Antoine (view post)
    I like "Waterloo" better. I'm so gay.
    You say this like it's a bad thing. Own it.

Quote Quoting Horbgorbler (view post)
    I think "Gimme, Gimme, Gimme (A Man After Midnight)" might be my favorite ABBA tune. Make of that what you will.
    It's my favorite too.
    Memories of the Future

"Criticism can be monumentally creative, of course, at times highly artistic, highly personal. But it rarely relates to the work of art being assessed. It is an expression of the critic's own subjectivity." -Joyce Carol Oates, Journals

I disagree. I've seen this opinion voiced so many times (OMG, crappy 80s synth pop coming from the band of beautiful progressive inner-journeys!) that sometimes I start thinking something must be wrong with me. But then I listen to it and I realize that no. It's not me. It's you. The music is different, certainly, but taken on its own, it's totally solid. A little corny, maybe, but definitely interesting.
    Does thoroughly mediocre 80s synth pop fit you any better? But trust me, this time it is you. It's more than a little corny, it's embarrassingly corny, yet bland and forgettable.

Great pick with "Where It's At" though!

Beyond my confusion over a Top 22 list starting with #23 (Schumacher reference?), I'm on board for this list. Also on board with the quality of Beck's song.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Quote Quoting dreamdead (view post)
    Beyond my confusion over a Top 22 list starting with #23 ...
    :nervous chuckle:

Hey man,

Have you ever listened to Too Much Joy, specifically the song "Crush Story," from the Cereal Killers album?

Hmm, I think "The New Pollution" is probably the best from Odelay, and one of the best things to play on commercial radio in the 90's.

Quote Quoting Daniel Davis (view post)
    Hey man,

Have you ever listened to Too Much Joy, specifically the song "Crush Story," from the Cereal Killers album?
    Nope. Not ringing a bell. I'll keep an ear out.

Quote Quoting Boner M (view post)
    Hmm, I think "The New Pollution" is probably the best from Odelay, and one of the best things to play on commercial radio in the 90's.
    It's awesome. But I find it inferior to Where It's At, as it's a little too drony at times. But I love that opening bit.

#21 - Fleetwood Mac - Say You Love Me

Youtube video!

Actually, this entry is more or less representative of this song, You Make Loving Fun, and Go Your Own Way. All demonstrate Fleetwood Mac's uncanny technical proficiency. Perfect mixes, straightforward production, functionality. These three songs deliver on their respective promises with stellar instrumentations and dulcet vocals, but this song in particular is the most pleasant, maybe the most optimistic in a bundle of optimistic songs. How can you hate Fleetwood? "You move me until the sun comes up/And you say that you love me." Gives me warm fuzzies.

Edited: for double instance of a cool word

#20 - Pilot - Magic

Can you feel the magic?

Magic: this delicious song starts off with a jaunty guitar solo accompanied by overdriven wah-wah scrumptiousness, then implodes into a beautiful airy piano accompaniment to a voice that believes, transparently, with all his heart, that what he's singing about is magic. This tension-implosion-flight structure is key to this song, which repeats it over and over, and somehow it works every time. So catchy, so bouncy. It's even kind enough to throw in some rosy "la la la"-ing for no extra cost. Nothing imported, this song is pure, delirious 70s kitsch and that's precisely why I love it.

Two more winners. Particularly the Fleetwood Mac. I would probably give the edge to "Go Your Own Way", but this is definitely a goodie. I'm also a big "Landslide" fan.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast