Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Favorite Songs of the 00s

My Favorite Songs of the 00s

The end of the decade is coming up and with the prospect of year-end plus decade-end lists, I wanted to get at least one of them started early. It was brutal narrowing this down to 50 songs (plus 15 honorable mentions ) simply because my favorite songs at any given time are so dependent on my mood and everything going on in my life at the time. The top 50 will be ordered almost entirely because countdowns are more fun to do than alphabetical lists, but keep in mind that the difference in my love for any one track and another is relatively minuscule. I often went with more personal picks from albums I love (ie, songs I respond to emotionally) even when I'm sure others will scratch their heads wondering why I didn't pick an obviously more skillfully made, complex song. That said, I didn't shy away from obvious picks (see Band of Horses or Wilco) in favor of a less-celebrated song when those are the ones that really get to me.

I will try to write at least a brief sentence or two for all 50 and of course expand/respond to any comments made. At the end, I'll provide ZIP files with all 65 songs retagged. I'll kick things off with the honorable mentions and start the countdown when I get back later today or maybe wait until tomorrow since there's 15 up right off the bat. Enjoy!

Oh yeah, I also limited it to one track per artist.

HONORABLE MENTIONS

Andrew Bird – “A Nervous Tick Motion of the Head to the Left

Band of Horses – “The Funeral

Battles– “Atlas

Built to Spill – “Goin' Against Your Mind

Danielson – “Did I Step On Your Trumpet?

Deerhunter – “Lake Somerset

Department of Eagles – “Teenagers

Espers – “Dead Queen

Herbert – “Harmonise

Invincible – “Shapeshifters

Lali Puna – “Faking the Books

M83 - "Unrecorded"

Nathan Fake – “Grandfathered

Vapnet – “Färjemansleden

Wilco – “I Am Trying To Break Your Heart

Sweet.

I haven't heard any of these songs, so I'm plunging right in.

Love that Vapnet song. The Espers song has a Stairway to Heaven vibe to it, it seems..

a few of those would definitely be on my list (if i had one)

i am trying to break your heart and nervous tic motion of the head to the left are two of my favorites. i like the battles and built to spill songs quite a bit too, i will listen to the rest.

I'm gonna wait for the combined file. So make this list snappy, I'm an impatient sod.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting Russ (view post)
    Love that Vapnet song. The Espers song has a Stairway to Heaven vibe to it, it seems..
    Vapnet is the musical equivalent of washing down cotton candy with a Pixie stick, but I love them. They write consistently strong and catchy pop songs.

Heh, the opening riff is pretty similar to Stairway, but I've heard Zeppelin stole it from elsewhere as well. Espers is much darker and more haunting though.

Quote Quoting Acapelli (view post)
    a few of those would definitely be on my list (if i had one)
    Which ones out of curiosity?

50. Ned Collette - "Race"

Album: Future Suture (2007)

Starts off as a deceptively simple acoustic song that threatens to veer into bland coffee shop singer/songwriter territory before throwing in some bass, growing into a completely different beast at about 2:30 and rocking out for a bit. The bass in this stretch is so freaking sweet, among my favorite of the songs in this list.

Unfortunately, most of Future Suture is nowhere near as good as this track, although "Lost and Found" is incredible and every song is immaculately produced, so it sounds like a million bucks.

49. Modest Mouse - "3rd Planet"

Album: The Moon & Antarctica (2000)

While I prefer the raw sound of Lonesome Crowded West, The Moon & Antarctica isn't too far behind. The sound is cleaner and lacks the immediacy of their prior record, but Isaac Brock's song-writing genius was still at his peak and "3rd Planet" is a perfect example of his unique blend of beautiful melodies and rough-edged guitars and vocal delivery. It's a modest song (haha), but it gets me every time - a great opener for a great album.

48. Peter Bjorn & John - "Paris 2004"

Album: Writer's Block (2006)

I normally have little patience with twee pop, but somehow Writer's Block got its hooks in me and never let go. I realize how sappy and sentimental "Paris 2004" is, but I refuse to ignore the power it has over me. There is beauty in its simple melody and heart-on-sleeve emotional directness that I just can't fight. "Young Folks" and "Amsterdam" may be better songs, but this is the one that gives me goose bumps.

47. Busdriver - "Less Yes's, More No's"

Album: Roadkillovercoat (2006)

I've gone on record several times with my general indifference to lyrics, at least in relation to the importance of pretty much everything else in music, but Busdriver's done some pretty damn good work here. I mean, you rhyme Noam Chomsky with Neo-con Nazis and you've got my attention. The beats are heavy, but the droning synth gives the song a really offbeat, original feel. And you either love his rapid fire delivery or you don't. If Busdriver's not included in the "Things White People Like" list, he probably should be. This is hip-hop for really white people.

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    Love Peter Bjorn & John and that song. Though I've never thought of them as 'twee,' just 'pop.'
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Quote Quoting Derek (view post)
    Which ones out of curiosity?
    These

Andrew Bird – “A Nervous Tick Motion of the Head to the Left

Battles– “Atlas

Danielson – “Did I Step On Your Trumpet?

as well as the modest mouse track. i'm sure there'll be more on the list as you proceed

Quote Quoting Milky Joe (view post)
    Love Peter Bjorn & John and that song. Though I've never thought of them as 'twee,' just 'pop.'
    yeah, although they do follow that swedish sound that has been utilized by the likes of acid house kings, jens lekman, suburban kids with biblical names, etc

it's not that hard to categorize most swedish pop as twee however, since a lot of it is quite precious (i myself have no problem with this whatsoever, i'm "twee as fuck")

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Acapelli (view post)
    it's not that hard to categorize most swedish pop as twee however, since a lot of it is quite precious (i myself have no problem with this whatsoever, i'm "twee as fuck")
    that's quite true. I didn't actually realize they were swedish!
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

*cough* And speaking of twee, I will stand for no Sufjan-bashing in this thread, at least in regards to Illinois. Okay, at least for this song though...please?

46. Sufjan Stevens - "The Man of Metropolis Steals Our Hearts"

Album: Illinois (2005)

Four years later and Illinois is still as brilliant as ever to these ears. It's tough to pick a favorite song from so many great ones, "Man of Metropolis" tempers Sufjan's more precious crooning with a solid guitar riff and some beautiful choral vocals headed Annie Clark (aka St. Vincent). Like PB&J's Writer's Block, the song-writing on Illinois is impressive enough for me to remain indifferent to complaints of its overbearing cuteness.

hell yeah
    THERE IS A FUTURE IN HISTORY

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    I am in love with this idea that I'm going to try and make my list as soon as possible. One thing I love is that three of your albums so far will probably have songs on my list but none of them are the same songs.

45. The National - "Fake Empire"

Album: Boxer (2007)

There is a gentle nostalgia about this song with just the right touch of melancholy that makes its simplicity so moving. Matt Berninger is by no means a great singer, but his straight, almost monotonous voice takes on an expressive quality all its own when surrounded by The National's rich, candid music. Love it once the drums really kick in about halfway through.

Quote Quoting Thirdmango (view post)
    I am in love with this idea that I'm going to try and make my list as soon as possible. One thing I love is that three of your albums so far will probably have songs on my list but none of them are the same songs.
    Awesome, I'd love to see it!

M83 - "Unrecorded"

I like these quite a bit. Although I would have gone with M83's Lower Your Eyelids to Die With the Sun.

49. Modest Mouse - "3rd Planet"

Great tune.

Don't like Stevens, at all. I can't really stand his music, voice, or songs.

44. The Microphones - "Map"

Album: The Glow, Pt. 2 (2001)

Achingly personal, Phil Elverum's brand of lo-fi is full of emotion fighting its way through a sea of sound. There is a tug-of-war in "Map" between the noise and the melody, each threatening to overtake the other. Neither win, but the battle is a wonder to behold and there are several parts that make the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

43. Dan Deacon - "Snookered"

Album: Bromst (2009)

Dan Deacon's Spiderman of the Rings showed signs of genius, but was too often overbearing in its hyperactivity. With Bromst, Deacon allows his song-writing prowess to flourish, giving his songs room to breathe and grow. "Snookered" is Deacon at his best - slowly building into a powerful crescendo, but taking a strange, unexpected path to get there. The second half returns to the 8-bit inspired choral chipmunks that have driven some crazy, but that sound is restrained, a small part of a grander scheme at work.

That Dan Deacon song is cool. I haven't listened to much from him.

You a fan of Tim Exile? His newest album is easily my album of the year thus far, and it's one of the most creative, well written, and expertly produced albums I've heard in a very, very long time. His older stuff reminds me a lot of DD, but this newest album (Listening Tree) is quite a bit different.

Quote Quoting Daniel Davis (view post)
    That Dan Deacon song is cool. I haven't listened to much from him.

You a fan of Tim Exile? His newest album is easily my album of the year thus far, and it's one of the most creative, well written, and expertly produced albums I've heard in a very, very long time. His older stuff reminds me a lot of DD, but this newest album (Listening Tree) is quite a bit different.
    I feel you on Sufjan. He's an artist I keep expecting to return to and find that his flaws have finally turned me off to his music. Hasn't happened yet.

If you're looking to listen to Dan Deacon, stick with Bromst. There are certainly some tracks that could grate on you, but overall I love it and I think it flaunts his skills much better than his previous album which is very hit-or-miss.

I haven't heard Tim Exile, but I put him on my list when you first mentioned him and have since heard a couple other positive things about him. I will definitely be getting to his new album relatively soon. Any recommendation for an older album of his to check out?

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast