Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Zombieland

Does not read Sutter Cane The Mike's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    My favorite moment being when Abigail Breslin tries to explain Hannah Montana's two personalities to an impatient Woody Harrelson.
    This might have been my favorite bit too.
    The Mike

It's very very horrible, sir. It's one of those things we wish we could disinvent.

From Midnight, With Love - My Midnight Movie Blog of Justice!

Great fun.

The opening credits were amazing, and the extended slo-mos were pretty damn impressive.

I loved how the film kept coming back to Eisenberg's "rules" throughout the movie.

Everything was handled so blithely, even the uneven moments were hard to dislike.

As DAMU said, the cameo was just perfect and really put the film in a different mode entirely.

I'm glad you guys mentioned the Hannah Montana moment, because that stood out for me too.

The line delivery, in general, was spot on, especially Harrelson. I loved how, when they found the Hostess truck, he lamented aloud how he hated coconut, but added, almost as an apology: "Not the taste, mind you, but the consistency."

Really, really fun.

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    Though I will concede that "Albuquerque" may be one of the best names for a hero character, particularly played by Woody Harrelson.
    Oh, his name is different in the final product. Still a city, though (all the characters are known by the cities they're from/going to).

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    The film almost never steps wrong. It is very much dedicated to the character interactions and the terrific "rules." I will concede that the book "The Zombie Survival Guide" (an obvious inspiration here) being a big hit amongst my circle of friends certainly aided in my appreciation of this film. It never really tried to overplay any of the drama it occasionally interspersed and I actually found the moment where it reveals the truth about Harrelson's back story to be well handled. If there's a fault it is in the rather over-reliance on music cues and jump scares to generate the tension of the zombie attacks and the zombies themselves are not particularly interesting.

Oh and yeah, the cameo is pretty much the best thing ever.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    The cameo was great and the first ten minutes or so where entertaining but everything else was pretty mediocre.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    This film also furthers my opinion that the best zombie movies are movies that take the time to avoid the zombies and get into the characters. Shaun, Dawn, Night, and 28 Days Later are first and foremost movies about people, and, frequently, the best sequences are ones that avoid zombies altogether.

I wouldn't place this film on equal footing with them - my point is just that Zombieland has a real heart underneath all its guts.

Terrible dialogue aside, this was great fun.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Very fun indeed.

Is it just me or do you think Jesse Eisenberg was originally written with Michael Cera in mind?

The cameo was great, and I like the Emma Stone, even though she's not a great actress.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)

Is it just me or do you think Jesse Eisenberg was originally written with Michael Cera in mind?
    There's a difference?
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    What, you mean did his parents raise him to become Michael Cera?

The answer is yes.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

No. Eisenberg has been doing this longer than Cera (Roger Dodger anyone?) and though I'm a fan of Cera's, Eisenberg is more animated and to me all around more amusing.
    Recently Viewed:
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½

Films By Year

Does not read Sutter Cane The Mike's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    No. Eisenberg has been doing this longer than Cera (Roger Dodger anyone?) and though I'm a fan of Cera's, Eisenberg is more animated and to me all around more amusing.
    Right-o.
    The Mike

It's very very horrible, sir. It's one of those things we wish we could disinvent.

From Midnight, With Love - My Midnight Movie Blog of Justice!

How much gore is there? I have a friend asking me. He can handle everything up to internal organs, so if there are any "intestine-pulling" scenes he wants to know ahead of time.

Hopefully, I'm gonna catch this over the weekend, so I might be able to answer the question myself. Given how frequently I get to the theater these days, though ...
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

There's a brief intestine pulling. Just once, I believe.
    Movie Theater Diary

I mostly hated this. Terrible screenwriting that relied heavily on an unfunny and laaazy voiceover, unfunny and overcooked dialogue (I can just picture the screenwriters saying "What's a better way of saying taking a shit?" "Taking the Browns to the Superbowl!" "Oh yeah! Good one! Hi five dude!"), and flat, uninspired direction to prop up the bad screenplay. Eisenberg plays Eisenberg as usual, but with much worse writing/directing than The Squid and the Whale and Adventureland (two excellent movies BTW), his shtick feels forced and dull and I felt he easily could have been replaced by Michael Cera with about the same results.

There are, however, two scenes I liked and one is so great that it awakened me from my boredom and waiting for this thing to be over. That scene is indeed the one everyone is talking about, but I believe it has more to do with the awesomeness of the unnamed actor from the 80s than anything the filmmakers bring to that scene. The other scene is a series of jump-cuts of conversations about random topics like Abigail Breslin explaining Hannah Montana to Woody Harrelson. That scene made me laugh and at least demonstrated some inspired craft. The rest was pretty bad.

I made some comment in the "At the Movies" thread about AO Scott needing to come down from his ivory tower (re: his opinion of this movie) but I realize now he doesn't like it because it's a zombie comedy; he doesn't like it because it's a bad zombie comedy. It's neither funny nor scary. And I love Return of the Living Dead, Re-Animator, The Evil Dead Trilogy, Dead Alive, and Shaun of the Dead as much as the next guy. Sorry Scott. All is forgiven.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

I really liked the dialogue and the voice-over.

:: shrug ::

Don't know what else to say, really. Yeah, that one line you quoted is rather lame and writerly, but most of the dialogue isn't like that at all. His rules, and the film's frequent use of them, were pretty inspired I thought (and as I mentioned, certainly cribbed from the clever Zombie Survival Guide book). And the Twinkie motif, considering their reputation, was amusing as well.

And really, the whole Eisenberg = Cera thing is lame. So because some actor came along and created a similar persona, he should stop playing to what he's good at doing? Not to mention he's more neurotic and much more lively than Cera, and all around more enjoyable.

The part fit him well and he excelled in it. Same for Harrelson.
    Recently Viewed:
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½

Films By Year

I could tolerate most of the dialogue even though it was very terribly written, but the voiceover was just completely 100% shitty.

I think the director deserves a lot of credit for making it as fun as it is even with the crappy script.
    Movie Theater Diary

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I also enjoyed the voice over and thought this movie was pretty fun. I saw the BM scene from a mile away............

A couple of things bugged me. Wasn't it pretty obvious that turning on the lights and sounds would attract all the zombies? And why did they ever think to go on that ride?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I thought the product placement was worse than the dialogue (which I liked) and the voice-over (which I tolerated). I mean, hawk products if you have to, but Mountain Dew Red? Seriously?

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    I thought the product placement was worse than the dialogue (which I liked) and the voice-over (which I tolerated). I mean, hawk products if you have to, but Mountain Dew Red? Seriously?
    I didn't even notice. I just figured that is what they thought nerds drink.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I didn't even notice. I just figured that is what they thought nerds drink.
    Then they're posers. Wrong Mountain Dew flavor, man.

Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Wasn't it pretty obvious that turning on the lights and sounds would attract all the zombies?
    Yes.

And why did they ever think to go on that ride?
    Because they are dumb.

Alone again, naturally eternity's Avatar
    That was...okay.

A couple of things I thought about driving to work this morning.

Driving into LA, there should have been way more zombies looming around. Just like in The Walking Dead, there should have a been a fear to go anywhere near a city. They drove through LA way too easy.

And I wish they revealed more of the "rules". There were 32 of them? (33 was added in the movie) Why didn't we get to see more? Instead the first three were the only ones really repeated. They could have had fun with that.

needs therapy, maybe. NickGlass's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    I mostly hated this. Terrible screenwriting that relied heavily on an unfunny and laaazy voiceover, unfunny and overcooked dialogue (I can just picture the screenwriters saying "What's a better way of saying taking a shit?" "Taking the Browns to the Superbowl!" "Oh yeah! Good one! Hi five dude!"), and flat, uninspired direction to prop up the bad screenplay.
    Yes.

There are, however, two scenes I liked and one is so great that it awakened me from my boredom and waiting for this thing to be over. That scene is indeed the one everyone is talking about, but I believe it has more to do with the awesomeness of the unnamed actor from the 80s than anything the filmmakers bring to that scene. The other scene is a series of jump-cuts of conversations about random topics like Abigail Breslin explaining Hannah Montana to Woody Harrelson. That scene made me laugh and at least demonstrated some inspired craft. The rest was pretty bad.
    Yes. And everything that follows is so much worse than what came before.
    I'm writing for Slant Magazine now, so check out my list of reviews.

Hopefully I'll have the energy to update my signature soon.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast