Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: Toy Story 3 (Pixar, 2010)

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    That's what conjunctions are for.
    Technical correctness doesn't save you from clarity. You say TS3 is better than Cloudy because it's creepy, but I'm failing to see how creepiness in itself is a virtue. You then go on to say that TS3 is inventive, but offer no evidence to back that up. I put the two together because that appears to be the strongest argument, but apparently, that's not the one you're making. There's no reason to include them in the same sentence if they're not related to the same idea.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

Quote Quoting DavidSeven (view post)
    Technical correctness doesn't save you from clarity. You say TS3 is better than Cloudy because it's creepy, but I'm failing to see how creepiness in itself is a virtue. You then go on to say that TS3 is inventive, but offer no evidence to back that up. I put the two together because that appears to be the strongest argument, but apparently, that's not the one you're making.
    Creepy is better in this instance because it reflects the impending abandonment or dismemberment of the toys, and the baby doll is an arresting embodiment of these things, as well as being a deeply sad character. Cloudy has nothing that even approaches those depths. Both films are probably equally funny, so guess what, creepiness wins it!
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Creepy is better in this instance because it reflects the impending abandonment or dismemberment of the toys, and the baby doll is an arresting embodiment of these things, as well as being a deeply sad character. Cloudy has nothing that even approaches those depths. Both films are probably equally funny, so guess what, creepiness wins it!
    Fair enough.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

Creepy is better in this instance because it reflects the impending abandonment or dismemberment of the toys, and the baby doll is an arresting embodiment of these things, as well as being a deeply sad character.
    Hey now, his comparisons can often be quite nonsensical, and his constant need de maintenir les titres francais au lieu de les traduire can often be a bit eye-roll inducing, but that's no way to talk about one of our fellow posters.

Quote Quoting Spaceman Spiff (view post)
    Hey now, his comparisons can often be quite nonsensical, and his constant need de maintenir les titres francais au lieu de les traduire can often be a bit eye-roll inducing, but that's no way to talk about one of our fellow posters.

I wouldn't call him deeply sad. If anything, he is remarkably level-headed and content with himself in the face of often voracious opposition.

In fact, I can't imagine him having any emotion. He's a movie-viewing android developed in the labs of Hollywood to enable test audiences to be dispensed with.

But something went terribly, terribly wrong and he got loose, and now he has to roam the lands, watching movie after movie to unsuccessfully sate his neverending appetite for all things cinema. But his comparison console was never completed, and his cinematic reading circuit malfunctioned, and he now finds himself in conflict with hoards of human film-goers he can never understand, and never come to love. He is adrift. Alone.

But not sad.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

I wouldn't call him deeply sad. If anything, he is remarkably level-headed and content with himself in the face of often voracious opposition.

In fact, I can't imagine him having any emotion. He's a movie-viewing android developed in the labs of Hollywood to enable test audiences to be dispensed with.

But something went terribly, terribly wrong and he got loose, and now he has to roam the lands, watching movie after movie to unsuccessfully sate his neverending appetite for all things cinema. But his comparison console was never completed, and his cinematic reading circuit malfunctioned, and he now finds himself in conflict with hoards of human film-goers he can never understand, and never come to love. He is adrift. Alone.

But not sad.
    :lol:

This is the best thing to come from Toy Story 3's existence.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Easter Eggs

edit: wow was posted on the last page....
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    7 year bump!

Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819