Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Cop Out (Kevin Smith)

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    But it is. I can fit myself, with feet on the seat sideways, and still have room. If you're wider than that, sorry, fat.
    Dude, I'm a slim guy, but I'm 6'2", and anything other than first class generally sucks for the large-and-or-tall. I'm not talking about the morbidly obese. I'm talking about people outside the average. It sounds you're a contortionist in denial.

Quote Quoting BuffaloWilder (view post)
    Actually, I agree with this message, and I'm a little stout around the tum.
    What bothers me about messages like that is that most of the people who say/feel this way completely disregard the fact that in a lot of cases, the overeating (if there is any at all), is due to a psychological problem that can't simply be wished away by saying "put the fork down." If it was that simple, people like me wouldn't BE fat. It's not like we want to be, believe me.

I've tried that "put the fork down" thing...didn't really work. I can beat into my brain over and over again that I need to stop eating so much, but there's still times it happens. I feel like crap afterwards for doing it, which of course just means Im going to probably overeat during my next meal to drown my sorrows.

It's an addiction for some. I just wish people would stop treating fat people as if they're simply gluttonous.

One of these days, I'm gonna haul off and punch someone in the nose.

But it is. I can fit myself, with feet on the seat sideways, and still have room. If you're wider than that, sorry, fat.

No, it's body type.

I'm not fat, but having seen pictures of you I have a much wider body.

My friend Andrew is skinny as a twig, but he could never fit on a seat like that, because he's 6'6.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting Fezzik (view post)
    What bothers me about messages like that is that most of the people who say/feel this way completely disregard the fact that in a lot of cases, the overeating (if there is any at all), is due to a psychological problem that can't simply be wished away by saying "put the fork down." If it was that simple, people like me wouldn't BE fat. It's not like we want to be, believe me.

I've tried that "put the fork down" thing...didn't really work. I can beat into my brain over and over again that I need to stop eating so much, but there's still times it happens. I feel like crap afterwards for doing it, which of course just means Im going to probably overeat during my next meal to drown my sorrows.

It's an addiction for some. I just wish people would stop treating fat people as if they're simply gluttonous.

One of these days, I'm gonna haul off and punch someone in the nose.
    I understand that, but - I'm also reasonably certain that cases like this, while in need of representation, are the minority, where we the larger-framed are concerned.

[
    ]
    thefilmistreturns.wordpress.com

Impossible. Meaningless.

I'm tired of psychological problems or hormones being used as a deflection of obesity. Of course it's psychological. Gluttony itself is a psychological problem. I don't really imagine there are a lot of people running around with a goal of spitefully or pridefully being gluttonous in order to attain an obesity they desire. Most fat people want to lose weight, too, and it's a combination of various circumstances—psychological, nurtural or just plain old habitual—that lead to their inability to have that willpower to diet, exercise or eat less/healthier.

But if it's an addiction, then let's look at it like an addiction, not an external influence that can't be helped. An addiction is supposed to be extremely hard to kick. It's supposed to take a gargantuan amount of effort and resource and support, but it's still at its core a choice.

("Alcoholism is a disease, but it's the only disease that you can get yelled at for having. 'Dammit Otto, you're an alcoholic,' or 'Dammit Otto, you have Lupus.' One of those two doesn't sound right." Good joke.)

As far as I'm concerned, if you're comfortable with being large-sized or unwilling to embark on that push (like, say, Kevin Smith is), that's absolutely fine—works for him. You are who you want to be, and I say the same of drug addicts. The problem is when the immediate assumption is that obese people are completely powerless, and then the sense of entitlement comes in.

[
    ]
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting BuffaloWilder (view post)
    [
    ]
    [
    ]

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    The problem is when the immediate assumption is that obese people are completely powerless, and then the sense of entitlement comes in.
    Powerless? No, not really, but sometimes (hell, a lot of the times) you DO feel that way. There have been times I've broken down in tears because I hated how I looked, how I felt and for some reason couldn't pull myself out of it even though I knew that if I kept eating the way I did, I'd probably die.

I don't feel a sense of entitlement, believe me. Unless wanting people to stop giggling at me as I walk in a store is entitlement, or wanting to smack the college girl who came up to ask me why I was so fat is a type of entitlement.

Is it entitlement to want the same kind of support my friends and family gave to the smokers and drinkers who were trying to kick the habit? I don't think it is. I'm not asking for special treatment here, I'm just asking for support and help where I need it, instead of useless blanket "advice" that doesn't do me (or any overweight people) any good.

Quote Quoting Fezzik (view post)
    Is it entitlement to want the same kind of support my friends and family gave to the smokers and drinkers who were trying to kick the habit? I don't think it is. I'm not asking for special treatment here, I'm just asking for support and help where I need it, instead of useless blanket "advice" that doesn't do me (or any overweight people) any good.

The entitlement that I think is given is that it's "okay." That they cannot fight it.

If an overweight person gets into a fitness program, takes a diet, or whatever it is that makes them start losing weight, they start getting overwhelming support and congratulations from friends when they say that they lost five pounds.

It's the start that counts to me. I completely agree with 8 on this.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    [
    ]

I've actually been thinking of going with a more fruit-heavy diet, of late - an orange or two for breakfast, and some other, heavier, fruit combination for lunch with tea, or water if I'm out and about. Although, I don't mean to eliminate meats entirely - they'll just be less emphasized, outside of dinner-times and whatnot.

Could work, I suppose.
    thefilmistreturns.wordpress.com

Impossible. Meaningless.

I'm going on a "fuck you" diet. I eat whatever I want and don't exercise, but every day I stand naked in front of a mirror and if I see my stomach being less than flat, I scream at it to fuck off. Seems to be working.

Also, I take a lot of dumps.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Best Boy
    This film is getting really terrible reviews.

Not that I didn't see it coming.

They showed a clip of the "movie quotes" interrogation on Daily Show last night and it's absolutely sad in how clueless it is about telling jokes. It's true that Smith's only strength is in the writing, not the delivery.
    Movie Theater Diary

They showed a clip of the "movie quotes" interrogation on Daily Show last night and it's absolutely sad in how clueless it is about telling jokes. It's true that Smith's only strength is in the writing, not the delivery.
    Ha, really? Speaking in my capacity as a guy who has no interest whatsoever in seeing Cop Out, I thought that clip was surprisingly hilarious and even semi-reminiscent of classic 30 Rock in its lightning-paced kookery

Quote Quoting Adam (view post)
    Ha, really? Speaking in my capacity as a guy who has no interest whatsoever in seeing Cop Out, I thought that clip was surprisingly hilarious and even semi-reminiscent of classic 30 Rock in its lightning-paced kookery
    The Bruce Willis reaction cutaways killed it. I don't need him standing there just naming the movie references. And the last punchline is terrible. Wouldn't "Never heard of it" been better than "I haven't seen that movie"?
    Movie Theater Diary

The Bruce Willis reaction cutaways killed it. I don't need him standing there just naming the movie references. And the last punchline is terrible. Wouldn't "Never heard of it" been better than "I haven't seen that movie"?
    100% agreed, even though Willis's delivery of the line made me laugh.
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

The comedy bits were hysterical, the 'buddy cop movie' bits were terrible, Sean William Scott stole the show, and Trracy Morgan was hilarious.

Meh +2.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    OMG this was terrible. Was only watching to finish Smith's filmography but boy...
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    OMG this was terrible. Was only watching to finish Smith's filmography but boy...
    Here I am slightly dreading getting ready to watch Me and Orson Welles, Last Flag Flying, and Where'd You Go, Bernadette to round out my Linklater filmography, and then I realize, it could be a lot, lot worse.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    Here I am slightly dreading getting ready to watch Me and Orson Welles, Last Flag Flying, and Where'd You Go, Bernadette to round out my Linklater filmography, and then I realize, it could be a lot, lot worse.
    My wife wanted to watch a "cop movie" but she was also tired so she didn't want to put a lot of effort in; I threw this out as an example as something I've wanted to complete for a while. We could barely get through it. Every joke misses. Every joke structure is broken.

The above example that number8 mentions is a perfect example. Why is Bruce Willis naming all the movie references? WE GET IT!

Bruce Willis looked like he didn't want to be here.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Haven't seen the other two but Last Flag Flying is great and was highly underrated on its release. Carrell in particular impressed me a lot.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

Quote Quoting Lazlo (view post)
    Haven't seen the other two but Last Flag Flying is great and was highly underrated on its release. Carrell in particular impressed me a lot.
    That's the pep talk I needed!
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

That's the pep talk I needed!
    Happy to be of service. Good luck!
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Bruce Willis looked like he didn't want to be here.
    He didnt. Most of the movie is first takes and a lot of scenes Willis refused to even shoot. Smith said it was all he could do to put the movie together because of such limited shots and Willis being incredibly difficult.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    He didnt. Most of the movie is first takes and a lot of scenes Willis refused to even shoot. Smith said it was all he could do to put the movie together because of such limited shots and Willis being incredibly difficult.
    Must've had a weak contract to not fire and be able to reshoot.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Must've had a weak contract to not fire and be able to reshoot.
    I'd bet it was low budget and Willis the huge star get, so he could do as he pleased.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast