Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Gaming Unplugged - Old School Style - Luddite Gaming - Nerdtopia

It's really hard to pick just one game, and if I started listing favorites it'd go on forever. I'll put out Super Mario Advance, Final Fantasy 6 , Majora's Mask - games with fairly similar atmospheres now that I think about it. My favorite game at the moment is Skyrim. And sometimes I try make small games just for fun because I studied at this field.

Quote Quoting BiankyF (view post)
    It's really hard to pick just one game, and if I started listing favorites it'd go on forever. I'll put out Super Mario Advance, Final Fantasy 6 , Majora's Mask - games with fairly similar atmospheres now that I think about it. My favorite game at the moment is Skyrim. And sometimes I try make small games just for fun because I studied at this field.
    This particular thread is devoted to board games, card games and such - games that don't require an electrical connection.

To discuss Video Games, might I suggest venturing to this thread.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

I finally got all of my Shadows of Brimstone stuff dipped. A few things not pictured. I'll have to post some pictures of how much stuff I have for this brilliant mess of a game.

http://imgur.com/a/leA90

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Oh shit that last one is cool looking.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Thanks.

Recently did this guy, too, for Age of Sigmar.

wow, that stuff looks out of sight.

welcome back!
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

So I know that Meg has been hitting the games pretty hard lately, what else is everyone playing?

Bac0n can fill you in on the adventures of Beef Bronkoski (sp?). I think the name changes slightly pending on our BAC.

And, yes, welcome back.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

I've also been putting together a ton of stuff for the original Warhammer Quest.

Pretty much all I've been doing the last year is putting together models, painting and DIYing stuff for Warhammer Quest and Shadows of Brimstone.

Hey welcome back.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Haven't been doing much table top gaming on account of trying to do outside stuff while it's warm out, but yeah, a couple of games of The Incredible Edible Adventures of Beef Magronski have been played on the several occasions Scar has been over. I think the game is also called "Betrayal at House on Haunted Hill" by some people. We've also played Last Night On Earth once or twice.

I figure, once it gets cold again, we'll be picking up the pace. I'm especially excited to have several more people over to play Scythe. It's a pretty fun game, expertly balancing depth of play with rules that you can explain to someone in about 15 minutes. And the art direction is spectacular.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love Betrayal. So much fun. I didn't care for Scythe. A little too dry for my tastes.

Yeah, Betrayal/Magronski is a different delightful shitshow every time we play it. It's invariably after a few hours of drinking that we bust it out, and I always play the same character, don't know his real name, but he's the guy with lots of strength/speed but low sanity/intelligence, likes football and shiny objects. In other words, the meathead, ergo, Beef Magronski.

The game usually ends up with me charging head first into the bad guy like an idiot ("you guy's get outa hear while I distract this extra-dimensional demon!"). Sometimes it works, most of the time Beef gets his ass kicked and we all die anyway.

And yeah, Scythe is dry, sorta slow and methodical, but I like the idea of building my empire like a lego set, rather than trying to conquer everything ala Risk. It's a nice rainy day game, and one of the few games I have that can be played solo.
    Last edited by bac0n; 07-26-2017 at 01:20 PM.

Would like to do more gaming but living so far out in the country it becomes an ordeal trying to get the group together.

Have several games that have been on the shelf for 6+ months and never touched.

However I have finally started to receive some of the projects I backed on KS. Lazer Ryderz came in last week and has some of the coolest package design I've ever seen.

The art in Scythe is fantastic. And I love the random encounter / event cards. I've heard it plays well solo.

I've been getting more into solo board gaming lately.

Discovered this one from 1980 - Barbarian Prince. Fantastic! Free to print and play. It's like a Super Choose Your Own Adventure. Has an event book, is paragraph driven, but also has a map, encounter tables, stats and progression. It is very, very cool.

https://dwarfstar.brainiac.com/ds_barbarianprince.html

Then there is Four Against Darkness - a solo dungeon crawl RPG. The base rules are just for random dungeon crawls, but then there are one-off adventures you can buy. All PDF, print on demand stuff.

http://www.ganeshagames.net/index.php?cPath=1_55

Then there is Treasures and Trolls, an old RPG that has quite a few solo adventures.

I've also been into collecting old Games Workshop stuff, and recently got Chainsaw Warrior, a solo game that is super cool.

And most of the dungeon crawls I'm into are great solo. Been playing Shadows of Brimstone, Warhammer Quest, and Secrets of the Lost Tomb solo.

Chainsaw Warrior looks amazing.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Lazer Ryderz came in last week and has some of the coolest package design I've ever seen.
    The packaging is very cool.

Backed two more games on KS.

We started out Shadows of Brimstone campaign this past Saturday. It was a blast.

However, I need a bigger table.

The funniest part was when we searched the jacket pocket of a ratty old corpse, and found a pack mule.

Nerdtopia. Yes. Looks really fun.

Seems like a whole lot of mechanics going on, and I love how Pack Mule gets such a detailed card.

Best new-to-me game I've played recently is Le Havre. Same designer as Agricola and kinda feels similar, but instead of a farming theme it's about production chains and shipping goods. There appears to be tons of viable strategies, and the game actually moves pretty fast for a euro.

So, tell me about that Shadows of Brimstone game - is it an RPG, in the sense that there's a DM guiding the journey, or is everybody a player and the game unfolds how the game unfolds?

Is it the sorta game you could play in a few hours, or are we talking about having to clear up an entire day (or weekend) to get through it?

And most importantly: do you have to do anything special to get the skittles?

SoB is entirely GMless. It's a co-op dungeon crawl that feels more like an RPG than any other board game I've played. It's an analog version of Diablo, with a weird west theme.

While a large portion of the game consists of combat, there are also non-combat encounters driven by a deck of encounter cards. Each location has its own encounter deck. Within these encounters there are stat checks, weird events, NPCs, and light story elements. Each of the unique rooms in each tile set also has a unique encounter card, so the different worlds have flavor.

My favorite part of the game comes with the Frontier Town expansion. There is an entire game outside of the dungeons. Once a mission is complete you choose to go back to a small, medium, or large town. On the way to town there are random encounters, and once you get to a town you draw 4, 6 or 8 different locations from a group of 12. Each location has it's own unique things to do like shop, upgrade weapons, visit doctors and exorcists to have ailments removed, and each location has its own set of unique encounters.

The towns can also be dangerous, and the longer you stay, the more dangerous they can get. Last time we went to a large town. On the first day, a band of wounded soldiers passed through and we decided to help them, thinking we could get some xp, and push our shopping to the next day. After helping the soldiers, we stayed the night at the hotel. The next morning, a Void Twister stormed through the town and destroyed everything! We weren't able to shop, and head to the next mission totally unprepared.

There is also meaningful character development. Each character has a choice of one major, character-defining skill. Then each character has stats, and 4 skill trees to progress through. Each time you level up you get a random stat upgrade, and then you can pick a new skill. There is also a SHIT TON of loot and gear. More than any other game I've ever seen.

The missions take about 2 hours to complete, and a town visit can take about an hour or more.

The main issue with the game is that you need to invest in quite a bit of it for it to be really great. Shopping around, I'd say you'd need to spend about $300 to get the most out of it. I'd purchase both core sets, the Frontier Town expansion, and a couple of the deluxe enemy packs to get going. The game also needs a few house rules to be really great. But if you get into it, I can tell you what we use. The game is entirely moddable, and there is a ton of fan created content out there.

Next year, the totally new core set / version comes out - Forbidden Fortress. Takes the weird west, and puts it in weird Japan. You see that picture above of all the plastic tubs? There is that much more coming for FoFo. Everything is compatible with everything.

SoB is definitely what we call a Lifestyle Game. You get into it, and it can become your main hobby.

Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast