Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Gaming Unplugged - Old School Style - Luddite Gaming - Nerdtopia

We played that newish Risk game last week. The one where you modify the board and tear up cards as you play. The metagame makes it fun because I hadn't played Risk in years.

Risk Legacy is a total blast.

My favorite deck building game is Puzzle Strike, mainly because it's all direct player interaction.

Tons of gaming stuff for sale!

Dozens of Hobby games!
    http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/tag/3402682017.html

Descent First Edition Super Pack! OOP
    http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/tag/3402401700.html

Magic the Gathering and Shadowfist Super Packs!
    http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/tag/3402650641.html

Arkham Horror Super Pack!
    http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/tag/3402587260.html

Dungeons & Dragons Essentials/4e Super Pack!
    http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/tag/3402558011.html

Dungeonquest 1st ed - OOP
    http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/tag/3402526703.html

Talisman 3rd Edition Super Pack! OOP
    http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/tag/3402511729.html

Save almost $500 and buy everything for $1,000! Instant library of awesome games.

(Trying to make a down payment for a Moog Voyager)

Ooh ooh, can I buy Pandemic from you?

I made a Christmas list of boardgames last night. In addition to Pandemic, it consists of King of Tokyo, Summoner Wars, Memoir '44, 1st & Goal, and Thunderstone.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Any in the $10-20 range that are particular favorites of yours, D?

Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    Ooh ooh, can I buy Pandemic from you?

I made a Christmas list of boardgames last night. In addition to Pandemic, it consists of King of Tokyo, Summoner Wars, Memoir '44, 1st & Goal, and Thunderstone.
    Already taken.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    Any in the $10-20 range that are particular favorites of yours, D?
    Dungeon Twister
    Cash N Guns
    Innovation
    Rattus

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Dungeon Twister
    Cash N Guns
    Innovation
    Rattus
    I say this not to question your prices or to embarrass you, but merely to point out potential mistakes. It is possible to buy Innovation and Forbidden Island brand new on Amazon for less than you are selling yours.

I would like to buy Dungeon Twister from you, however I wouldn't be able to pay you for about a week, so if you have someone you'd rather sell it to before then, I understand completely. I'm also interested in Call of Cthulhu, but I'll have to see how my money stands before I commit too much.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    I say this not to question your prices or to embarrass you, but merely to point out potential mistakes. It is possible to buy Innovation and Forbidden Island brand new on Amazon for less than you are selling yours.
    Could be, I didn't really research prices. Just did about 1/2 of what I paid for on most of them. A lot of people will be picking these up in person, so they won't have to pay shipping and will get it right away.

Just let me know what you want when you want it. We can work out a deal we'll both be happy with.

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Could be, I didn't really research prices. Just did about 1/2 of what I paid for on most of them.

Just let me know what you want when you want it.
    Okay, cool. I get paid on the 15th. If Dungeon Twister hasn't sold yet, I'll take it. Sounds like a blast. I've been looking for games like this that only require a couple players as opposed to large groups, so that I can play them with my son. We got him Gloom for his birthday, which is a pretty fun game. Still, I'm looking for something a little more interesting and complex.

Dungeon Twister is great, especially if you like chess. Like chess, there is no luck - it's all skill and strategy.

Also, there are a lot of expansions out if you get really into it. You can expand it to a 4-player game.

I signed up for boardgamearena.com, picked a game that looked fun (Saboteur) learned the rules, and I've been having a blast ever since. I love hidden role games, even if this is the first one I've played. The dynamics and player interactions make this one a riot. The games are short, sweet, and fun.

Ever play that one D_Davis?

Oh, man. I'm pretty hooked on board games all of a sudden.

A week into Saboteur and for a brief second, I had my rating up to 1704 (41st). I would have had to quit playing to keep it there though. Ha. It's super addicting and tons of fun.

I've watched a handful of Wil Wheaton's Tabletop youtube channel videos and there's some great stuff out there.

I just learned this game and it's a blast, too:

You lay plots of land, irrigate it, grow bamboo with a gardener, and eat the bamboo with a panda all based on the objective cards in your hand. Everyone else is doing the same, and could be helping or hurting your objectives.

Boardgamearena has it for free, and I already wish I had the $300 special edition box set. And I just started playing it.

I gave Race for the Galaxy a shot and it's not bad, but it's not really grabbing me either. It's similar enough to Magic: The Gathering for me to pick up easily, but it's not doing a good job of keeping me hooked.

I'm dying to try Lords of Waterdeep and Small World. I'm tempted to learn Through the Ages too, even though that's not typically the type of game I go for.

D_Davis was right about Puzzle Strike being insanely fun. Addicting and easy to learn, plus you can play it for free online at their website (that's how I play it).

I bought the Star Wars X-Wing game and that's a blast too. I'm a little annoyed that it's common knowledge the $30 base game won't tide you over for long. I've heard you need 2 base games and a shit load of expansions to really get it going, but I'm likely gonna end up doing that anyway so whatever.

We had a 7 person game of The Resistance a few weeks ago and everyone seemed to enjoy it. That's a fun little game. We played at least 7 or 8 times.

So far the hidden role/bluffing games are more my style than worker placement type of games, but I'm trying to give everything a shot.

Robinson Crusoe: Adventure on the Cursed Island is quite possibly the best board game I've found so far. It's super hard, but really fun and thematically perfect. If it wasn't $80 to buy the physical copy, I'd probably own it by now (I have been using the Vassal engine recently to try out games).

I learned the rules for Arkham Horror but haven't been able to find enough people to play a game. It's not easy to find multiple people willing to commit 3 or more hours to a single game.

Claustrophobia is really fun too. It's a straight up 2 player game and one of the best I've found - but, again, I have been having trouble to find someone to play with since I don't own the game and playing it on the computer isn't quite the same.

And Hearthstone is a blast. It's a simplified version of Magic: the Gathering and the differences are an improvement in my opinion (I love Magic too.). It's free and awesome. Try it.

Hey Mr. Pink - sounds like you've been playing some great games. I haven't played too many new games in 2014. Actually, haven't played many board games at all this year.

We've been mostly playing the new Dungeons & Dragons. I think it's the best version of D&D released yet. It's pretty much a best of system of all the previously released versions, with all the bloat stripped out, yet still retaining all the things that make the game interesting.

The books are also amazing. The Monster Manual just came out today, and it is full of great lore and awesome art.

So, after lurking in this thread last year, and also from watching several episodes of Table Top, I've sorta caught the boardgame bug myself, and got a few old friends (among them, Spun Lepton) for a monthly game night. We'll be three in this Saturday, and already it's become something I really look forward to each month. Here are the games we've played or plan to play.

Tokaido - this was the first game we played, and it was fun enough, but the rules are a bit tricky for folks like me who hadn't played a board game in many years, so that run through was mainly a learning experience. Still, the artwork in the game is astounding, and since the object of the game is to have as good a vacation as possible, it has a laid back vibe which at times took me back to my own vacation in Japan 11 years ago. At any rate, looking forward to playing it again, now that we all have a better understanding of the rules.

Cards Against Humanity - this game comes out after the girls have gone to bed (and usually after a few of us have had a few drinks). My god, I feel like sticking a bar of lifeboy in my mouth after playing, but, man alive, I haven't laughed that hard doing anything in a very long time. It's pretty much all of us channeling our inner Louis CKs. So wrong, yet so hysterical.

Pandemic - I'd been wanting to play this game for a while, so I finally picked it up with some birthday money earlier this month. I couldn't wait until game night, so I played it with my wife and mother in law a few Saturdays ago. I really like the cooperative nature of the game, the whole work together or else everyone dies sense of urgency to it. I felt that since my wife is a public health professional, and my mother in law is a retired nurse, we had an unfair advantage when we found all cures and won. However, the next day, upon review of the rules, I found to my disappointment that we hadn't been playing it right, which was why we did so well. I fear that fate has a cruel lesson in store for us the next time we play.

Last Night on Earth - a zombie game! I just got this yesterday, and reading through the rules, this looks like a hell of a lot of fun. It's 2 to 6 players, one player controls the zombies (2 if there are 6 players) and the rest control various zombie movie stereotypes - the town sheriff, the high school quarterback, the priest, etc. and there are about five scenarios that can be played out, from destroying all the zombies before nightfall, to finding a truck, gassing it up and getting the hell out of town before you all get eaten, to defending a house against a never-ending onslaught ala NotLD. Has anybody here played it?
    Last edited by bac0n; 03-26-2015 at 03:15 PM.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Last Night on Earth sounds fun.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Yeah, it was a pretty good time, tho, as with the other games we had played, it was mainly a learning-how-to-play sort of run. Spun's grunts and groans as he moved each Zombie has guaranteed that he will be playing the side of the undead from here on out, however.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Yeah, it was a pretty good time, tho, as with the other games we had played, it was mainly a learning-how-to-play sort of run. Spun's grunts and groans as he moved each Zombie has guaranteed that he will be playing the side of the undead from here on out, however.

We've played so many games wrong - so don't worry about it. I think there are a few games (mainly Fantasy Flight games) that we've NEVER played right!

Sounds like you're playing some quality games.

LNOE is pretty cool, but some of the scenarios are definitely better than the others. There is another co-op zombie game that I like more, but I can't remember the name of it. I'll find out and let you know. It's more like Walking Dead in that it deals more with the drama between the players - it's co-op with a traitor mechanic. You have to go out into the danger zones to collect goods to contribute to problems, and if someone is the traitor they can mess things up by contributing junk, or by helping the zombies get in.

B - here is that game I mentioned above.

Dead of Winter
    http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1...rossroads-game

Ooh, Zombies + bastardry? I'm in.

FYI, Scar and I got our asses whupped by Pandemic -SHEEEEE-IT!

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast