Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Gaming Unplugged - Old School Style - Luddite Gaming - Nerdtopia

We played Fiasco last night. Fiasco is a story-game in which the players create scenes in movies using a variety of choices taken from the book. The settings are mainly inspired by Coen Brothers movies, in that they present a situation and often times chaotic things happen and lots of comical tragedy occurs.

There are no rules for conflict resolution, so everything is done through scene setting and improvisation. It's basically LARPing while sitting around a table.

And it was awesome.

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    For you dominion bros:

http://dominion.isotropic.org/

Any recs for a civilization-type game? Must be turn-based, have a good balance of military and (more importantly) non-military strategies, and support rule-variance and other stuff effecting replayability. Dominion is great, especially with this new "campaign" rule I discovered recently, but I also love me some kingdom building and a board is missing from my life.

I love the Civilization computer games, so the most recent board adaptation seems like a good fit, but I'm also reading great things about Through the Ages. Donald X's Kingdom Builder is a logical choice as well, I suppose. Just as long as it can be played in five hours or less. None of this double digit play time nonsense.

Quote Quoting Thirdmango (view post)
    For you dominion bros:

http://dominion.isotropic.org/
    I play on here some. I'm not great yet though. I was climbing the leaderboard pretty quickly at first, but I've kind of hit a plateau around 3000th (level 11). I'm Idioteque Stalker if you ever want to play.

Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    Any recs for a civilization-type game? Must be turn-based, have a good balance of military and (more importantly) non-military strategies, and support rule-variance and other stuff effecting replayability. Dominion is great, especially with this new "campaign" rule I discovered recently, but I also love me some kingdom building and a board is missing from my life.

I love the Civilization computer games, so the most recent board adaptation seems like a good fit, but I'm also reading great things about Through the Ages. Donald X's Kingdom Builder is a logical choice as well, I suppose. Just as long as it can be played in five hours or less. None of this double digit play time nonsense.
    The new version of Civilization from FFG is good.

You might also want to check out Dominant Species - you're building up a species, not a kingdom, but the similarities are there and it's a brilliant hardcore strategy game from the folks at GMT.

Kingdom Builder is great, but it's very light and not a lot of strategy.

A new game that I am loving right now is The Lords of Waterdeep from WOTC. It's a Euro-style worker placement game with a ton of Ameri-style theme, in this specific case D&D. It's super fun, lots of important decisions to make, and the theme works great with the mechanics.

I don't care much for the new Civilization. For one, things progress too fast - one minute you're in the middle ages and the next you've got nukes. If they had condensed the time period to just a portion of history it would have had a better flavor.

Though old, History of the World is a great game for 6 players though it has some downtime between turns. Probably the best history simulator ever.

Seven Wonders is the new great game for lots of people. Hardly any downtime at all and requires more than just random thought - plays quick too.

For 5 players, Struggle of Empires is my favorite.

Played two long games yesterday - Eclipse, a 4x space game, and Dominant Species, a lite wargame/worker placement game.

nightmare investigator monolith94's Avatar
    Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Seaside isn't bad, I just didn't like some of the stuff it added to the game.

Yeah - the mark up on games at your local store is high. Unfortunately, that's the way the biz is. I buy about 65% of my games online, and the other 35% I try to support a couple local shops; and luckily one of the online stores I order from is local, and I can go and pick up my orders at the Warehouse. We have an amazing assortment of board game stores in Seattle, and what's most amazing is that there seems to be new ones popping up but the old ones are still around.

Last year the board game industry grew by a whopping 35% - it was like the 8th year in a row with growth over 25%. Of course most of that grows is from the behemoth, Magic the Gathering, which is more popular now than it has ever been. A testament to its design and the marketing department at WotC. It's crazy to think how popular that game has been for 15 years. And it's still really good.
    And I'm helping to contribute to that. Yes, I am back into Magic the Gathering. Have been for more than a year now.
    "Modern weapons can defend freedom, civilization, and life only by annihilating them. Security in military language means the ability to do away with the Earth."
    -Ivan Illich, Deschooling Society

I've played Eclipse once - it was fun. Can't wait to play it again.

I've recently played Mage Knight a few times recently. It's pretty cool but it's a long game with lots of downtime between player turns. It would play better online where you could take your time.

Also played Vinhos recently. We had lots of Portuguese wine while playing which increased the immersion factor. This game is a brain burner though since you have lots of options at any one time. Again, lots of downtime between player turns.

Quote Quoting Yxklyx (view post)
    I've recently played Mage Knight a few times recently. It's pretty cool but it's a long game with lots of downtime between player turns. It would play better online where you could take your time.
    I'm really looking forward to playing this. Hope it comes back in print soon. How many people did you play with?

I'm really looking forward to playing this. Hope it comes back in print soon. How many people did you play with?
    Three people. It's a very cool and intricate game but it's very hard to plan your turn ahead of time because you don't know what mana the player before you will use - so lots of downtime. With four that would be even worse.

Kitcon is this weekend in the Chicago area. Very cool event that happens three times a year at an unused Boy Scout lodge near Elgin.

These are some games we might play this weekend (not sure if I'm going to this Kitcon though)

1. Dungeon Lords
    2. Brass
    3. Struggle of Empires
    4. Goa
    5. London

Goa's a bit old. I love Struggle of Empires and London. Haven't played Brass in a while.

I'm going to be performing my yearly clean-out of stuff I don't use/want/need anymore, and a large part of this will be many hobby board games. I'll post the list here before it goes on Craigslist so ya'll can take a look.

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    Yay!

I'm going to be performing my yearly clean-out of stuff I don't use/want/need anymore, and a large part of this will be many hobby board games. I'll post the list here before it goes on Craigslist so ya'll can take a look.
    Ooooh. I'm intrigued.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Has anyone here played 7 Wonders?

One of my friends bought it a couple months ago and we CANT stop playing it. The goal is to have the most victory points by the end of "Age 3" - and you can get victory points by accumulating military victories, gathering science and money, completing your wonder and scoring based on cards you play.

Based on that description, it SOUNDS pretty standard, I know, but the gameplay is fantastic. It's like crack. Seriously.

I do not like 7 Wonders. It's neat that it scales with no additional time for so many people, but both times I played it I just didn't have any fun at all. I know a lot of people like it though.

Quote Quoting Fezzik (view post)
    Has anyone here played 7 Wonders?

One of my friends bought it a couple months ago and we CANT stop playing it. The goal is to have the most victory points by the end of "Age 3" - and you can get victory points by accumulating military victories, gathering science and money, completing your wonder and scoring based on cards you play.

Based on that description, it SOUNDS pretty standard, I know, but the gameplay is fantastic. It's like crack. Seriously.
    Yeah, we play it at least once a session. We use the Leaders expansion as well. The best thing about it is that it's quick so easy to fit in - plus it requires quite a bit of thought for such a quick game.

Played King of Tokyo and Stone Age the other night.

Also Le Havre.

We played Lords of Waterdeep again last night. Love that game. It's such a great little worker-placement game, with a fun theme (D&D), and some actual player interaction, something lacking from most Euro-style games. I tried a really different strategy, and completely demolished the competition. Pretty funny, especially since I never, ever win at games.

And then after we had plenty of beer, we played Cards Against Humanity for about an hour. That's a game that'll get you some wild looks in a bar. Nothing like one of those moments of silence when the music stops and everyone in the bar hears people laughing while someone is yelling "Children with ass cancer!" or "Picking up chicks at the abortion clinic!"

Games for Sale

Starcraft - $50
    Munchkin Cthulhu + an expansion mixed in - $25
    Munchkin Kung Fu + 2 expansions mixed in - $35
    Anima - $10
    Zombie in my Pocket - $10
    Talisman 3rd Edition + Tons of fan made/printed extras - $75
    Fairy Tale - $10
    Master of Rules - $10
    Zombie Flux - $10
    The Great Dalmuti - $10
    SMiley Face - $10
    Cash 'n Guns - $25
    Battle Star Galactica - $25
    Dungeon Twister - $25
    The Swarm - $15
    Sherwood Forest - $15
    Castle Ravenloft - $35
    Gloom - $10
    Pandemic - $25
    Cthulhu LCG + a few expansions mixed in - $35
    Nexus Ops (original) - $35
    Krysis - $15

Both "Gloom" and "The Great Dalmuti" look like the kinds of games I like to play with my sister. How would we work that?
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    Both "Gloom" and "The Great Dalmuti" look like the kinds of games I like to play with my sister. How would we work that?
    Paypal? Add a few ($3) bucks for shipping. PM me if you're interested.

Even though Dominion was my gateway to board gaming (I now own Puerto Rico, Civilization and 7 Wonders) it's still my favorite. I've officially gotten my whole family hooked. We had an 8-player, 8-game tournament on vacation--complete with a losers' bracket and a grand prize--and everybody was enthralled. The best thing is that neither my girlfriend nor I won, and we're by far the most experienced players. It's just a really balanced, intriguing, fun game.

The new expansion, Dark Ages, looks insane. It's by far the biggest set, and it breaks so many rules. The designer said it's his favorite because it's the "Johnny" set. Apparently in Magic terms a "Johnny" is the type of player who uses weird strategies and plays the cards no one else likes. This is exciting for me because I've recently become somewhat of a Johnny after getting tired of winning most games. Looks like Dark Ages is really going to prolong Dominion's replayability.

It's a great game. I only wish it had more player interaction. However, that's not the game. Still really fun, though.

Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    The best thing is that neither my girlfriend nor I won, and we're by far the most experienced players. It's just a really balanced, intriguing, fun game.
    Some argue that this is a fault of game design. No matter how good you are, you are at the mercy of the luck of the draw.

I see both sides of the argument.

We don't play Dominion anymore. If you love that one though you should try out Race for the Galaxy (there's a free computer version with decent AI available at http://keldon.net/rftg/) and Thunderstone. They both have a similar deck-building concept.

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast