Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Gaming Unplugged - Old School Style - Luddite Gaming - Nerdtopia

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Innovation is just about a perfect game for my style. It uses cards, short set up time, elegant rules, lots of choices, and tons of player interaction. The game is constantly flowing, changing, evolving and moving forward. It's all very tactical, and you really have to think about things on the fly.

Simply put, Innovation is excellent. I can see this becoming an all time favorite.
    Oh, hey, I mentioned this game to my sister forever ago and she had an important question. Does it put a "civilization" value on how far societies have innovated? Basically, is a bronze age civilization considered better than a stone age?
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    Oh, hey, I mentioned this game to my sister forever ago and she had an important question. Does it put a "civilization" value on how far societies have innovated? Basically, is a bronze age civilization considered better than a stone age?
    It's not that specific, but yes it does in a very abstract way. It's more of a philosophical civilization game in that you're more concerned with big ideas.

I really can't recommend the game enough. It's my favorite game of the last few years - since Dominion. The first expansion set is coming out soon.

It's not that specific, but yes it does in a very abstract way. It's more of a philosophical civilization game in that you're more concerned with big ideas.

I really can't recommend the game enough. It's my favorite game of the last few years - since Dominion. The first expansion set is coming out soon.
    Yeah, I think I'm going to try it out. My sister is very sensitive to Western-is-better bias in games, but this sounds pretty cool. It will have to wait until I have money, though.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Yeah, I think I'm going to try it out. My sister is very sensitive to Western-is-better bias in games, but this sounds pretty cool. It will have to wait until I have money, though.
    There is no concept of East or West. You won't even notice anything like this.

Mara, I think you might dig a couple new games I ordered:

They're both storytelling games, and I think they look awesome.

Played an epically awesome game of Mansions of Madness last night. Here is a shot of Joe Diamond, right before he was molested by a gang of cultists of driven insane by two Shoggoths.

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Not really at all what Davis has been posting, but when I was younger, my grandparents had one of these games, but it was less cheesy than this one (each hole had point values). I'm desperate to find one online for sale, but this is the only one I can find and it's somewhat disappointing. I guess it is possible theirs was hand-made. Has anyone seen one of these somewhere else?

Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    Not really at all what Davis has been posting, but when I was younger, my grandparents had one of these games, but it was less cheesy than this one (each hole had point values). I'm desperate to find one online for sale, but this is the only one I can find and it's somewhat disappointing. I guess it is possible theirs was hand-made. Has anyone seen one of these somewhere else?

My family used to have a nice one as well. Loved it. Haven't seen one in ages, but then again I haven't really been looking.

My family used to have a nice one as well. Loved it. Haven't seen one in ages, but then again I haven't really been looking.
    I swore it was called "Levitation" or something very similar, but I just can't find it. Seems like one of those lo-fi games that has almost completely vanished. More likely to be found in small shops as a novelty item.
    Recently Viewed:
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½

Films By Year

I swore it was called "Levitation" or something very similar, but I just can't find it. Seems like one of those lo-fi games that has almost completely vanished. More likely to be found in small shops as a novelty item.
    I bet you could find a nice antique one in an antique store, or maybe a more expensive handmade one in a boutique game shop.

It's called "Shoot the Moon."

Here are some nicer ones

http://www.gameshack.biz/shootthemoonw.asp
    http://www.buy.com/prod/drueke-class...200024905.html

Was it called "Shoot the Moon"?

http://www.amazon.com/Wood-Expressio...0812561&sr=1-2

Super fancy:

http://www.frontgate.com/jump.jsp?it...:referralID=NA

I'll check at the game store next to my house this evening if you like to see if they have it.
    ...and the milk's in me.

I bet you could find a nice antique one in an antique store, or maybe a more expensive handmade one in a boutique game shop.

Here are some nicer ones

http://www.gameshack.biz/shootthemoonw.asp
    http://www.buy.com/prod/drueke-class...200024905.html
    Cool, thanks. I'm beginning to think theirs was definitely a handmade or specialty-made version since it wasn't like this one either, but the "Shoot the Moon" one is much nicer than the one I originally found.
    Recently Viewed:
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½

Films By Year

Hey, you scooped me.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Hey, you scooped me.

Scoop!

I'll check at the game store next to my house this evening if you like to see if they have it.
    Thanks, but I think I'll just go with the one on Amazon. It has the same point values (and who knows, maybe theirs did have planets on there too... this was at least 12 to 15 years ago). I may check a couple shops around here first, but the ones online will suffice.
    Recently Viewed:
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½

Films By Year

You know what old wooden game I loved? Skittles. We had a great Skittles set growing up.
    ...and the milk's in me.

FOUND IT! I was sort of right, it was called "Gravitation." No longer in production and this eBay seller wants $100 for it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-Pleasantime...-/330544791342
    Recently Viewed:
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½

Films By Year

FOUND IT! I was sort of right, it was called "Gravitation." No longer in production and this eBay seller wants $100 for it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-Pleasantime...-/330544791342
    Nice!

Speaking of wooden dexterity games, I'm probably going to be getting a Crokinole board soon.

Super fun game.

Why would you need a game to role-play Wuthering Heights? Just pick a woman, stalk her, bang your head against trees in rainstorms, torture her family any way you can for several generations, and kill their dog. It's EASY.
    ...and the milk's in me.

We're going to play it next month. I'm going to write a little one-off. Should be hilarious.

What's the best Dominion expansion pack? They're expensive, but the original 25 action cards are getting a little old.

Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    What's the best Dominion expansion pack? They're expensive, but the original 25 action cards are getting a little old.
    My favorites are Intrigue and Prosperity

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardga...inion-intrigue

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardga...ion-prosperity

I don't care for Seaside, I've never played Alchemy or Hinterland, and I've only played Cornucopia once, but I liked it.

My favorites are Intrigue and Prosperity

I don't care for Seaside
    Oh! I bought Seaside and Prosperity. Would've gotten Intrigue, but I'm holding out for my friend to get it since it's a stand-alone. I was going to buy one large and one small, but figured I might has well get two large for just $10 more. It's incredible the price difference on Amazon vs. local game stores. Everything in town is $45 while on Amazon they're only $30.

Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    Oh! I bought Seaside and Prosperity. Would've gotten Intrigue, but I'm holding out for my friend to get it since it's a stand-alone. I was going to buy one large and one small, but figured I might has well get two large for just $10 more. It's incredible the price difference on Amazon vs. local game stores. Everything in town is $45 while on Amazon they're only $30.
    Seaside isn't bad, I just didn't like some of the stuff it added to the game.

Yeah - the mark up on games at your local store is high. Unfortunately, that's the way the biz is. I buy about 65% of my games online, and the other 35% I try to support a couple local shops; and luckily one of the online stores I order from is local, and I can go and pick up my orders at the Warehouse. We have an amazing assortment of board game stores in Seattle, and what's most amazing is that there seems to be new ones popping up but the old ones are still around.

Last year the board game industry grew by a whopping 35% - it was like the 8th year in a row with growth over 25%. Of course most of that grows is from the behemoth, Magic the Gathering, which is more popular now than it has ever been. A testament to its design and the marketing department at WotC. It's crazy to think how popular that game has been for 15 years. And it's still really good.

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast