Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Gaming Unplugged - Old School Style - Luddite Gaming - Nerdtopia

Yeah! That game looks bad ass.

Played the new Ryan Laukat game last night:

I think a lot of people here would like it. It's a very good space combat/exploration game. It's not quite a 4X game, but it has a similar feel.

The players fight for control and influence on planets, build up a small economic engine, and use special abilities on cards and allied units to control the most areas.

There is a lot going on, but nothing is super complex. It's got action selection, combat, dice rolling and card playing.

My favorite thing is that there isn't a huge penalty for losing a combat. You won't lose any of your economic engine, and units don't die. You just retreat. So it encourages combat and direct confrontation without punishing the loser. You can lose control and influence by losing a combat, but it's not devastating.

It's an absolutely gorgeous game. Ryan Laukat is a one-man shop - he designs, develops and publishes his own games, and also does all the art work. All of his games take place in the same universe, so he's able to craft interesting, connected world. I think this might be his best game.

So, it's kinda like a more face paced Scythe type game, but in outer space? Definitely sounds like something I would enjoy.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    So, it's kinda like a more face paced Scythe type game, but in outer space? Definitely sounds like something I would enjoy.
    Much faster paced. I think you'd really like it.

Cool - also noticed he did Near and Far, which looks to be a super fun Family Game Night sorta game.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Near and Far is very pleasant. It's like a Studio Ghibli board game.

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Near and Far is very pleasant. It's like a Studio Ghibli board game.
    SOLD.

I’ve never played a 4X game before.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Just a loose genre grouping, defining games in which you eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, and eXterminate.

The Civ games are 4X

An actual txt conversation Scar and I had a bit ago. Names are edited to protect the innocent.

SCAR: You don't have the Fallout board game, do you?

BAC0N: You mean that game based on the movie Fallout?

BAC0N: Wait, you're not Megladon.

BAC0N: No.

SCAR: I will smack you.

I was going to buy some ships for Armada, but then saw some newly stocked copies of Fallout. So I picked that up instead, along with the other Mysterium expansion.

One of you fuckers can be the ghost next time.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Oh, and those small clear plastic tackle boxes are perfect for sorting game tokens and what not.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Apparently there was a kickstarter for a game, Dinosaur Island, created by the guy who designed Dead of Winter, where you basically build and manage a Jurassic Park - trying to create dinosaurs out of DNA, keep them from eating your guests, managing hooligans, creating other attractions - and it was wildly successful, and immediately sold out when it hit the shelves, all with a retro 90s aesthetic.

Due to overwhelming demand, they've launched an expansion on kickstarter, and at one of the pledge levels you can get the original game. I'm down!
    Last edited by bac0n; 03-13-2018 at 06:11 PM.

Played it Tuesday and it’s reallt fun. Good euro with a cool theme to it.

SO. MANY. PIECES.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Cool! As a side, Scar and I are fixing for an epic game of Mansions of Madness on Saturday. More updates soon.

Cool! As a side, Scar and I are fixing for an epic game of Mansions of Madness on Saturday. More updates soon.
    Alcohol will be involved.

and reubens.

Bought Gloomhaven today. It was expensive.

Well..... Our intrepid explorers searched a couple rooms, killed a thing or two, then found the liquor cabinet filled with scotch, bourbon, rye, and copious amounts of beer. Then they proceeded to wander out of the mansion to the Arkham Bar down the street and forget all about the mansion.

We'll be playing it again, except we'll at least start the game sober.

Pretty certain that the gates were opened and that the ancient ones slipped through, ushering in the extinction of all life on earth. But our intrepid investigators missed it all, because they were at home yelling at Thor Ragnarok. Yeah, sure all life as we know it has been consumed in flames, but, c'mon, man. Thor Ragnarok is a helluva fun movie. Priorities.

I've been playing a D&D campaign for two years now. We don't play every week or even every month, just when all five of us can get together.

But the frustration that comes when only one of us can't make it (and the DM insists that everyone of us is present) and the lenght of the campaign led me to writing up my own adventure to DM with the crew.

Man, this is so fun, I can't wait to try it. I have the characters already in level 5 starting out as slaves on a Gnoll slave ship and having to escape. Then my plan is to lead them to an island full of ghosts of a pirate crew and buried treasure.

So when's the skype match cut game going to start??

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I think that Dan was the one who was QBing that - I'll ping him on FB. I for one would love it.

I had picked up Star Wars: Armada at a 50% discount off retail at the previously mentioned CON bac0n 'dragged' me to. Well.... Since then, I may have added numerous ships to the fleets, and am anxious for the former roommate to finish moving her shit out so I can set up the designated gaming table and start mapping out some fleets.

Its only a matter of time before a drunken bac0n screams "It's a TRAP!", and then hyperspaces in a heavy cruiser into the thick of combat.

Or both of us just setting our heavy ships to ramming speed and seeing what happens.

EDIT: I know bac0n wants me to buy several Hammerhead corvettes for that very reason.
    Last edited by Scar; 03-22-2018 at 12:01 AM.

Last Saturday was attempt two at Mansions of Madness with Scar and Bac0n and wives. We didn't lay into the scotch quite as early. As a result, we made it a little farther, but again, the investigators were getting tired so they went home before getting to the bottom of what was going on.

As a result, the gates once again opened, ushering in The Ancient Ones to the extinction of mankind. But fuck it, we needed our sleep, so sue us.

Probably didn’t help that we were knee deep in that Tombs game when the ladies showed up.

Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast