Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Chicken Sandwich

The Chicken Sandwich

I'm not sure how this thread will work.

Ideally, we figure out the best chicken sandwich around.

But first... we need some parameters people. WHAT makes a chicken sandwich legit?

RANKING:

MARVEL Tier
    Burger King - 90%
    KFC Chicken Sandwich - 80%
    McDonald's Spicy - 65%
    Popeye's Classic - 60%
    KFC Spicy Chicken Sandwich - "Fine."
    McDonald's Crispy Chicken Deluxe - 50%
    DQ - "Decent."
    Wendy's Spicy Jalapeno Popper Sandwich - Lazy redneck worthless fucks
    McDonald's Crispy Chicken - "F fucking Minus."

INDEPENDENT
    Rebel Chicken - 96% (Denver)
    Boxcar Betty's - "Right tops." (Ch-cities)
    Tumbleweed - "It's the best thing there" (The North)
    Hop and Grind - 75% (The Northeast)
    Red Cow - 72% (Up North Somewhere)
    San Antonio Airport - 65% (San Antonio, TX)
    Birdcall - 59% (Denver)

HOME MADE
    Duke's Chick-La-Gay --- "Ate so fast that a pic couldn't be done."

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

To establish ourselves a proper rating for chicken sandwich, I think a few items need to be rated.

And like movie ratings, I'm sure these could be all over the place, but for a model of consistency, we'll simply go with 1-4.

CRUNCH FACTOR - obvious, and this may be where Chik-Fil-A is at its weakest. I think fried chicken has to have a solid crunch factor. To the point where you dig in the wrapper or box for any leftover fried breading.

CHICKEN FLAVOR - We may have to separate spicy from regular as I feel like you only go for one or the other. Spicy can go in a many different directions. BUT once you get past the crunch, you go for what you paid for.

ALTERNATE - PROPER SPICE : Obvious enough. And heck, this can go for it's own rating too. But, there's certainly a difference between a spice that is actually lip-smacking good, doesn't do shit, and makes you cry for mom. Sure, the spiciest around might be funny to talk about, but after a while, it's not even enjoyable. There's a balance.

The Bread - While not a deciding factor for what makes the best, it's certainly the John Stockton to chicken sandwiches, right? Properly serving up the proper chicken. This should also include any condiments of pickles, coleslaw, etc.... Although I'm sure the argument could be made that there shouldn't be anything added.... But we'll see what we can do.

Anything else as far as ratings go???

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Next, we'll separate into tiers of:

MARVEL (Mainstream) : Readily available in multiple states.

INDEPENDENT: Likely only in one state, and just a few.

HOME MADE: Fuck it, make your own. Rate it, show us. Invite us over, god damnit (dammit).

Rate some chicken people!!!

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    i have video evidence of the chicken sandwich challenge (that likely only Eric saw). Others here need to also comply.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Oy, I watched that.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

I retract my Oy due to duke’s newborn sleep deprivation.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Sorry Scar. I remember you now.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

THe weird thing lately is my newborn hasn't been the problem at night. It's been my 18 month old who is waking up between 1-3am. She's been an angel up until this week.

I've been doing various "random review" on my Instagram over the last few months. Will add any and EVERY chicken sandwich I buy.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

In the interest of data collection, I tried the spicy chicken sandwich from Zaxby's. It was very tasty but -- and I know this may seem like a strange criticism -- the piece of chicken was too big. Eating that thing requires a measured tactical approach. Certainly not a bad sandwich by any means, but I prefer a more casual eating experience.

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    I need to go find a chicken sandwich place that I haven't eaten at. Also do tenderloins count? Cause there is one place in town that gives you ones as big as a plate and they are delicious.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

Chicken tenderloin? Typically that just the tender part of the chicken breast trimmed out. The ones big as a plate sound like pork pounded out.

Unless they pounded out a whole chicken breast, then it would be on the larger size...

I had a chicken sandwich last night from Hop and Grind, a local joint on my street.
    hopandgrind.com (Duke, they have a location in Peabody if you're ever that way)

I had only had a pork burger before from them a number of years ago- they're known for their variety of burgers, so I hoped the chicken sandwich would be satisfying. Overall not a lot of seasoning on the crispy chicken patty, but the dressed up sandwich was tasty. Sweet pickles, crispy onions, bacon, sauce, American and cheddar. I got a double patty because I was HUNGRY, but struggled to finish half of it. The leftover sandwich tasty for my breakfast. I picked up before I took a picture, so the bun has a dent. I regret not putting it on a plate. For $11.50 with plain fries, a good deal. But frankly, I think the lack of seasoning made me wish for more. 7/10.

MCDONALD'S SPICY CHICKEN
    Class: Marvel

CRUNCH - 2.5
    There is a crunch. You won't hear it from across the room, but it isn't a soggy one.

CHICKEN FLAVOR - 3
    It may just be one of the better things that McDonald's has??

Alternate - 3
    The spicy mayo actually compliments really well. Like, I would dip fries and mcnuggets into it if there was the option.

Bread - 3.5
    McDonald's chosen to go the brioche route lately, and it's the right fit here.

Damn... I'm going to look like such a loser having McDonald's go first, but so be it.

TOTAL: 10.5/16 = 65%

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

People have been raving about these McDonalds new chicken and I'm like GTF outta here bullshit. Thanks for diving on that so I dont have to get food poisoning again

That sandwich zac had looks incredible. Looks can be deceiving I guess

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    People have been raving about these McDonalds new chicken and I'm like GTF outta here bullshit. Thanks for diving on that so I dont have to get food poisoning again
    I'm lucky (I guess) to have a McDonald's by me that is consistently good. Never seems to have dull fries or food that feels like it was made a while ago. They remodeled a few years ago and are exceptionally clean too. But it ain't no bullshit.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    Chicken tenderloin? Typically that just the tender part of the chicken breast trimmed out. The ones big as a plate sound like pork pounded out.
    That's what I figured.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

Well, I didn't take a picture of it, but I, too, ordered a chicken sandwich for delivery.

Red Cow's Tennessee Hot Chicken Sammich

Tier: Independent

Crunch -- 5/10. While once obviously very crispy, I think the fact that this was delivery damaged the crunch factor. I hesitate to judge it too much on this factor, because right out of the kitchen at the restaurant, it would be a different experience.

Chicken Flavor -- 9/10. Tender and moist. Red Cow has an amazing track record for sammies and burgers.

Spice 7/10 -- The choices were "Minnesota Nice," and "Tennessee Hot," and I got Tennessee Hot. Honestly? It could have been spicier. Lots of places in Minnesota still hold back on the spice when you ask for spicy. I think a lot of whiney Minnesotans have ruined that for those of us who can actually handle it.

Bread 8/10 -- Red Cow's buns are quite good. And they toast them, as they should.

Overall -- 8/10, although I suspect when the pandemic has slowed down and I go to the restaurant to order it again, the score will go up.
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

Quote Quoting Spun Lepton (view post)
    I got Tennessee Hot. Honestly? It could have been spicier.
    Everybody wants to jump on the Nashville Hot Chicken brand, but very few have the guts to crank up the spice to the sinus-clearing levels of actual hot chicken from Nashville.

Review brah on KFC's new chicken sandwich, and the chicken sandwich "fiasco" as a whole:

[]

Summary: it's a good sandwich, but mayo-haters stay away.

Quote Quoting Zac Efron (view post)
    I had a chicken sandwich last night from Hop and Grind, a local joint on my street.
    hopandgrind.com (Duke, they have a location in Peabody if you're ever that way)

I had only had a pork burger before from them a number of years ago- they're known for their variety of burgers, so I hoped the chicken sandwich would be satisfying. Overall not a lot of seasoning on the crispy chicken patty, but the dressed up sandwich was tasty. Sweet pickles, crispy onions, bacon, sauce, American and cheddar. I got a double patty because I was HUNGRY, but struggled to finish half of it. The leftover sandwich tasty for my breakfast. I picked up before I took a picture, so the bun has a dent. I regret not putting it on a plate. For $11.50 with plain fries, a good deal. But frankly, I think the lack of seasoning made me wish for more. 7/10.

Thats enough for me to go try it!

Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    Review brah on KFC's new chicken sandwich, and the chicken sandwich "fiasco" as a whole:

[]

Summary: it's a good sandwich, but mayo-haters stay away.
    Jeebus.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Thats enough for me to go try it!
    It does look good as hell. I love onion straws

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast