Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast

Thread: Gaming Unplugged - Old School Style - Luddite Gaming - Nerdtopia

After playing, and beating, Nemesis twice on total co-op mode, I can say it’s one of the most stressful games I’ve played. Just need to make a couple reference cards for noise rolls and intruder bag results to improve game flow.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

- - - - -

^ Tabletop Bloodbourne.

Haven't played but thought this looked cool.

More: https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comme..._game_trailer/

Actually, the kickstarter launches next Tuesday, and since it's CMON who are publishing the game (Blood Rage, Rising Sun, Zombicide), you know the production values are going to be off the charts.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Goddamnit....
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

So, this Tuesday, I'm going next level board game nerd - a local game publisher, Leder Games, the folks behind the wildly popular game Root, just completed a successful campaign for an expansion to the game. They need some playtesters, so I applied to be one, and holy shit, they actually accepted my application. Suckers!

Anywho, I've been wanting to play this game for awhile. Everybody i know who's played it loves it to pieces, and to get to play the expansion months before it hits retail is gonna be cool as hell.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

That is SO cool.

Did you tell D_Davis?

No, I haven't told Dan - I should tho.

Just got back from playtesting for Root. They were looking for folks who had never played it to test out a tutorial they have created designed to quickly acclimate people to the rules. Great idea, I wish more games came with a tutorial - I've only played one other game that did, and it, like this one, really got me up to speed on the rules fast.

At any rate, any of you looking for an adorable but cutthroat game, where your gameplay options are nothing like the other people you're playing against, then Root is definitely something you need to check out.

Played Lords of Hellas twice at Caste-de-Bac0n today. Had a good strategy going the first game until bac0nette usurped one of my regions to win the game.

Second playthough i pulled out a victory. It looked like it was going to be a cake walk with my massive army defending the completed Athena monument, but then the other three players started building monuments just so they could trigger monster movements / attacks.

In the end, my massive army was decimated by monsters and Scar-ette’s final push. I was sitting on rather powerful combat cards, and Achilles sacrificed the last of his troops to maintain control of the completed monument after three turns.

Trust me, it’ll make more sense after you’ve played the game.

Yeah, Lords of Hellas is a fun game for those who like a fast-paced area control sort of game with lots of ways to win. It's the first boardgame kickstarter I backed, and the stretch goals showed up last friday. There are lots of them. Lots and lots and lots of them - to the point that a significant part of my game shelf is LoH focused. Needless to say, we will be revisiting this game quite a bit.

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: Buy Bunny Kingdom.

I think Scar-ette is going to impose a three martini minimum before I’m allowed to play, since that’s the only time she’s won. Granted, it was her birthday.

I played a fun new game last night for the first time: Outer Rim. It takes place in the Star Wars OT universe, in the grungy outskirts of the galaxy. You take on the role of a rogue of sorts, pulling off jobs, smuggling contraband, collecting bounties, all to get money to upgrade your ship (or purchase a new one) and build your fame. First person to 10 fame points wins.

I was Bossk, so I did the bounty hunter thing and went after Dr. Evazan (the guy with death warrants on 12 systems, one of which apparently was Mon Calamari, who paid nicely for him, enough for me to purchase Slave 1). I was in hot pursuit of Han Solo when another guy snuck out the win, the rat bastid.

All in all, a fun, fast game. Took a little over an hour and a half to play after setup and learning the rules. Highly recommend!

What are other people playing these days?

Bac0n dusted off Blood Rage yesterday, and we had a Viking themed game day, complete with robust beers, tasty food, and, well, Steve wore a kilt, so whatever.

I started getting evil looks from everyone since my score started taking off. Got to the point that I think I might be banned from playing it again.... ;-)

Hahaha we just need to get it to the table more often so we don’t forget those little things called quests. I was too preoccupied with getting cool monsters on the board and fighting and totally forgot all about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is kinda neat - the fine folks at PubMeeple have created an engine that takes a list of games (or books or songs or whatever) that you input, and asks you a series of which would you rather play questions to determine how they rank in terms of your favorites. Cooler still, if you have your collection listed on BoardGameGeek.com (which I do), then the engine will suck that list right in for you. Anywho, here's what it has for my top ten favorite games at the moment, and I must say, it's pretty spot on.

10 Viticulture Essential Edition
    [
    ]

9 Lords of Hellas
    [
    ]

8 Tokaido
    [
    ]

7 Joking Hazard
    [
    ]

6 PARKS
    [
    ]

5 Rising Sun
    [
    ]

4 Western Legends
    [
    ]

3 Mansions of Madness: Second Edition
    [
    ]

2 Scythe
    [
    ]

1 Cthulhu: Death May Die
    [
    ]

What are your favorites at the moment?
    Last edited by bac0n; 03-06-2020 at 09:44 PM.

Well, I finally broke my self imposed 'Not Buying Games Bac0n' owns rule.

Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition was $69 on Amazon, so I ordered that, Streets of Arkham and Beyond the Threshold expansions. And I'm seriously anxious to play Death May Die.

Awesome!

The game based on They Live! is live on KS and looks neat.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    The game based on They Live! is live on KS and looks neat.
    Looks kick-ass, but I have no less than five KS games backed that I haven't yet received, and I'll be backing Ankh (the spiritual sequel to Blood Rage and Rising Sun) on the 14th. After that, I really need to take a break from kickstarter.

I do like how the game incorporates special sunglasses as a gameplay element.

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    Looks kick-ass, but I have no less than five KS games backed that I haven't yet received, and I'll be backing Ankh (the spiritual sequel to Blood Rage and Rising Sun) on the 14th. After that, I really need to take a break from kickstarter.

I do like how the game incorporates special sunglasses as a gameplay element.
    What is Ankh?

Quote Quoting CMON
    Play as a god of ancient Egypt, competing to survive as society begins to forget the old ways, so that only you and your followers remain.

Build caravans, summon monsters, and convert followers in your quest to reign supreme in Ankh: Gods of Egypt. Deities, monsters, and the people of ancient Egypt have been lovingly reimagined and interpreted in beautiful illustrations and detailed miniatures, and players will truly feel like gods as they shake the very foundations of Egypt. All gameplay in Ankh, including combat, is streamlined and non-random. Compete and win solely on your godly wits alone.
    https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardg...nkh-gods-egypt

That sounds...very cool.

Backed the new Sandy Petersen game, Dinosaur 1944.

Looks like a lot of fun.

Dinosaurs and army men: sounds like a can’t miss to me...

After successfully beaming five moose strapped with explosives to the flying saucer, our interpret group was able to defeat Dagon on the last round.

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast