Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: lovejuice's top hundred novels

dissolved into molecules lovejuice's Avatar

lovejuice's top hundred novels

oh, boy. what am i gettin' myself into. this list is more a fun challenge to your truely rather than a representative of my taste. each entry'll be accompanied by a short paragraph or two. the higher the entry, the more well-thought out my comment is (or i hope).

the list includes only novels. no collection of short stories. no play. no poetry. no non-fiction. also to make the comparison more relevant, i will list only books that i read in original or translated english. (therefore, no wuxia. sorry, gu long.)

some of the books listed here was read...like...a decade ago, so again, the list represents my own taste in literature as much as...the president of the united states represents his people.

100. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Agatha Christie)
    99. Wide Sargasso Sea (Jean Rhys)
    98. Of Love and Other Demons (Gabriel Garcia Marquez)
    97. The Drawing of the Three (Stephen King)
    96. The Alchemist (Paulo Coelho)
    95. The Hearing Trumpet (Leonora Carrington)
    94. The French Lieutenant's Woman (John Fowles)
    93. The Angel Maker (Stefan Brijs)
    92. The Magic Toyshop (Angela Carter)
    91. A Personal Matter (Kenzaburo Oe)

90. Things Fall apart (Chinua Achebe)
    89. More than Human (Theodore Sturgeon)
    88. Jude the Obscure (Thomas Hardy)
    87. Ham on Rye (Charles Bukowski)
    86. Speaker for the Dead (Orson Scott Card)
    85. The Eyre Affair (Jasper Fforde)
    84. The Inheritance of Loss (Kiran Desai)
    83. The Power and the Glory (Graham Greene)
    82. Taken at the Flood (Agatha Christie)
    81. A Word Child (Iris Murdoch)

80. Waterland (Graham Swift)
    79. Guerrillas (V.S. Naipaul)
    78. The Handmaid's Tale (Margaret Atwood)
    77. Ender's Game (Orson Scott Card)
    76. Marcovaldo (Italo Calvino)
    75. A Tale of Two Cities (Charles Dickens)
    74. The Perks of Being a Wallflower (Stephen Chbosky)
    73. Doctor Faustus (Thomas Mann)
    72. Surfacing (Margaret Atwood)
    71. Henry and Cato (Iris Murdoch)

70. The Wings of the Doves (Henry James)
    69. The Manticore (Robertson Davies)
    68. Little Green Men (Christopher Buckley)
    67. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Douglas Adams)
    66. Under the Net (Iris Murdoch)
    65. Wuthering Heights (Emily Bronte)
    64. The Grapes of Wrath (John Steinbeck)
    63. The Fountainhead (Ayn Rand)
    62. The Melancholy of Resistance (Laszlo Krasznahorkai)
    61. Foucault's Pendulum (Umberto Eco)

60. The Zero (Jess Walter)
    59. Blindness (Jose Saramago)
    58. Two Serious Ladies (Jane Bowles)
    57. Shanghai Baby (Wei Hui)
    56. The Glass Bead Game (Hermann Hesse)
    55. Of Human Bondage (W. Somerset Maugham)
    54. The Sacred and Profane Love Machine (Iris Murdoch)
    53. The Reivers (William Faulkner)
    52. The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana (Umberto Eco)
    51. The Remains of the Day (Kazuo Ishiguro)

50. The Adventures of Augie March (Saul Bellow)
    49. The Plague (Albert Camus)
    48. Wise Children (Angela Carter)
    47. The Blind Assassin (Margaret Atwood)
    46. Fifth Business (Robertson Davies)
    45. If on a Winter's Night a Traveller (Italo Calvino)
    44. A Clockwork Orange (Anthony Burgess)
    43. Darkness at Noon (Arthur Koestler)
    42. Bel Canto (Ann Patchett)
    41. The Bell (Iris Murdoch)

40. Dangerous Liaisons (Choderlos De Laclos)
    39. Flatland (Edwin A. Abbott)
    38. The Picture of Dorian Gray (Oscar Wilde)
    37. The Scarlet Letter (Nathaniel Hawthorne)
    36. The Baron in the Trees (Italo Calvino)
    35. Fahrenheit 451 (Ray Bradbury)
    34. Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said (Philip K. Dick)
    33. Ubik (Philip K. Dick)
    32. To Kill a Mockingbird (Harper Lee)
    31. The Great Gatsby (F. Scott Fitzgerald)

30. Nights at the Circus (Angela Carter)
    29. Immortality (Milan Kundera)
    28. Steppenwolf (Herman Hesse)
    27. Siddhartha (Herman Hesse)
    26. Ragtime (E.L. Doctorow)
    25. The Good Apprentice (Iris Murdoch)
    24. The Man Who Was Thursday (G.K. Chesterton)
    23. Return to Laughter (Elenore Smith Bowen)
    22. A Confederacy of Dunces (John Kennedy Toole)
    21. I, Claudius (Robert Graves)

20. The Little Prince (Antoine De Saint-Exupery)
    19. Life is Elsewhere (Milan Kundera)
    18. The Joke (Milan Kundera)
    17. Narcissus and Goldmund (Herman Hesse)
    16. Baudolino (Umberto Eco)
    15. Life of Pi (Yann Martel)
    14. The Blithedale Romance (Nathaniel Hawthorne)
    13. The Nice and the Good (Iris Murdoch)
    12. To the Lighthouse (Virginia Woolf)
    11. The Tenth Man (Graham Greene)

10. Kiss of the Spider Woman (Manuel Puig)
    9. Crime and Punishment (Fyodor Dostoevsky)
    8. A Fairly Honourable Defeat (Iris Murdoch)
    7. The Book of Laughter and Forgetting (Milan Kundera)
    6. The Idiot (Fyodor Dostoevsky)
    5. The Infernal Desire Machine of Doctor Hoffman (Angela Carter)
    4. The Name of the Rose (Umberto Eco)
    3. The Sea, the Sea (Iris Murdoch)
    2. Lolita (Vladimir Nabokov)
    1. The Unbearable Lightness of Being (Milan Kundera)
    "Over analysis is like the oil of the Match-Cut machine." KK2.0

100. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd

This reminds me of Davis's list in which he places Armageddon at the beginning. You want to include some book/movie so much that it'll always stay right there, no matter how many more are added to the list. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd is such a book. While I'm a Christie's fan and have no problem placing her among my twenty favorite authors, it's harder to praise any of her work with the same regard. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, as her most famous work, is included to make a statement how awesome I think she is.

99. Wide Sargasso Sea

A theme that will be observed over and over again is that I am illiterate about anything written before the birth of Quantum Theory (14 December 1900). I have missed out on Jane Eyre and many classic literatures. From time to time, I have teased with this idea of venturing into the unknown, and Wide Sargasso Sea is a result of that. Strictily speaking, it's written in 1966. A prequel to Jane Eyre, with more emphasis on postcolonialism and one black/caribbean character from Bronte's.

Wow - this has got to be hard to do.

I couldn't imagine putting together a list like this.

Good job, man. Looking forward to reading it.

Will you include novellas?

I don't think I have even read a hundred books. That is sad.

Quote Quoting Daniel Davis (view post)
    Will you include novellas?
    unfortunately, no. :| trust me, you don't know how much i want to include The Langoliers.

Well, I think lovejuice reads like 100 novels a month.

I mean this more than I've meant it about any other list that has ever been on Match Cut: I will use this list for recommendations.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    I can't wait lovejuice. Fantastic undertaking, and I'm really excited to see the results.

98. Of Love and Other Demons.

I have this strange relationship with marquez. Never like any of his novels, but my best shorts are stolen from his. In a way, I feel like I'm in his debt. The problem's I don't think his style very appropriate for a novel. The shorter his book is, the better it'll be. Of Love and Other Demons, a merely hundred-something-paged, is his only book I manage to like. Or at least, I have yet founded a way to steal, bastardize and "improve" it. :P

97. The Drawing of the Three

King was my favorite author. I love to say, it's not me who changes, it's him who picks up this funny idea only five-hundred-paged novels are worth writing. Unfortunately I read most of his novels in translated thai, so The Drawing of the Three, which is lean, mean and awesome, is his sole representer in this list. But take heed, ye of genre literature. There'll be more sci-fi to come.

Have you read Chronicle of a Death Foretold? Really a striking little novel by Marquez, and might be my favorite of his, though I'm pretty limited.

96. The Alchemist

Sorry, KF, but better here than any higher, right? Let's just say, I think of Coelho as a self-help, spiritual writer than a novelist. The Alchemist, if nothing else, is a good merge of these two different genres. It's dreamy, optimistic (a rare quality on this list). Can't say it's actually help me into a better person. It gives me a better chance with a cute girl who recommends me this book though. :lol:

95. The Hearing Trumpet

Now, this is interesting. Name me a surrealist painter. Easy, right? A surrealist film-maker. Not too hard for you guys. Now a surrealist novelist. I'll be surprised if anyone can give me more than five. A novel that contains an out-of-ordinary event is mostly categorized as either fantasy, fabulist, postmodern or magical realism. This leaves surrealist as a backwater genre.

The Hearing Trumpet is a rare surrealist literature. Probably the finest one too. (Even better than Breton's, the father of the genre.) Reading it gives a taste not too different from admiring a Dali's, an Ernst's, a Magritte's, or better yet, a Carrington's. It's a rare experience that I cherish, and even if the book is flawed, it's still worth its place on this list.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    Have you read Chronicle of a Death Foretold? Really a striking little novel by Marquez, and might be my favorite of his, though I'm pretty limited.
    not yet, but I still would love to. his only other books i have read is one hundred year of solitude and the general in his labyrinth.

I seem to be the only one who hated The Alchemist, so I won't begrudge you putting it on your list. Especially since it helped you with the lady.

94. The French Lieutenant's Woman

Again we're back to this theme of my ignorance on classic literatures. In The French Lieutenant's Woman, Fowles plays with the convention of the 19th century and then sprinkles it with enough postmodernism. (The novel has not one, not two but three endings.) I can only imagine how much more fun it would have been if I were more familiar with the work of Bronte, Austen and Dickens. The book's biggest achievement is it propels me to read more classic, some of which will appear later on.

93. The Angel Maker

I can't recommend this book enough for people who's into gothic literature. As much as The French Lieutenant's Woman is an odd to Bronte, Brijs's novel is to Shelley. The hero is called Victor Hoppe. (No point for guessing whom he refers to.) A troubled genius. A religious man who loves the Son but has some score to set with the Father. one day he returns to the village of his childhood bringing with him mysterious triplet.

It'll be nice to have with you while reading this book a checklist on "gothic literature" and see how many The Angel Maker fulfills.

Have you seen the film version of The French Lieutenant's Woman? It was pretty good, and it added an extra layer of postmodern cleverness.
    I am impatient of all misery in others that is not mad. Thou should'st go mad, blacksmith; say, why dost thou not go mad? How can'st thou endure without being mad? Do the heavens yet hate thee, that thou can'st not go mad?

lists and reviews

Quote Quoting lovejuice (view post)

97. The Drawing of the Three

King was my favorite author. I love to say, it's not me who changes, it's him who picks up this funny idea only five-hundred-paged novels are worth writing. Unfortunately I read most of his novels in translated thai, so The Drawing of the Three, which is lean, mean and awesome, is his sole representer in this list. But take heed, ye of genre literature. There'll be more sci-fi to come.
    Probably my favorite of the DT series. Such a fantastic read; it's like a non-stop build, with some incredible payoff.

Incredible undertaking, lovejuice.

I've already added "The Hearing Trumpet" to my Amazon wish list
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

92. The Magic Toyshop

Some of you might have a vague recollection of my top ten authors. It should come as no surprise then this list contains a share amount of work by those titans. Carter's one such. The Magic Toyshop is her second novel. By itself, the book's very much flawed; the ending is too abrupt and predictable. Still it's quite a pleasure to observe the novel of budding Carter. It contains enough motives to conceivably give birth to such masterpieces appear later on in this list.

Oh, and did I mention it has an underaged girl being violated by a swan puppet.

91. A Personal Matter

Upon compiling the list, a shocking surprise appears to me that A Personal Matter is the only book by a real Japanese author. (Tell you that so you don't have to hold your breath for Murakami.) How can that be, considered I'm such a big fan of the culture? Is it because I've read most Japanese novels in thai translation? Could be. Or perhaps it reflects the reading culture of Japan is more visual based than texual.

I confess to not remember anything much about A Personal Matter. Yes, it's quite good. About a relationship among a father, his deformed son, a wife and a few potential mistresses. I have to soon pick up more Oe's.

Quote Quoting Melville (view post)
    Have you seen the film version of The French Lieutenant's Woman? It was pretty good, and it added an extra layer of postmodern cleverness.
    that sounds wonderful. I have to check it out.

Love this thread--some initial reactions.

94. The French Lieutenant's Woman
    <3 <3 <3

93. The Angel Maker
    Ooo, looks interesting, putting this on my to read list!

92. The Magic Toyshop

Oh, and did I mention it has an underaged girl being violated by a swan puppet.
    Is this an allusion to the poem "Leda and the Swan" by Yeats? Or the greek myth of Zeus seducing/raping Leda? For me, it seems slightly less creepy if it's based on other literature. I hope it is. I like Carter.

Quote Quoting thefourthwall (view post)
    Is this an allusion to the poem "Leda and the Swan" by Yeats? Or the greek myth of Zeus seducing/raping Leda? For me, it seems slightly less creepy if it's based on other literature. I hope it is. I like Carter.
    more likely, the second one. i don't recall yeats mentioned. imo, with carter, the creepier, the better.

90. Things Fall Apart

A typical way to read Things Fall Apart is as the story about the colonization of Ibo tribes by the big, bad European. The indigenous way of life is destroyed, and Okonkwo, the strong man, is falling apart. Yet to read it like this is to ignore the fact that the Ibo are ruled by super-macho Frank Miller's type. The men tyrannize their own sick, young and female. With almost Marxist, poetic justice, the outcastes are the first who join the Christian church and later on overturn the society.

Colonization can't ever be justified, but neither is Manichean over-simplification. Till these days, I can't figure out which way are the more intended. Perhaps it doesn't matter.

89. More than Human

Not the sci-fi-ness of it that places More than Human here. The novel exemplifies fluid story-telling. I dare anyone who approaches this novel for the first time to guess what'll happen next. The more familiar you are with the convention, the more easily you'll be fooled. A character which holds a mark of a hero or a heroine simply disappears in the next chapter and opens way for a supporting cast to enter the limelight. Every new chapter is told from the perspective of a new character, so readers feel like starting a new novel every time. A less pretentious version of If on a Winter's Night a Traveler, you might say.

More Than Human is amazing. It's actually a collection though!

It's three connected novellas (I believe 2 of them were published separately, I know Baby Was Three was).

Does that disqualify it?

Just kidding.

Semantics aside, it is a great read. My 3rd favorite Sturgeon.

88. Jude the obscure

Finally we have a real 19th century. During my short high school education in the states, I managed to dodge a lot of classics, but ended up reading three Hardy's: this book, The Mayor of Casterbridge, and The Return of the Native. Funny that Tess of the d'Urbervilles is not among them. What I like about Jude the Obscure is how big a loser Jude is. He's likely the most shitted upon protagonist on this list. I as a reader don't feel for him that much though. A decent guy, but as if his only path to immortality is to be spited upon by the church.

87. Ham on Rye

Lone time ago, I came in here and bitched about how much I disliked South of No North. People still insisted I should give Bukowski another chance, so I did with Ham on Rye. Not only am I pleasantly surprised to find myself liking it, but also that Chinaski is here presented as a total loser who by the time the novel ends is still a virgin. Totally not the same Chinaski in South of No North.

I am even more baffled that South of No North was written before Ham on Rye. There is a big gap of ten years between South of No North and his next short story collection, Hot Water Music. Post Office, his first novel, is the only one predates South of No North.

So what's the moral of this story? I'm not sure. I leave the stage for anyone who's well-versed in the guy's work to elucidate.

nightmare investigator monolith94's Avatar
    Yeah, Okonkwo is pretty much a stone-cold bastard. Can't say that I care much for the novel, though.
    "Modern weapons can defend freedom, civilization, and life only by annihilating them. Security in military language means the ability to do away with the Earth."
    -Ivan Illich, Deschooling Society

i read Things Fall Apart twice. i like it more when i realize what a bastard Okonkwo is -- I catch that only through my second reading -- so i prefer the marxian interpretation to the colonial one.

but since you already know that, so perhaps further reading probably will not improve your feeling toward it.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast