Page 52 of 356 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 8878

Thread: Sangre, cuchillos, y tetas --- Horror Film Discussion

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    PS: After failing to enjoy this film, Martyrs, High Tension, and Them, I've done the prudent thing and removed Inside from my Netflix queue. Crazy Frenchmen.
    Yeah, I think I too have temporarily deboarded the French New Wave Horror train after three.

Frontier(s) sounds pretty unpleasant, though. I think you've put me off that one for a while.

Audition went slightly, just very slightly, down in my book. Its style is a little too dependent on repetitively composed static shots for my taste (although there is rhyme, reason, and dynamism, which is what is important). I now have some niggling problems with the hallucination sequence, which is the film's highlight sequence: it didn't bug me before, but now I can't helped but be irked by the logical lapses it deliberately takes to make as vague as possible what's real and what's imagined. Also, the insistence to put in every supporting character into the sequence diminished the potency of the secretary and wife's appearance (as the two women he's actually had sexual experiences with).
    The Act of Killing (Oppenheimer 13) - A
    Stranger by the Lake (Giraudie 12) - B
    American Hustle (Russell 13) - C+
    The Wolf of Wall Street (Scorsese 13) - C+
    Passion (De Palma 12) - B

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting Bosco B Thug (view post)
    Yeah, I think I too have temporarily deboarded the French New Wave Horror train after three.

Frontier(s) sounds pretty unpleasant, though. I think you've put me off that one for a while.
    I don't want to hate any of those flicks, obviously. Out of them all, Martyrs strikes me as the most worthwhile. But even that one was a mixed bag.

I don't want to hate any of those flicks, obviously. Out of them all, Martyrs strikes me as the most worthwhile. But even that one was a mixed bag.
    Yeah, pretty much agreed with this whole post.

pushing too many pencils Rowland's Avatar
    I like everything I've seen from the French New Wave, careful to steer clear of Frontier[s], which nobody seems to have liked. I really kinda loved Martyrs in particular, which strikes me as one of the most adventurous and uncompromised horror films of the '00s. Aja's The Hills Have Eyes was a fine effort as well.
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    The Long Riders (Hill) ***
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    Another 48 Hrs. (Hill) ***
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Besson) ***
    /Unknown/ (Collet-Serra) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

Gaw. The One Missed Call remake has to be the definition of a complete waste of time. It's almost awe-inspiring in its uselessness. Did I just watch an actual movie, really? Did they actually spend time, money, physical and mental effort, to make this? Was this more like a paid vacation for the actors considering they're working with nothing? It's all somewhat fascinating.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Bosco B Thug (view post)
    Gaw. The One Missed Call remake has to be the definition of a complete waste of time. It's almost awe-inspiring in its uselessness. Did I just watch an actual movie, really? Did they actually spend time, money, physical and mental effort, to make this? Was this more like a paid vacation for the actors considering they're working with nothing? It's all somewhat fascinating.
    Yes It's very very bad. Can't believe it wasn't a straight to DVD release.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Yes It's very very bad. Can't believe it wasn't a straight to DVD release.
    Ch'yah. It was just. soo. laaazy. and. boring! They did CG-animate a Jesus statue, though.

May was as good as I remembered. Not better, not worse. Exactly as good as I remembered. I'd forgotten how goddamn funny it is, and how amazing Bettis plays the lead role. She's enormously sympathetic, even towards the end, when she spirals down the drain of insanity. Sisto and Faris offer credible supporting turns, as people who know May's weird, but they kinda like that. Faris is especially fun with her obvious lesbian come-ons ("Want to come to my place and eat some melons?"). The "slashings" at the end are also admirable, as they're fast, vivid, and - most importantly - awfully sad.

The only misstep is the odd playing of the blind children sequence, where they suddenly begin behaving like brain-dead zombies, all fists and clenching, trying desperately to get their hands on May's friend - and the sound of shattered glass doesn't deter them from sticking their hands on the ground.

A-

Still one of my favorites of the decade.

pushing too many pencils Rowland's Avatar
    Alright, I've rented The Gravedancers, which I've read is believed by many to be the best After Dark release, and The Blair Witch Project, which will be my first viewing of the film in... almost a decade? Damn.
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    The Long Riders (Hill) ***
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    Another 48 Hrs. (Hill) ***
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Besson) ***
    /Unknown/ (Collet-Serra) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

Does not read Sutter Cane The Mike's Avatar
    Gravedancers was supposed to be good? Geez, it looked bad. I'm a fan of The Hamiltons and Dark Ride wasn't bad, but that's about it.
    The Mike

It's very very horrible, sir. It's one of those things we wish we could disinvent.

From Midnight, With Love - My Midnight Movie Blog of Justice!

Quote Quoting Rowland (view post)
    Alright, I've rented The Gravedancers, which I've read is believed by many to be the best After Dark release...
    Don't go into it thinking that being the best entry in a fairly crappy series is going to make it good. It's the only After Dark movie that I didn't feel the need to turn off after 30 minutes. Overrall, it's only OK, and the guy who directed it approached the ghosts in entirely the wrong manner. He wanted to show them as much as possible, only problem is the make-up isn't all THAT great. Certainly not good enough to parade around in front of the camera under full lighting. The movie is not scary in the least, and the whole thing kind of comes crashing down in the CG-saturated ending.

At least you didn't pick up The Hamiltons, which made me want to kick in my television in addition to turning it off after 30 minutes.
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

Quote Quoting The Mike (view post)
    I'm a fan of The Hamiltons ...
    Oh, Mike, Mike, Mike. :|

Watching the Friday the 13th remake, again.

Sometime's you just need some of the 'ol ultra violence.

Hmm, maybe Clockwork Orange next.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Slightly (one bottle of wine) inebriated thoughts in regards to the F13 remake:

Zombie's Halloween is far superior to it, the Chainsaw remakes are better, but F13 still is entertaining. I always do enjoy Jason killing people, and, damn, there is quite the set of NATURAL boobies in that flick.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Glad to see you liked these ones. Also, the more I view Caligari, the more I love it.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts about this one. I think it's the best post-Scream "slasher" movie, even if it's not really one.
    I was surprised I didn't like Final Destination more, I thought I would at least be entertained by it strange premise and potential laugh factor. I watched it with my sisters, and we just couldn't get into it. Though elaborate, I didn't find the kills shocking or interesting, perhaps because they've been overdone by the time I've got to this film. I just thought it was enormously bland. Then again, I didn't like Scream until about the third viewing.
    Follow me on Twitter

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    Slightly (one bottle of wine) inebriated thoughts in regards to the F13 remake:

Zombie's Halloween is far superior to it, the Chainsaw remakes are better, but F13 still is entertaining. I always do enjoy Jason killing people, and, damn, there is quite the set of NATURAL boobies in that flick.
    I saw the Friday the 13th remake in the theater this year, and actually enjoyed it. Having booze handly would be an additional plus, btw.

Oh and I asked my friend, and here's our current Halloween lineup:

*The Omen (1976 version, of course)
    *Friday the 13th: Part 3 in 3D! (1982)
    *Creepshow (1982)
    *Children of the Corn (1984)
    *Hellraiser (1987)

Its about time I watched more 80s horror, anyways.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

[REC] -- 8/10
    Some of the characters' actions were beyond stupid, but overall I really enjoyed it. There was some very clever editing.

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Hellraiser is one of my favorite horror movies. I really need to revisit it.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Quote Quoting Spun Lepton (view post)
    [REC] -- 8/10
    Some of the characters' actions were beyond stupid, but overall I really enjoyed it. There was some very clever editing.

Did the final 5-10 minutes of night-vision scare the fuck out of you?

Jen and I were gripping each other so hard we left marks on each others' arms.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Did the final 5-10 minutes of night-vision scare the fuck out of you?

Jen and I were gripping each other so hard we left marks on each others' arms.
    That was the first time in a long time that I was holding my breath in fear. Fuckin' loved it.

I just beat House of the Dead: Overkill on the first story mode. So, I'm gonna give Planet Terror another shot right now....

I just beat House of the Dead: Overkill on the first story mode. So, I'm gonna give Planet Terror another shot right now....

:lol: Did you like "Overkill"? That's probably Jen's all-time favorite game. She's become a zombie-blastin' mastah!
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

That is one of the few games I've managed to beat, Scar. I can't believe how much fun that was. My shootin' hand was dead after the first hour or so, but damn if it wasn't fun.
    My Mom - 10

That was the first time in a long time that I was holding my breath in fear. Fuckin' loved it.

Woo hoo, Jim. That's how I felt too. It's such a wonderful rush.
    My Mom - 10

Quote Quoting Spun Lepton (view post)
    [REC] -- 8/10

Which actions bugged you? I'm curious.
    My Mom - 10