Page 345 of 347 FirstFirst ... 245295335343344345346347 LastLast
Results 8,601 to 8,625 of 8653

Thread: Sangre, cuchillos, y tetas --- Horror Film Discussion

Quote Quoting Spun Lepton (view post)
    I had this on my Letterboxd watchlist for a while, but then removed it. I'll add it back.
    I liked it but not everyone did when Joe Bob selected it for The Last Drive In. It definitely is a slow burn movie.
    Blog!

Now, here I go again, I see
    The crystal vision
    I keep my visions to myself
    It's only me, who wants to
    Wrap around your dreams and
    Have you any dreams you'd like to sell
    Dreams of loneliness

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Horror Bar has really caught on.

It played Midsommar yesterday for "May Day."

When I drove home in the evening, the line was out the door and down the block to get in. Being that there aren't too many bars around there, people didn't go elsewhere. Crazy. Glad it's doing well.
    Hah Midsommer is a very dividing movie that people either love or hate. I loved it.
    Blog!

The crystal vision
    Dreams of loneliness

Did anyone else here see last year's Relic?

We watched it last night and there were some points we are both fuzzy on. Would love to discuss.
    I know writers who use subtext and they're all cowards.

The Conjuring - Second viewing. Haven't seen it in years. I raised my rating by 1 point, because there is plenty to admire here. Terrific world-building, interesting characters, and some masterful scares. I still don't like that it claims to be a true story. 9/10

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Did anyone else here see last year's Relic?

We watched it last night and there were some points we are both fuzzy on. Would love to discuss.
    Did you search?

http://matchcut.artboiled.com/showth...ighlight=Relic

Just Watched
    Nothing Until Black Widow

Currently Playing | Played
    Tom Claney's Breakpoint ★★★½

TV Show Currently Watching | Watched
    Mandalorian (Favreau) ★★½
    Jack Ryan (S2) ★★½

Currently Reading | Read
    Howard Stern Comes Again (Stern)

Thoughts / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies

I did not. Thanks!

Last night we watched The Wolf of Snow Hollow.

Written by, directed by and starring Jim Cummings. It is also Robert Forster's last film.

And boy it was good.

Will not be everyone's cup of tea. It is heavily dialogue based, and while it is a horror comedy, it is not at all the mixture of horror and bust a gut, laugh out loud comedy that we typically associate with the genre mashup.

If it weren't for the regularly changing sets and locations, I would have said this seemed to be based on a stage play. It is 100% character work through clever dialogue and strong performances. The central werewolf whodunnit mystery is echoed by the main character's alcoholism and semi regular breakdowns.

The werewolf scenes are sparse but awesome. There are a couple of shots that are INCREDIBLE. Really iconic werewolf images. Practical effects, cool use of lighting and shadows. Great stuff.

Not everyone is going to enjoy this one. The humor is very subdued and quietly sarcastic. Think the first 15-20 minutes of The Dead Don't Die. Another one I'd liken it to is the similarly underseen Some Guy Who Kills People.

Really enjoyed it. Look forward to watching it again, and it will likely make its way into our lineup of regularly watched werewolf movies.

Finally got my hands on a Region 2 BluRay of The Company of Wolves.

First off...how have I never seen this before?

Second...how is this movie not talked about more? I rarely if ever see it in "best werewolf movies" lists, or if I do it's either near the bottom or an honorable mention.

This was fantastic.

Constantly beautiful to look at. Striking images everywhere, and even the more mundane shots are framed so nicely.

It also had some killer werewolf transformations. Sure, some of it is a bit clunky (particularly the creepy long tongue stuff), but Stephen Rea's transformation and the overall concept of the wolves kind of horrifically birthing themselves out of peoples' mouths was inspired and effectively gross. Rea's transformation in particular has a decidedly Hellraiser vibe to it. Very wet and icky.

There were a couple of points where symbolism was lost on me (the egg babies...what?), but I was always taken with what was going on on screen.

Terence Stamp showing up for a 2 minute cameo as The Devil was great. In fact, the cast overall was brilliant. Can't believe the main girl Rosaleen was only 12.

I like Interview With the Vampire just fine, but it needed more of this dreamlike, fairy tale book quality I think.

Wow. Kind of loved this.

FINALLY watched Zulawski's Possession through interlibrary loan. I know this movie has its fans on the board, and you can now count me among them. Never seen anything like it.

Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    FINALLY watched Zulawski's Possession through interlibrary loan. I know this movie has its fans on the board, and you can now count me among them. Never seen anything like it.
    My favorite part of that entire film is knowing that the director pitched it to the producers as "a movie where a woman has sex with an octopus."

Totally nuts. Lynch is the only comparison I can think of at the moment. I'm glad I didn't know much about it going in -- after an hour I couldn't believe the movie had more in it, but boy howdy it sure did.

I really need to see The Company of Wolves. Also Possession is great and disturbing.

The Wind (1986) can be grouped into the many 1980s slasher films that would work better as a short flick, seeing as the last act drags on too much. Still the rest of the movie works well enough and Meg Foster is an easy final woman to root for. Particularly since she's smart enough to know what not to do. I also dug the setting and at least in this case it makes sense why the phone doesn't work at times or at least explains the lack of people around her. My rating of an 8/10 may be too high but I enjoyed the film's use of color and the scenery and I think it's an effective enough horror thriller.
    Last edited by DFA1979; 05-08-2021 at 11:17 PM.
    Blog!

The crystal vision
    Dreams of loneliness

Forgot to mention, watched Child's Play 2 the other night-

It was fine. A few good kills. I'm never going to love Chucky the way I do Jason, Freddy, Michael, Pinhead, etc.

I'd only ever seen the first movie, so going to make my way through the series.

I'm honestly most interested in getting to the comedies later in the series. I think that tone starts with Bride?

Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum is basically South Korea's answer to Grave Encounters. But better in a few ways.

There are some shit-your-pants scary moments in it. Seriously chilling stuff.

Nothing brilliant or ground breaking as a film, lots of clichés and expected moments. But it is raised higher by some sheet terror, especially in the last 1/4.

I gave Gonjiam 7/10 and agree that it's better than Grave Encounters. Looking at my Letterboxd review, though, suggests I wasn't scared by anything.

I've said it before. I'm a real sucker for found footage horror. You can generate some big-ass scares on tiny budgets if you know what you're doing. Gonjiam Haunted Asylum doesn't have any big-ass scares, but it does have numerous fun moments. The setting is legitimately creepy, but it does feel like there were a few missed opportunities. The stain shaped like a person in the shower room could have been used to better effect, for example.

It's pretty fun seeing the asshole characters get their comeuppance, but that's always fun in a horror movie. When the ghosts make their appearances, they are relatively creepy, but I wouldn't go beyond that. The story is nothing you've never seen before, although it does remain engaging throughout.

Yeah I'm gonna be that guy: Night of the Demon (1957)
    Blog!

The crystal vision
    Dreams of loneliness

Child's Play 3 was fine I guess.

The ending and its literal fun house ride climax was the best part.

Andy has to be one of the most unnecessarily "shit on by life" characters I've ever seen. Jesus, give this kid a break.

Looking forward to Bride and onward, as I understand that is when the series becomes fully tongue in cheek. Which interests me a lot more, because the entire concept is so goofy.

So far, the first is the best. But this is by far the weakest of all 80s/90s slasher series'.

Bride is by far my favorite.

Son of Chucky is damn awful, though.

Quote Quoting Spun Lepton (view post)
    Son of Chucky is damn awful, though.
    Seed of Chucky?

Seed of Chucky?
    Yeah I haven't liked any of them after Bride.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Having just watched them all in a row last Halloween I can confirm that Cult of Chucky is the best (outside of the original) and Curse of Chucky is the absolute worst. Seed of Chucky is second worst.

My review of Child's Play 3:

Yikes. The only interesting thing in this movie is how they were to explain the ending events from the 2nd film to this film. Everything else is a bore. You literally don't see Chucky kill a single person in the entire movie. He's more of a Dennis the Menace type character. The trash man got his arm cut off *cut to people screaming*, he scared someone who had a heart attack, and forced someone to shoot someone else. We never see him physically kill the security guard at the amusement park. I guess he threw a grenade that killed someone and ran away?... but i expect more... slashing.

Edit: Oh I forgot about the barber. He definitely gets killed by Chucky.

Gore-2/10 -
    Acting-3/10
    Nudity-0/10
    Story- 2/10
    Cheese-6/10
    -----------------------------
    "Don't fuck with the chuck"?

Just Watched
    Nothing Until Black Widow

Currently Playing | Played
    Tom Claney's Breakpoint ★★★½

TV Show Currently Watching | Watched
    Mandalorian (Favreau) ★★½
    Jack Ryan (S2) ★★½

Currently Reading | Read
    Howard Stern Comes Again (Stern)

Thoughts / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies

Apparently the latest one was pretty good. Cult of Chucky.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Having just watched them all in a row last Halloween I can confirm that Cult of Chucky is the best (outside of the original) and Curse of Chucky is the absolute worst. Seed of Chucky is second worst.
    I haven't seen Cult yet.

Seed of Chucky?
    Yes, nicely done. I was ... uh ... testing you.