Page 322 of 356 FirstFirst ... 222272312320321322323324332 ... LastLast
Results 8,026 to 8,050 of 8878

Thread: Sangre, cuchillos, y tetas --- Horror Film Discussion

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Studio theatrical releases. Not direct to video/DVD stuff.

You know what would be fun, if we were able to record a match cut audio commentary track.
    That would be awesome! But in the meantime you need to check out skitch's podcast

I want to assign homework assignments to everyone on MC so they can experience what I experienced.
    I play that game weekly, I'm good lol

Happy Halloween (the morning after!)

I scared kids last night.

I reward them with the big candy bars.
    Heh, found footage. Alright.

I liked the new Child's Play. It was good fun.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Horror is like any other genre. There's the good, the bad and the ugly. Maybe I just lower my expectations because of modern cinema. I donno.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

- - - - -

Hahahahahahahahaha.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

hahahahahaha

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    bWHAHAHHA.

Tell me more.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

MadMan what the hell is your avatar? ��

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    After Hours

- - - - -
    bWHAHAHHA.

Tell me more.
    Oh dude where to start.

I can't really gauge it accurately because I knew going in that it would suck, so I spent the first 40 minutes or so just laughing my ass off. I have to admit I was entertained by the so-bad-its-goodness. Everything about it was awkward and cheesy and desperate.

After that, it got tedious because they ramped up the violence and the film started taking itself waaaaay too seriously (which was a mistake, because the whole thing is so ridiculous why not at least have some fun with it?).

I liked part of the premise --- the idea of this evil spectre making people go crazy --- but it's implemented in the dumbest way possible.

I also liked the attempt at mythology, even though they fumbled everything about it. Every other scene, especially in the back half, is wall-to-wall exposition but the movie never bothers to explain its own details, like all that shit with gold coins and the ghost trains.

The opening has some really bizarre editing and lensing choices and made the film look super-amateurish. I burst out laughing every time they cut to what was obviously a super-long lens that distorted the image because oooh spooky horror!

And OMFG the acting. The dialogue is atrocious and horribly stiff but holy shit these were genuinely some of the worst performances I've seen by people who were (probably?) making guild scale. (How are Faye Dunaway and Carrie Ann Moss in this? They couldn't have been paid much.)

Like, literally every scene I was almost awestruck because the actors kept outdoing each other in terrible line readings and seriously inappropriate expressions. The lead dude kept smiling as if he were trying to be affable and charming but it came across as weird and creepy.

And the creature! Jesus. Whose idea was it to get Doug Jones and make him up like a desiccated old man wearing a ratty black bathrobe? How was that supposed to be scary? He looked like an undead edgelord.

They tried to combine supernatural, psychological, and slasher horror and failed miserably. What was all that shit about "oh, noes, if you say his name or think about him, he gets stronger! he can hear you and he'll get closer"? When the Bye Bye Man shows up, he never actually does anything! He just stands around and points at people. It doesn't matter if he's in the scene or not. People still freak out, hallucinate, and try to kill or commit suicide. So wtf is the point of that character?

How the hell did this movie get released into 2,200 theaters? This was extremely close to being an Ed Wood level production, but with a decent budget.

I looked it up on RT afterwards and received another big WTF. Critics from The New York Times, The Hollywood Reporter, Variety, LA Times, Indiewire, New York Newsday, The Ringer, and Uproxx ALL gave it a "FRESH" rating. We're talking about people like Glenn Kenny, Katie Walsh, Owen Gleiberman, Keith Phipps, and K Austin Collins. Like, are they fucking kidding?

This is a terrible movie. It's not well directed, shot, written or acted. The story is severely dumb and gets dumber with each passing minute. So how they hell can anyone writing for a legit outlet recommend it? I mean, ffs, even the fly-by-night horror blogs said it sucked and went thumbs down. I saw this on Netflix and I still feel cheated, like these fucking critics should reimburse me for time spent.

ETA: On the bright side, it's pretty well paced. 90 minutes and it never dragged. And I did have a good time with the opening, and if pressed I'll admit that the movie is consistent --- it's insanely bad all the way through. I wouldn't have believed the ending, with the two brothers in a crisis moment and the little girl peeing in the bushes (?!!?) if I hadn't seen it myself.

TL;DR: Naturally, Scar, Meg, and Skitch should see this movie immediately. Don't let me die alone, guys. I need to pass the curse along and be free of it!
    Last edited by Irish; 11-02-2019 at 06:17 PM.

I'm so happy I'm now not the only one who say through it.

Like, what was the deal with the coins in the drawers? Or the train? Or the hound? None of it made any sense.

And if the crazy guy at the beginning of the film needed to kill everyone who already knew about the BYE BYE MAN, otherwise, the BYE BYE Man would kill them, isn't that redundant? If he doesn't want anyone to know about it, then why did he write it in the bottom of a drawer? And how did his wife survive? NONE OF IT MAKES ANY SENSE!!!

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

- - - - -
    I'm so happy I'm now not the only one who say through it.

Like, what was the deal with the coins in the drawers? Or the train? Or the hound? None of it made any sense.

And if the crazy guy at the beginning of the film needed to kill everyone who already knew about the BYE BYE MAN, otherwise, the BYE BYE Man would kill them, isn't that redundant? If he doesn't want anyone to know about it, then why did he write it in the bottom of a drawer? And how did his wife survive? NONE OF IT MAKES ANY SENSE!!!
    LOL YEP!!!

My favorite part was the police interrogation scene between Carrie Ann Moss and the lead actor.

He refuses to tell her what's going on, because the premise prohibits him from saying the name "Bye Bye Man," but the character is too fucking stupid to describe the situation in literally ANY OTHER WAY. Like, why couldn't he just say, "There's an evil spirit that's haunting us, making us see things, and causing us to lose our minds and kill each other"?

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    What Grouchy said. I found that pic on Twitter or Instagram. I love that shot. I really wonder why it's not a Criterion already.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Irish and Duke have sold me on seeing The Bye Bye Man haha.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

TL;DR: Naturally, Scar, Meg, and Skitch should see this movie immediately. Don't let me die alone, guys. I need to pass the curse along and be free of it!
    My co-host watched it. Just coming off horrorthon, I'm gooooooooood on that. I will sometime, but I need a week or two off of the garbage.

Watched Hellraiser 3: Hell on Earth last night for the first time in probably 15 years. It was the only main series entry missing from my collection until I found it in a budget set -absolutely barebones, doesn’t even have subs or widescreen.

And wow, what an awful movie. I swear even the embarrassing fourth film, Bloodline, is better. At least it isn’t so damned boring.

I tells ya, when a movie that was famously disowned by its director is better than yours, you gotta start the introspection a bit.

The three new Cenobytes (camera guy, CD guy, and...uhhh...booze guy?) are just dumb.

But the most troubling trend that it continues from the second film is giving Pinhead a bunch of Freddy-esque one liners after kills. It just doesn’t work with this universe and the tone of the films. Pinhead is damned iconic, but it’s startling how quickly he became a joke in his own films.

Awful stuff. Dumb, incoherent (why are the Cenobytes all trapped in an art project at the beginning???), horrid acting and writing, and the only possible saving grace it could have had (a cool finale with all the Cenobytes) never delivers.

The only thing I remember from that is the scene where they impale the guy on CDs. Such a time capsule moment.

Ugh. I just replaced the bathroom sink and plumbing. I'm not in the mood for crap. Remind me after a few more beers.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Huh I kind of like Hellraiser III. There is enough gory nonsense to keep me entertained.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Nah Hellraiser 3 is bad. My Letterboxed review

Uncut Version: Somehow, from the previous movie, Pinhead is trapped inside the pillar of souls. A sculpture that seemingly appears out of nowhere at an art exhibit. An owner of a nightclub buys the sculpture, and it causes people's heads to explode.

I like the setting of this movie; takes place in the heart of NYC. Story revolves around a struggling reporter, Joey (Terry Farrell from Star Trek Deep Space Nine), trying to make it big as a news anchor but can't catch a break.

Acting, like the first two films, destroys the flow of this movie as does the the way the characters are introduced to the Hell that is Pinhead. Dialog is god awful. "I like boiling water it's a specialty of mine" is an actual line out of the film.

This film is mostly crap; except for the one scene where the sculpture comes alive and eats the skin off one of the nightclub owner's girls.

This movie also has the nightclub slaughter scene where Pinhead mows down everyone with chains.

Gore-7/10
    Acting-3/10
    Nudity-4/10
    Story-2/10
    Cheese-5/10
    -----------------------------
    So Bad It's Amazing Factor(0/10)

The last 5 movies getting a single star or lower.

1. Hellraiser 1987
    2. Hellraiser: Inferno 2000
    3. Hellbound: Hellraiser II 1988
    4. Hellraiser: Judgment 2018
    5. Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth 1992
    6. Hellraiser: Bloodline 1996
    7. Hellraiser: Hellworld 2005
    8. Hellraiser: Hellseeker 2002
    9. Hellraiser: Deader 2005
    10. Hellraiser: Revelations 2011

Duke, whether I agree with your opinion or not, I appreciate the way you rate a movie. Gives a good insight into the different aspects.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Duke, whether I agree with your opinion or not, I appreciate the way you rate a movie. Gives a good insight into the different aspects.
    Thanks, may I ask what specifically? Is it the rankings at the end? Because I only do that with horror franchises, or if I'm coming out with an 'Top 20 Best 80 Horror Film' list. I think we are due for another game.

Thanks, may I ask what specifically? Is it the rankings at the end? Because I only do that with horror franchises, or if I'm coming out with an 'Top 20 Best 80 Horror Film' list. I think we are due for another game.
    The gore, acting, nudity, cheese bits.

Producer
    A couple of Netflix Halloween-month watching:

Pyscho II (1983)

I would have seriously loved this back in my Blockbuster rental spree days. But even if the mix of original's baggage and 80's slasher style/plotting isn't wholly successful, the borderline-on-reverence obsession for Norman Bates, from both the filmmakers and other characters in the film, make for an engaging plot device. And Perkins is so good, not a character beat out of place more than 20 years later, that he elevates the rest of the film along with him. 7/10

Sleepy Hollow (1999)

Apart from Depp’s amusingly and hammily mannered Crane (whose scientific rigor is so set that he needs a few fainting spells before coming around on the supernatural), the story and characters are so simplistic as to verge on almost flatlining those production design and action scenes, which is quite an impressive feat. Still, it’s too gorgeous, supremely atmospheric, and even at times exciting that wandering around in this world for a couple of hours remains somewhat a pleasure. 6.5/10
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5