Page 3 of 356 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Sangre, cuchillos, y tetas --- Horror Film Discussion

Quote Quoting Rowland (view post)
    I haven't seen most of what the label has released, but I'm reasonably confident that this is the case. I did enjoy Reincarnation more than I anticipated however (one of Shimizu's stronger efforts), and I've heard good things about Mulberry Street, which I don't believe you liked IIRC.

Mulberry St. had a great first half hour, and characters that I found really likable and interesting.

Then it went down shit creek when the rat zombies came about. It really falls apart once the "horror" kicks in.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

A Long Way to Tipperary MacGuffin's Avatar
    Anybody see CerdÃ*'s other movies, one of them being Aftermath and the other Genesis, as I believe it is called? He might have one more, but I think these are all only this one DVD that's out. Anyways, they're supposed to be really artsy, but at the same time extremely morbid. I've been somewhat interested in seeing them, but since I've already seen Brakhage's The Act of Seeing With One's Own Eyes, I don't think I need to watch another movie that takes place in a morgue anytime soon.

The other night I watched Carpenter's Prince of Darkness for the second time. Originally, when I saw it a few years ago, I was underwhelmed. After this time around, however, my esteem for it has grown immensely. I think it features some of Carpenter's best horror imagery. I'm thinking specifically of stuff like the dream footage, the use of insects, and the mirror climax. I was also more interested this time around by his portrayal of evil as something tangible and even communicable, rather than as a spiritual force. I really miss horror movies like this that make use of trick photography (such as that used with the reverse flowing liquid, and the dimension within the mirror), instead of shoddy CGI.

I also watched Argento's Four Flies on Grey Velvet for the first time. I'd probably rank it well behind Deep Red, The Bird with Crystal Plumage, Tenebrae, and Suspiria. It was still quite a bit better than a lot of stuff Argento has done, especially the more recent film's of his I've seen.

Quote Quoting Killed_by_Smalls (view post)
    The other night I watched Carpenter's Prince of Darkness for the second time. Originally, when I saw it a few years ago, I was underwhelmed. After this time around, however, my esteem for it has grown immensely. I think it features some of Carpenter's best horror imagery. I'm thinking specifically of stuff like the dream footage, the use of insects, and the mirror climax. I was also more interested this time around by his portrayal of evil as something tangible and even communicable, rather than as a spiritual force. I really miss horror movies like this that made use of trick photography (such as that used with the reverse flowing liquid, and the dimension within the mirror), instead of shoddy CGI.
    Right on. It's a great flick. Tons of atmosphere. I really like this film's story, it's very interesting.

Props on your av as well.

nightmare investigator monolith94's Avatar
    Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Mulberry St. had a great first half hour, and characters that I found really likable and interesting.

Then it went down shit creek when the rat zombies came about. It really falls apart once the "horror" kicks in.
    Rat zombies??? And to think that you saw them in Mulberry Street!
    "Modern weapons can defend freedom, civilization, and life only by annihilating them. Security in military language means the ability to do away with the Earth."
    -Ivan Illich, Deschooling Society

What do you guys think of The Mothman Prophecies?

I've seen it twice now, and I really like it. Something about it, perhaps its thick atmosphere, really creeps me out.

Plus, it has an amazing score by tomandandy, the premier soundtrack-smiths of today.

Quote Quoting Daniel Davis (view post)
    Right on. It's a great flick. Tons of atmosphere. I really like this film's story, it's very interesting.

Props on your av as well.

Thanks. I'm in Carpenter state of mind at the moment. I really should check out the rest of his filmography. I still need to see The Fog, Starman, Village of the Damned, and Dark Star.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting Killed_by_Smalls (view post)
    Thanks. I'm in Carpenter state of mind at the moment. I really should check out the rest of his filmography. I still need to see The Fog, Starman, Village of the Damned, and Dark Star.
    Starman is probably the only one out of that list that merits the word "need."

And Davis, I didn't really get into Mothman. I thought the style was too flashy and the story uninteresting. It's not awful, but it didn't strike me as anything special.

To tell you the truth, I often wonder why I like that film so much, or, more precisely, as much as I do. It's not that I think it is some brilliant horror flick, but when I first watched it I was expecting total crap, and it really surprised me. A lot of my admiration for the film comes from the amazing score - I think the music adds a fantastic and atmospheric layer to the film.

tomandandy are geniuses. Their music for this, Mean Creak, and The Hills Have Eyes is second to none. It's amazing how overlooked they are, especially when people keep praising composers who continue to use the same old big, tired symphonic approach to film scores.

I, too, really like The Mothman Prophecies, D. Richard Gere's best performance for sure - the scene towards the end on the phone still gets to me.

I thought it was effectively creepy and had a great conclusion.

Quote Quoting Russ (view post)
    You might also enjoy Wolfen.
    Saw this tonight. Don't think it really worked. I dug what it was going for (the werewolves as domestic terrorists angle, the use of Native American mythology, playing a werewolf story completely straight) but the execution is off, found the movie pretty flat dramatically and atmospherically. I think if say Carpenter had got a hold of this in the early 80s, there could've been a great film there. Edward James Olmos running naked on the beach is the best bit.

I was watching the Hammer horror film The Devil Rides Out last night.

Having seen a very good chunk of their filmography (I think I've seen about 2/3 of all their films) I must say this is a top-rung Hammer production.

Great movie.

I was watching the Hammer horror film The Devil Rides Out last night.

Having seen a very good chunk of their filmography (I think I've seen about 2/3 of all their films) I must say this is a top-rung Hammer production.

Great movie.
    Which other ones would you recommend, besides Dracula, Curse of Frankenstein, Devil, and Mummy?

I blind-bought Devil Rides Out years ago and was disappointed with it. I think my expectations were particularly high because I recall Buffaluffasaurus gushing over it.

Then again, I've always been under the opinion that the Brits are particularly bad at making a good scary movie. There are exceptions, of course, but the vast majority of them, to me, are dry and bland.
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    Which other ones would you recommend, besides Dracula, Curse of Frankenstein, Devil, and Mummy?

Paranoiac is a great one. It stars Oliver Reed as the psychotic, spoiled alcoholic son of a rich family. It's a great psychological thriller/horror with a very creepy finale.

The Curse of the Werewolf is pretty good. Another with Oliver Reed. I wouldn't say it's top tier Hammer, but it's a good little werewolf movie.

Another good one is Rasputin: The Mad Monk with Christopher Lee. While it certainly has horror elements and that trademark Hammer "gothic horror" feel, it's also one of the few Hammer films to tackle real history.

The Gorgon is decent, mostly because of Terence Fisher's direction (he's easily my favorite Hammer director).

Hammer fans - help me.

I've never really taken the time to get into the Hammer films. I've always kind of considered them the Shaw Brothers of the west, only they make horror films rather than kung fu films. So, I really to watch their films.

What are the 10-15 best?

I've seen a few, and the one I love the most is A Plague of Zombies.

Quote Quoting Daniel Davis (view post)
    Hammer fans - help me.

I've never really taken the time to get into the Hammer films. I've always kind of considered them the Shaw Brothers of the west, only they make horror films rather than kung fu films. So, I really to watch their films.

What are the 10-15 best?

I've seen a few, and the one I love the most is A Plague of Zombies.

These aren't in any particular order...

Horror of Dracula
    The Curse of Frankenstein
    The Devil Rides Out
    Dracula: Prince of Darkness
    The Hound of the Baskervilles
    The Mummy
    Paranoiac
    Rasputin: The Mad Monk
    The Curse of the Werewolf
    The Abominable Snowman

That should be a good start.

These aren't in any particular order...

Horror of Dracula
    The Curse of Frankenstein
    The Devil Rides Out
    Dracula: Prince of Darkness
    The Hound of the Baskervilles
    The Mummy
    Paranoiac
    Rasputin: The Mad Monk
    The Curse of the Werewolf
    The Abominable Snowman

That should be a good start.
    Which of the two Dracula titles is considered the better one?

Quote Quoting Spun Lepton (view post)
    Which of the two Dracula titles is considered the better one?

Horror of Dracula, for sure. It actually may be my favorite film adaptation of Bram Stoker's novel.

Dracula: Prince of Darkness would be - in my opinion - the next best Lee Dracula movie.

Many others would tell you that the very best Hammer Dracula film is Dracula A.D. 1972, but honestly, I don't get what the big deal is. I think it's kind of an ironic, "it's so hoaky it's awesome!" kind of love, and I just don't really buy into that kind of worship.

It's fun, but Horror of Dracula and Prince of Darkness are just genuinely awesome movies.

Fans of Bava should like them. They have a similar gothic aesthetic.

Many others would tell you that the very best Hammer Dracula film is Dracula A.D. 1972, but honestly, I don't get what the big deal is. I think it's kind of an ironic, "it's so hoaky it's awesome!" kind of love, and I just don't really buy into that kind of worship.
    I wouldn't dream of saying it's the very best Hammer Dracula film. That's just goofy. But yes, it's very hoaky and very fun. A similar "Dracula in modern times" film (also by Hammer) which has the hoakiness but not the hilarity is Satanic Rites of Dracula.

All the titles you recommended are top tier or either I just haven't seen them (Devil Rides Out is, indeed, an awe-inspiring movie), and I'd like to add Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll and an Amicus Film (the main competition) anthology film called From Beyond the Grave.

And The Wicker Man, of course.

The Wicker Man is awesome, Grouchy. I actually got a real Wicker Man type feeling watching Cthulhu.

And it pains me to say, but I actually haven't seen any Amicus films :sad:

And it pains me to say, but I actually haven't seen any Amicus films :sad:
    Well, that's the only one I've seen myself. They just aren't as famous or as prolific as Hammer.

A quick Wikipedia read tells me they're mostly notable for anthology films like the one I saw, which was pretty good stuff. Torture Garden and The House that Dripped Blood are the most famous films on this category.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Well, that's the only one I've seen myself. They just aren't as famous or as prolific as Hammer.

A quick Wikipedia read tells me they're mostly notable for anthology films like the one I saw, which was pretty good stuff. Torture Garden and The House that Dripped Blood are the most famous films on this category.

Ah. I watched most of The House That Dripped Blood while in NYC, but it was the day I got really sick, and I think I ended up falling asleep.

The Asphyx, I think, was from Amicus. I own that one, it's pretty good. A little silly at times, but overall nicely pulpy and entertaining.

Woot. I got into a free early screening of Dread.

Page 3 of 356 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast