Page 279 of 356 FirstFirst ... 179229269277278279280281289329 ... LastLast
Results 6,951 to 6,975 of 8878

Thread: Sangre, cuchillos, y tetas --- Horror Film Discussion

This movie is wonderful.

Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed (1969) was a really good movie despite the fact that I didn't care about the young couple who are forced by the evil Baron into a dangerous experiment with horrible consequences. I actually liked that they went back to the murderous evil Baron that was present in the first movie, although this version was the darkest one and did terrible things. As usual Hammer Studios sticks the ending, although by that point they were starting to repeat themselves.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

It's all in the caffeine EvilShoe's Avatar
    Last movies seen
    Frank: Good
    Mistaken for Strangers: Good
    Guardians of the Galaxy: Good

Last TV seasons watched

Treme (S04): Good
    The Legend of Korra (S03): Good

Currently reading
    This Side of Paradise - F. Scott Fitzgerald

I really miss VHS covers.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

BTW after this weekend I'll finally have finished the ANOES series. So before I watch A New Nightmare, ratings! Out of 100:

ANOES (1984)-85
    Freddy's Revenge (1985)-73
    The Dream Warriors (1987)-83
    The Dream Master (1988)-75
    The Dream Child (1989)-78
    Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare (1991)-30
    Remake (2010)-85

Overall I find the series to be fairly consistent, which is both good and bad. I'm not as in love with the original as most are, and I was surprised that the 5th installment was actually solid. Part 6 was just all kinds of awful. I saw the remake at a midnight show and parts actually freaked me out-and after viewing Parts 4 and 5 I just realized that the remake had the dinner from both those films at the beginning, which is a nice touch.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    BTW after this weekend I'll finally have finished the ANOES series. So before I watch A New Nightmare, ratings! Out of 100:

ANOES (1984)-85
    Remake (2010)-85

Overall I find the series to be fairly consistent, which is both good and bad. I'm not as in love with the original as most are, and I was surprised that the 5th installment was actually solid. Part 6 was just all kinds of awful. I saw the remake at a midnight show and parts actually freaked me out-and after viewing Parts 4 and 5 I just realized that the remake had the dinner from both those films at the beginning, which is a nice touch.
    I don't think I've ever seen you rate a movie that low before.

I watched all of these back in 2010, but I didn't record my ratings, but I also remember giving a favorable grade to the remake. They had a little bit of misdirection going in that movie which I liked.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Jen and I watched The Legend of Hell House last night. I thought I'd seen it before, but evidently I hadn't.

A very creepy and effective little haunted house story. Great cast of characters, and some wonderful cinematography. I loved the skewed angles and use of fish eye lenses to evoke the twisted perversions of the house without actually showing "ghosts". It was very unsettling.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)

ANOES (1984)-85
    Remake (2010)-85

Nice! I highly recommend the nearly-4-hour documentary on Netflix about the series. It's awesome.

Renny Harlin talks about how A Chinese Ghost Story and other HK supernatural films were a big inspiration for him and the crew when they were making The Dream Master, and with that context I think the film works a little better - at least it's odd tone make more sense.

Except for your rating of the remake as not only good but on equal grounds with the original, I really like your list, MadMan. LOVE The Dream Warriors and The Dream Master, and they both have some wonderfully weird moments.

I always thought the girl turning into a cockroach was super gross.

As for the remake, I thought it was awful. The only interesting thing they did [
    ] they ended up undoing.

- - - - -
    Midnight Meat Train. Clive Barker.

Thoughts? Opinions? Story or film.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I don't think I've ever seen you rate a movie that low before.

I watched all of these back in 2010, but I didn't record my ratings, but I also remember giving a favorable grade to the remake. They had a little bit of misdirection going in that movie which I liked.
    I've given plenty of movies zeros. In fact I have a list somewhere of the worst movies I've ever seen. Just never bothered to post it here.

The remake's bit of misdirection was nice. I liked that it was a modern day twist on the somewhat by now tired slasher genre. Especially the fact that [
    ]

Quote Quoting D_Davis
    Nice! I highly recommend the nearly-4-hour documentary on Netflix about the series. It's awesome.

Renny Harlin talks about how A Chinese Ghost Story and other HK supernatural films were a big inspiration for him and the crew when they were making The Dream Master, and with that context I think the film works a little better - at least it's odd tone make more sense.
    Oh yeah I have to watch that documentary at some point. 4 hours is really long though. And that's cool about Harlin and his inspiration, which now that I've heard of I now want to see it.

Quote Quoting megaldon8
    Except for your rating of the remake as not only good but on equal grounds with the original, I really like your list, MadMan. LOVE The Dream Warriors and The Dream Master, and they both have some wonderfully weird moments.

I always thought the girl turning into a cockroach was super gross.

As for the remake, I thought it was awful. The only interesting thing they did [
    ] they ended up undoing.
    The girl turning into a bug was indeed disturbing. And I still liked that they made us wonder about Freddy overall, despite what you say being true.

BTW I think that Freddy vs. Jason is the best film from both franchises if it does indeed count.

Irish I have not seen Midnight Meat Train, although I do want to. Maybe I should read the story its based on first however.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Midnight Meat Train was a blast.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)

Love this movie.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I loved Barker's story but thought the movie was cringe worthy.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)

Film is bad. Did not like.

Hahahahahaha anyone ever see Moontrap?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Hahahahahaha anyone ever see Moontrap?
    Saw it waaaaay back when it first hit VHS. Barely remember anything about it, except all of the scenes in the vacuum were completely silent. Which was cool, I guess.

Quote Quoting Spun Lepton (view post)
    Saw it waaaaay back when it first hit VHS. Barely remember anything about it, except all of the scenes in the vacuum were completely silent. Which was cool, I guess.
    I just watched it and it's classic low budget 80s nonsense. I guess they're making a sequel due out next year.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Closed-captioning the original Night of the Living Dead for work, and it's amazing how much I still get sucked into it. Just got a part I've probably seen 20 or so times - the scene when the truck explodes and Cooper betrays Ben by running away. I had to hold in a verbal "Ohhhhh" when Ben breaks through and gives Cooper that death-glare.

It's still stunning to me how progressive the film is in terms of the narrative risks it takes. I can't imagine being someone who grew up on those '50s drive-in classics where plucky teenagers save the day in their hot rods... and then see the teenagers in this film get burnt the fuck alive and served up as a smorgasbord for semi-nude corpses.

The Ben angry I'm gonna kill this cracka stare is one of my favorite parts.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

"Enjoyed" Eden Lake as an efficient and truly harrowing piece of Deliverance-style escalating brutality, and sometimes insightful look at peer pressure and bullying, but it's certainly a movie I'd never want to watch again, and I agree with people on this forum regarding its discomforting politics - and has anybody commented on the Indian kid trying to assimilate only to find himself...

[
    ]

I don't know if that's intentional, but it certainly felt like a statement on distrust of immigrants.

Anyway, I thought the last ten minutes were pretty superfluous and took things in a less compelling direction. Had the film remained focused on the ringleader psychopath as the sole source of violence, I would've bought it, especially since the third act hints at the group dissolving into distrust and skepticism - that would've provided more than enough story meat and psychological interest to satisfy me.

Saw Halloween: Resurrection for the first time the other night. Painful. Awful. Embarrassing stuff. How was this directed by the same guy who did the more-than-decent Halloween 2?

If I had a time machine, I would love to go back to 1978 and show John Carpenter the footage of Busta Rhymes kung fu kicking Michael Myers through a window on a reality webcast. I don't know if he would laugh or cry. Or take all footage of his original masterpiece and burn it.

We also watched The Curse of Michael Myers (aka Halloween 6), both the up-to-now unseen Producer's Cut and the original Theatrical. The Producer's cut is HUGELY superior. It actually feels like a different movie. The opening is much longer, with more set up for the events that come later. It actually has fewer kills (and less gory ones), but the movie itself is so much smoother moving, and has much better music.

It's still not particularly great, but I strongly recommend fans of the series watch the two cuts back-to-back. It's a really cool experience and the drastic changes are incredible.

Then last night we watched H20. It's not great, but it was a much better ending to the series than the aforementioned abysmal Resurrection.

Captioning a movie called Slew Hampshire. A piece of bullshit exploitative nonsense. I had enough trouble dealing with the

[
    ]

and now I'm trying to get through a sequence that peaked with

[
    ]

and now I just really want to pack it in and never watch another scary movie again. Like, ever.

I'm sure I'll feel better tomorrow, but Jesus Christ, I just hate people sometimes. I really do.

This is a really fun New Zealand horror comedy to check out, along with What We do in the Shadows, when it's available where people live.