Page 264 of 356 FirstFirst ... 164214254262263264265266274314 ... LastLast
Results 6,576 to 6,600 of 8878

Thread: Sangre, cuchillos, y tetas --- Horror Film Discussion

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Mr. Pink (view post)
    Saw Memories of Murder the other night. Wow. What an amazing movie. It didn't really blow me away once it was over, but then it sort of gradually sunk in that it was, in fact, amazing. Typically the police angle in these kinds of movies are the least interesting for me, but this sucks you in pretty easily. The situation the cops are in is so frustrating, and this movie is pretty much about exactly how frustrating it is for them.

[
    ]
    It's a fantastic movie. One of the best from the last decade.

[
    ]

So, has anyone who missed it in theaters rented You're Next yet?
    Yes.

[
    ]

I enjoyed Frankenstein Created Woman. Good Hammer Studios sequel. Peter Cushing really had fun playing the mad scientist.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

pushing too many pencils Rowland's Avatar
    You know what I turned on tonight for background noise and found myself unexpectedly drawn into? Nispel's Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake. Yeah yeah, I know, I know, but it's really kinda badass.
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    The Long Riders (Hill) ***
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    Another 48 Hrs. (Hill) ***
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Besson) ***
    /Unknown/ (Collet-Serra) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

I've been catching up with 2013 genre releases, and while I haven't yet discovered anything I'd label as definitively great, I've come up with a ranked list (some of these can only be very loosely defined as horror):

Very Good
    1. Room 237 (a cheat, I know)
    2. Byzantium
    3. Stoker
    4. We Are What We Are

Good
    5. The Lords of Salem
    6. Evil Dead
    7. Only God Forgives
    8. +1
    9. V/H/S 2
    10. Europa Report
    11. The Conjuring

Fine
    12. Curse of Chucky
    13. Here Comes the Devil
    14. Berberian Sound Studio
    15. Magic Magic
    16. The Call
    17. Riddick
    18. Insidious Chapter 2
    19. The ABCs of Death

On the Fence
    20. The Rambler
    21. Maniac
    22. Resolution
    23. Jugface
    24. Frankenstein's Army
    25. Dark Skies
    26. Carrie
    27. Come Out and Play
    28. You're Next
    29. The Last Will and Testament of Rosalind Leigh
    30. No One Lives
    31. Kiss of the Damned

Meh
    32. Black Rock
    33. Devil's Pass
    34. World War Z
    35. Texas Chainsaw 3D
    36. Mama
    37. 6 Souls
    38. Vanishing Waves
    39. Grabbers

Feh
    40. Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters
    41. The Last Exorcism Part II
    42. Beneath
    43. Crawlspace
    44. Escape From Tomorrow
    45. Axe Giant: The Wrath of Paul Bunyan
    46. Aftershock

Blech
    47. Absence
    48. John Dies at the End
    49. Dracula 3D
    50. Cockneys vs. Zombies
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

I really enjoyed John Dies At The End so bah I say. Bah. Then again I don't consider Only God Forgives to be a horror movie, either.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Rowland (view post)
    You know what I turned on tonight for background noise and found myself unexpectedly drawn into? Nispel's Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake. Yeah yeah, I know, I know, but it's really kinda badass.
    Except for the jump scare at the end. And of course Jessica Biel in low rise jeans set in the 70s.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I've been catching up with 2013 genre releases, and while I haven't yet discovered anything I'd label as definitively great, I've come up with a ranked list (some of these can only be very loosely defined as horror):

Very Good
    1. Room 237 (a cheat, I know)
    2. Byzantium
    3. Stoker
    4. We Are What We Are

Good
    5. The Lords of Salem
    6. Evil Dead
    7. Only God Forgives
    8. +1
    9. V/H/S 2
    10. Europa Report
    11. The Conjuring

Fine
    12. Curse of Chucky
    13. Here Comes the Devil
    14. Berberian Sound Studio
    15. Magic Magic
    16. The Call
    17. Riddick
    18. Insidious Chapter 2
    19. The ABCs of Death

On the Fence
    20. The Rambler
    21. Maniac
    22. Resolution
    23. Jugface
    24. Frankenstein's Army
    25. Dark Skies
    26. Carrie
    27. Come Out and Play
    28. You're Next
    29. The Last Will and Testament of Rosalind Leigh
    30. No One Lives
    31. Kiss of the Damned

Meh
    32. Black Rock
    33. Devil's Pass
    34. World War Z
    35. Texas Chainsaw 3D
    36. Mama
    37. 6 Souls
    38. Vanishing Waves
    39. Grabbers

Feh
    40. Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters
    41. The Last Exorcism Part II
    42. Beneath
    43. Crawlspace
    44. Escape From Tomorrow
    45. Axe Giant: The Wrath of Paul Bunyan
    46. Aftershock

Blech
    47. Absence
    48. John Dies at the End
    49. Dracula 3D
    50. Cockneys vs. Zombies
    Your list is solid, with the exception of the three bolded.

1. John Dies at the End is a riot. Fucking meat monster man. How can you not be entertained by that!?
    2. You didn't like Dark Skies too much? Man I thought that was an alien movie we were in desperate need for.
    3. The Conjuring I liked a lot. My only quibble would be putting in the very good category.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Finally watched the original version of Godzilla. While some of the special effects lack the budget to properly convey the terror, the film's last thirty minutes--unsurprisingly linked to the fact that the monster doesn't appear in them at all--really ratchet up the narrative and national commentary on nuclear weapons. It's apparent where films like Pacific Rim take their inspiration in the ocean finale, but the film generates a permeating, irrevocable sense of loss--with characters assuming kamikazi bandannas and deploring the scientific invention of modern warfare. Those moments totally overpower less impressive effects by actually situating this film in a useful cultural context.

Really good stuff.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

(1982)

Saw this the other night and enjoyed it quite a bit. It's almost like a 1982 slasher version of The Conjuring in some ways. The premise is cliché but still a classic: a new family moves into an old house with a violent history, including the death of a witch 400 years ago. Turns out the witch isn't quite dead, and quickly begins to murder everything in sight.

If you can get past the slower bits you've already seen before in other movies, this has some nice surprises. Okay, so it's not anything too surprising, but this is pretty fast-paced, and especially violent for a movie from '82. The familiar premise is my guess for the reason this hasn't stood out much, because otherwise it's a perfectly solid, early-eighties supernatural/gore flick. It's perfect for lovers of the decade running slim on things to watch.

(1987)

It's probably no surprise I enjoyed this one too. It had been on my to-see list for a while, and there really wasn't much shame in finally crossing it off.

A bunch of hot chicks in spandex show their boobs and work their buns. I think other things happen, too, but I'm not positive. No, I'm just kidding -- I remember. People get killed in between hot chicks showing their boobs and working their buns. It really is quality stuff.

What makes this one a winner for me - aside from what I already mentioned above - is the reveal of the killer. Sure, it's relatively standard up until then, and it is quite possibly the single most eighties slasher movie from the eighties ever made -- but the ending alone kicks it up a notch above at least 60% of the field, which isn't too bad. You could even argue the ending was a scathing social commentary of the decade if you wanted to, but mostly I just thought about spandex and boobs.

It's hard to find, but it's plenty of fun.

You're Next -- I really enjoyed how they played the Final Girl for laughs rather than tension, although I think this is also the point where the movie starts to go off the rails. It's almost as if it changes into "hurry up and get it over with" mode. The blender was the worst idea in the whole thing, as it played too far against the tone they'd already set. The reveals at the end were also a little too predicable.

Carrie -- It's been forever since I've read the book, but from what I remember, this plays pretty closely to it. More cohesive than De Palma's version, but lacking in style, so the Prom scene lacks a visceral punch that De Palma's had. This is despite the fact the new film is more violent. Julianne Moore stole the show.

Picked up a copy of Banshee Chapter. Read a few decent reviews for it, and it's based on Lovecraft...so I was sold!
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Stitches was pretty fun.

I don't remember most things about Superstition but I do remember really loving it... That was a period of my life when I watched too many Horror movies, all in a row.

Botched -- A misfire of epic proportions. It wants to be a goofy, irrevernt horror/dramedy, but all the drama fails big time. Let's just say this: If you are going to have a rat running around in your horror/dramedy that looks LESS REALISTIC than the gopher in Caddyshack, you're going to have a helluva time convincing me to take ANYTHING in your movie seriously.

The story arbitrarily takes place in Russia, thus all the Russian characters (99% of the cast) speak in English w/ an accent, some better than others. There's also a weird culture-mash-up as if the story was original set in the States, but later rewritten to take place in Russia. Russian characters speak English when they're hanging out only with other Russians, which is a major pet peeve of mine, it always drags me out of the movie. The antagonists are borderline nonsensical and given no motivation outside of, "they're crazy!!" There's one character whose rallying cry was "alpha male!" who I really, really wanted to die, but no, he lives right up until the end. And just for good measure, there's a clunky love-story subplot that goes nowhere.

Oh, I should mention, the rat wasn't merely a bad effect, it was a choice. It was a stuffed toy they would wiggle around when it was supposed to be moving. It also made "comical rat noises."

Banshee Chapter was a huge disappointment. Competent acting didn't save it from "been here, done that" found footage formula.

I also feel like I watched a completely different movie from the glowingly positive reviews I read which made me purchase it in the first place. Where was all of this "genuinely disturbing monster make-up/effects"? What was the great twist at the end of the film?

Ted Levine competently plays a caricature of Hunter S. Thompson, and there are some creepy moments in the first half of the film. But its resolution leaves a lot to be desired.

H.P. Lovecraft's From Meh-ond is more like it.

What's the word on Kill List? I've seen it mentioned. I stumbled across it on Amazon a few nights ago.

Quote Quoting Spun Lepton (view post)
    What's the word on Kill List? I've seen it mentioned. I stumbled across it on Amazon a few nights ago.
    This was sold to me as a thriller, so when [spoiler withheld] happened, [spoiler withheld] was extremely freaky and effective. You should definitely watch this. Got high marks from me.

Here's a review I posted about Kill List on my blog:

A strong feeling of harsh gloom lingers, as gray clouds overcast the sky. That feeling that something terrible is about to happen enters your mind like a parasite burrowing its way into your brain. There is no escape, only fear and loathing, misery and slow loss of sanity. Strange men have given you and your partner a job-a "Kill List"-which must be completed at all costs. Regret over agreeing to murder for profit again begins to quietly wash over you, damaging the mind and the body. Only when the two of you encounter the truth do you realize the true horror of the situation. Darkness has taken over and revealed to thyself thy true form. Monster is thee.

Sinister purposes, odd symbols and rituals and the thought that none of this makes sense pervade this tale of murder and gore-crimes committed by well dressed men in tailored suits. Is what happens to Jay and Gal fate? Cosmic karma? Even with the final, haunting frame we the viewer are never quite sure. I have questions and I admire the film as it does not give any easy answers. Jay and Gal embody lies that obscure the truth. They pretend to be gentlemen when they are really professional thugs. Jay carries on the false pretense that he is a family man. Its odd and funny how easily we adopt falsehoods, especially when they serve our own twisted ends. Yet we never question the why. Even when its too late and the bloody answer was starring us right in the face.

After I finally get to watch A Field In England I plan on covering Ben Wheatley in my Director's Thread, seeing as by then I'll have watched all of his full length releases as far as I know.

Oh and The Abominable Snowman (1957) was rather disappointing and wastes a good performance from Peter Cushing. Also come on man [
    ]
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Jen and I had a great time last night getting hammered and watching the horrendous Prophecy starring Talia Shire in a role that could have been completely eliminated from the film and wouldn't have changed a single thing.

It's terrible, but we had fun with it. It also has a sleeping bag death scene that gives Jason Voorhees' a run for their money.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Jen and I had a great time last night getting hammered and watching the horrendous Prophecy starring Talia Shire in a role that could have been completely eliminated from the film and wouldn't have changed a single thing.

It's terrible, but we had fun with it. It also has a sleeping bag death scene that gives Jason Voorhees' a run for their money.
    So it wasn't Frankenheimer's finest hour, I take it?
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

So it wasn't Frankenheimer's finest hour, I take it?

Absolutely not. I'm actually quite a big fan of Ronin, not sure how others around here feel about it. I thought it was a great action flick.

I got the feeling while watching Prophecy that the filmmakers themselves were not happy with the way the creature looked. They seemed very reluctant to show it in full, and it never appears for more than a second or two in a shot. And it wasn't an attempt to make it more mysterious and suspenseful - it was awkwardly lit to make it harder to see because it looked so bad.

Absolutely not. I'm actually quite a big fan of Ronin, not sure how others around here feel about it. I thought it was a great action flick.
    I freaking love that movie.

"I never left. I NEVER LEFT."

Is that the one about the mutant bear?