Page 224 of 356 FirstFirst ... 124174214222223224225226234274324 ... LastLast
Results 5,576 to 5,600 of 8878

Thread: Sangre, cuchillos, y tetas --- Horror Film Discussion

I didn't like Fulci's A Lizard in Woman's Skin, which sounds very similar to PS, so I probably won't see it.

Are Giallo fans generally pretty undiscriminating? That's the impression I get when looking up the titles.

pushing too many pencils Rowland's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Boner M (view post)
    Are Giallo fans generally pretty undiscriminating? That's the impression I get when looking up the titles.
    I don't know if I'd say undiscriminating, but many cult eurohorror aficionados probably do tend to be particularly willing to overlook any (debatable) drawbacks that stand between them and whatever appeals to them about any given film. But you can't lump all Giallo fans, or all Giallos for that matter, into one easily quantifiable group.

I didn't care for A Lizard in a Woman's Skin either, so I doubt you'd like Perversion Story much. Don't Torture a Duckling does strike me as being legitimately pretty great however, and easily one of Fulci's best.
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    The Long Riders (Hill) ***
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    Another 48 Hrs. (Hill) ***
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Besson) ***
    /Unknown/ (Collet-Serra) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

The only one I've seen is The Girl Who Knew Too Much. I recommend.

Don't Torture a Duckling (Fulci)
    The Girl Who Knew Too Much (Bava)
    These two are rather decent/solid. I haven't seen the other ones you mentioned, though.

Tonight I have The Relic on tap. I figure I already viewed one 90s horror movie, so why not go for another? Plus both Siskel and Ebert liked it back then, and they actually had something of note to say, so there's always that.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

I know I always criticize Ebert and name-call him, but one commendable thing he does in his reviews is that if the movie is not all that interesting he dispatches it and talks about something else instead.

I mostly hate him because he appeals to the more conformist type of "good" cinema. When something truly challenging comes his way, he almost always rejects it. Even worse, he only warms up to some filmmakers (Lynch, Almodóvar) once his peers are already praising them.

Quote Quoting Boner M (view post)
    Anthology is doing a series, Giallo Fever!, while I'm in NYC.

Any particularly recommendations from these ones I haven't seen?

Perversion Story and Don't Torture a Duckling (Fulci)
    The Girl Who Knew Too Much (Bava)
    A Quiet Place in the Country (Petri)
    The House of the Laughing Windows (Avati)
    The Strange Vice of Martha Ward (Martino)
    What Have You Done to Solange? (Dallamano)
    Are you gonna skip the ones you've already seen? 'Cause I love The Girl Who Knew Too Much, but I wouldn't skip Blood and Black Lace in favor of it.

Don't Torture a Duckling would be great to see in a theater, too.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Got this for free (using $11 worth of Amazon points) and it will be my Halloween marathon this year.

Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    I know I always criticize Ebert and name-call him, but one commendable thing he does in his reviews is that if the movie is not all that interesting he dispatches it and talks about something else instead.
    This is true, and has lead to some of his funniest, most awesome reviews. I actually like him best when he hates a movie. Those are his most fun to read reviews.

I mostly hate him because he appeals to the more conformist type of "good" cinema. When something truly challenging comes his way, he almost always rejects it. Even worse, he only warms up to some filmmakers (Lynch, Almodóvar) once his peers are already praising them.
    You could make the argument that too many critics are like that, though, or that too many movie goers, even ones that like challenging material to an extent, are like that, too. Its the major problem with the American audience, but I think it almost extends to other countries as well. People are lazy, or they fear change, or they are scared of something that goes against their viewpoints.

Anyways I agree with Siskel and Ebert's liking of The Relic. Its a bit cheesy at times, but the movie is a solid monster movie that pulls no punches. I hear the book is even better, and I would like to read it at some point.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

I really like The Relic.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I really like The Relic.
    I like the movie and I love the book.

That book is what got me interested in Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. The ending in the movie if awful- the book does a much better dramatic job and also includes a character completely omitted from the movie. (Pentergast).

I highly recommend every Pentergast book DP and LC have written.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I really like The Relic.
    YES.

I remember watching this in the theater and was worried how the creature FX was going to look. Then I saw Stan Winston's name in the opening credits, and my fears disappeared.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Two other mid-'90s monster movies I really like are Mimic and Deep Rising.

The latter is the best thing that director has ever done.

pushing too many pencils Rowland's Avatar
    I thought The Relic was kinda crap when I revisited it a few years ago, but even recalling all the murky images and senseless plotting, I don't feel as negatively about it now, so who knows, maybe I was just being overly critical. I like Mimic a lot as well (and to a lesser extent its DTV sequels, own them all in a Blu-ray set I found cheap), and I liked Deep Rising back in '99 when I watched it on late night HBO, not sure how that would hold up.
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    The Long Riders (Hill) ***
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    Another 48 Hrs. (Hill) ***
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Besson) ***
    /Unknown/ (Collet-Serra) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

I miss those solid, B-movie studio monster movies. In fact, the 90s were good at mid-budget B movies in general. These days its just horror movies and R-rated comedies based around the apparently hilarious disconnect of seeing regular type people in regular type jobs/situations act like frat boys.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    I miss those solid, B-movie studio monster movies. In fact, the 90s were good at mid-budget B movies in general. These days its just horror movies and R-rated comedies based around the apparently hilarious disconnect of seeing regular type people in regular type jobs/situations act like frat boys.
    How about a list of some of your faves? I'm a sucker for a decent monster flick.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Totally agree.

I have a feeling that what I remember fondly, you have already seen.

Things like Species, Anaconda, the two movies mentioned above, From Dusk Till Dawn, Vampires, Arachnophobia, Tremors.....B-movies all, with a sense of pacing and (in some cases) just the right touch of camp.

But I was also thinking of the action movies and the thrillers:

Red Rock West
    Trespass
    Breakdown
    The River Wild
    The Edge
    The Devil's Advocate
    etc.

Stuff like that - pulpy, mid-budget, entertaining, adult studio fare. All of those are pretty much direct to DVD these days, because they aren't R-rated comedies or contain zombies/superheroes/a slasher. I realise they still MAKE these types of films (64% starring Jason Statham) but I think they are way blander and hackier than previously.

But I'm pretty sure I'm speaking with a healthy dose of nostalgia,
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

One thing is that I don't remember the B-grade genre movies of the 90s being as mean spirited as everything seems to be these days. I don't know. Maybe it's just because I'm older now, and don't tolerate mean-spirited stuff anymore, but Rated R films today tend to be more gruesome, explicit, and over all nastier in tone these days.

I mean, The Relic is no horror-comedy, but it's not mean spirited. It's simply a solid monster flick.

Zombieland was a good modern flick that has a similar '90s tone to it.

I have a feeling that what I remember fondly, you have already seen.

Things like Species, Anaconda, the two movies mentioned above, From Dusk Till Dawn, Vampires, Arachnophobia, Tremors.....B-movies all, with a sense of pacing and (in some cases) just the right touch of camp.
    Demon Night
    Bordello of Blood
    Fright Night 1 and 2
    House 1 and 2

(some of these mentioned are '80s....)

I think we might just be remembering with lots of nostalgia, and having the best filter of all - time - on our sides.

But more often than not, I'll start watching a new B-grade genre film on Netflix instant, and turn it off after about 30 minutes.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Yeah, the genre shift to serious (and seriously monotonous) horror remakes has killed the mid-level goofy adult stuff. There've been a few gasps for the B-movie spirit of yore.

USA-wise, there's Eight Legged Freaks, The Cabin in the Woods, Slither, and Drag Me to Hell, which are films that I thought succeeded to varying degrees (don't hit me, D). Trick 'r Treat might not qualify, but it has the same overall tone - pulpy genre goodness delivered with a wink and a smile. Movies like I Sell the Dead, Piranha 3D and Van Helsing were disappointments, but their hearts were in the right place.

Overseas, movies like Dog Soldiers, Rogue, The Host, and Attack the Block fit loosely into that mold.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    Yeah, the genre shift to serious (and seriously monotonous) horror remakes has killed the mid-level goofy adult stuff. There've been a few gasps for the B-movie spirit of yore.

USA-wise, there's Eight Legged Freaks, The Cabin in the Woods, Slither, and Drag Me to Hell, which are films that I thought succeeded to varying degrees (don't hit me, D). Trick 'r Treat might not qualify, but it has the same overall tone - pulpy genre goodness delivered with a wink and a smile. Movies like I Sell the Dead, Piranha 3D and Van Helsing were disappointments, but their hearts were in the right place.

Overseas, movies like Dog Soldiers, Rogue, The Host, and Attack the Block fit loosely into that mold.
    I'd say most of those are pretty good examples - thus proving that the stuff still gets made today. And even though I can't stand Drag Me to Hell, you're right in that it fits that mode, which may be evidence that I'm getting old and my tastes are changing.

That's one of the reasons why I loved Attack the Block so much. It totally felt like a '90s flick to me.

And, speaking of not hitting, I like The Mummy movies for much of the same reasons. They're fun and entertaining. They've got good heart, and adventure.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    I'd say most of those are pretty good examples - thus proving that the stuff still gets made today. And even though I can't stand Drag Me to Hell, you're right in that it fits that mode, which may be evidence that I'm getting old and my tastes are changing.

That's one of the reasons why I loved Attack the Block so much. It totally felt like a '90s flick to me.

And, speaking of not hitting, I like The Mummy movies for much of the same reasons. They're fun and entertaining. They've got good heart, and adventure.
    I enjoy the hell out of the first Mummy movie (the sequel got too big for its britches). I think it's one of the few big-budget action-adventures that captures some of the magic of Indiana Jones. Just scary enough, just funny enough, doesn't overstay its welcome.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    I enjoy the hell out of the first Mummy movie (the sequel got too big for its britches). I think it's one of the few big-budget action-adventures that captures some of the magic of Indiana Jones. Just scary enough, just funny enough, doesn't overstay its welcome.
    For sure, although I do like the sequel, even though it is bloated (the first big action sequence on the bus with the three mummies is totally cool). The third though, oof, so lame.

I saw Attack the Block the other day. It killed me. Hell of a film. You guys are right, that kind of B-spirit monster movie is completely absent from today's Hollywood. Horror is almost 100% marketed for teenagers.

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    YES.

I remember watching this in the theater and was worried how the creature FX was going to look. Then I saw Stan Winston's name in the opening credits, and my fears disappeared.
    Heh yep the minute I saw his name in the credits I realized the monster would at least look good.

Also Deep Rising sucked. I'm willing to maybe give it another chance, but what I saw was awful. Poor Treat Williams and Kevin J. O'Connor deserved a better monster movie.

Mimic I have on my Instant Viewing queue. And yes I fully agree with you guys that the fun has been completely sucked from the horror genre, and even many Hollywood films. I blame blockbusters for this in addition to hack directors. The PG-13 rating has been really bad for decent, fun moviemaking: everything's aimed at stupid teenagers.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular