Page 219 of 356 FirstFirst ... 119169209217218219220221229269319 ... LastLast
Results 5,451 to 5,475 of 8878

Thread: Sangre, cuchillos, y tetas --- Horror Film Discussion

Quote Quoting Spun Lepton (view post)
    The Sleepaway Camp movies are all pretty much crap, MadMan. Just fair warning. If you thought the first was dull, you probably won't enjoy the sequels.
    Well then I won't even bother, I guess. Considering that many of the slasher films I have seen from the 80s have been ones I've enjoyed, I guess it was only a matter of time until I started running into truly awful ones.

That said, a good early 90s one that had the feel of an 80s slasher film that I viewed last horrorfest is Popcorn (1991), which I liked a lot and which was available on Netflix Instant Viewing. My writeup for it is here: http://madman731.blogspot.com/2011/0...screaming.html
    Which reminds me that my lazy write up for Cat o' Nine Tails is up. I found that movie tricky to review since its merely a very good Argento, and since much of it is actually tame by his standards.

As for H2, well: http://madman731.blogspot.com/2012/0...rney-ends.html

So I kind of agree with DaMU, especially in terms of some of the murders in the film.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

When I rewatch Halloween 2, it's gonna have to be the Theatrical Version (which, incidentally and miraculously, I just located a copy of at an accessible rental depot). I had to stop the Director's Cut ~30 minutes in when I realized Zombie just added all the clunkier dialogue back into the picture.

[
    ]
    The Act of Killing (Oppenheimer 13) - A
    Stranger by the Lake (Giraudie 12) - B
    American Hustle (Russell 13) - C+
    The Wolf of Wall Street (Scorsese 13) - C+
    Passion (De Palma 12) - B

V/H/S was alright. The first story 'on tape' is more gory than anything, but somewhat entertaining.

The second got downright creepy during the night sequence. Damn creepy.

The third one is the weakest, felt kind of lame.

The fourth one is creepy and a touch disturbing at times. The ending was unexpected, and rather welcome.

The fifth one is predictable, yet intense, which is fine by me.

You will hate the characters who quest for the tape, but thats the point. If you empathise with them, well....
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    The Gate was very fun. Kind of a low-rent Poltergeist, with some Evil Dead and Equinox shadings, but kept buoyant thanks to its proactive, likable kid characters and its emphasis on ghoulies instead of gruesomeness. The creature effects impress, especially the little fairy guys that scuttle around the house (done with oversized sets and sped-up motion). Better than you'd expect.

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    All the Boys Love Mandy Lane is a film remarkably in tune with the kind of hazy, druggy and vignette-laced atmosphere of a lot of late teen get togethers. It is also a super-smart film in its construction, Levine's camera ever gracing Mandy Lane's curves and floppy hair that masks her face keeps her so much of an enigma. The film's lust after her, mirrored by the way she enraptures everyone in the film, may seem cheesy, but once you get to the ending, you see what makes her such a special character and careful creation. The grooves of the film and the expert camerawork, often casting a dreamy vibe to the film, are pretty impeccable. There's actually a warmth and calmness to a lot of the shots in the film and Levine clearly in inspired by 70s-era horror films and the music is typically sunny though rarely used in an ironic manner, it more accompanies the film's styling which Levine almost seems to want to rail against the horror and not for it.

Honestly, it's just a genre film really well done. Very smart and exceedingly well crafted.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

The Gate is available on Netflix Instant Viewing, but All The Boys Love Mandy Lane sadly is not.

Oh and I rented Saw and The Tenant from my local library, and I'm looking forward to viewing both. Especially The Tenant, seeing as its was considered the final installment in Polanski's loose "Apartment trilogy" which also featured Repulsion and Rosemary's Baby.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    All The Boys Love Mandy Lane sadly is not.
    It's not even legitimately available in the US at all. Very strange that it has suffered such a fate. I watched it off a bootleg. I highly recommend seeking it out by whatever means necessary, though it won't appeal to everyone so I can't recommend spending any real money for it. But it's easily one of my favorite horror films of the last decade or so.
    Recently Viewed:
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½

Films By Year

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    It's not even legitimately available in the US at all. Very strange that it has suffered such a fate. I watched it off a bootleg. I highly recommend seeking it out by whatever means necessary, though it won't appeal to everyone so I can't recommend spending any real money for it. But it's easily one of my favorite horror films of the last decade or so.
    I bet that some of the posters over the Corrie saw it due to torrent sites, or something. Its a shame when certain horror movies are hard to find, while meanwhile its easy to get your hands on say, Saw 6 1/2: People Are Still Paying to See This Shit.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Watched this film The Unborn for an essay I'm writing. Not sure I'm using hyperbole if I say this is the worst film I've seen in years.

Silver Bullet surprised me. Produced by Dino De Laurentis, screenplay by Stephen King himself, starring Gary Busey (before his head injury), Corey Haim, Everett McGill, Terry O'Quinn, and a small appearance by none other than Lawrence Tierney. Solid, but not perfect. It features irritating voice-over narration, the werewolf looks a little cheap, and the finale could have been a bit longer. But, it never takes itself too seriously, has some golden dialogue, solid acting, maintains a good pace, and remains entertaining throughout. Definitely worth a watch on Netflix Instant.

7/10

I will probably give that a re-watch soon. It never made much of an impression on me when I was younger, despite Corey Haim being in it, but I haven't seen it in so long it will basically be a first-time viewing.

All I really remember is a rocket powered wheelchair, and even that I'm not even sure of.

Quote Quoting Mr. Pink (view post)
    I will probably give that a re-watch soon. It never made much of an impression on me when I was younger, despite Corey Haim being in it, but I haven't seen it in so long it will basically be a first-time viewing.

All I really remember is a rocket powered wheelchair, and even that I'm not even sure of.
    Wheelchair with a motorcycle engine.

- - - - -
    Gary Busey (before his head injury)
    :lol: I love that you specified this detail.

pushing too many pencils Rowland's Avatar
    My ritual for falling asleep lately has been to watch whatever schlocky looking stuff I can find on Netflix Instant. It's always something I don't plan on ever actually watching, with the slightest hope that I'll discover something actually worthwhile, but my initial impression is usually justified and I typically fall asleep quick. So far, Silver Bullet is the only movie I've happened across that made me sit up and think it may actually be worth my full attention, so I intend on eventually giving it a genuine shot.
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    The Long Riders (Hill) ***
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    Another 48 Hrs. (Hill) ***
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Besson) ***
    /Unknown/ (Collet-Serra) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

When I was younger I saw Silver Bullet on TBS, and I thought it was kind of terrible. But hey I'm willing to give it another chance, especially since most of the 80s King adaptions are pretty good.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Saw 35mm prints of Jeff Lieberman's Blue Sunshine and Just Before Dawn last night with Lieberman himself in attendance. The former is fun stuff with a clever zeitgesty premise - settled-down hippies feel the side effects of acid that causes hair loss and homicidal urges - alas it's let down by wayward plotting and a hilariously bad (albeit committed) lead performance from Zalman King(!) as the man determined to et to the bottom of the conspiracy.

JBD, though, is pretty special; way more beautiful - with its magic-hour cinematography and oddly celestial synth score - than any camping-teens-vs.-hillbillies slasher has any right to be. Even 'slasher' is probably underselling it, considering the de-emphasis on gore and a narrative that surprisingly escews the ideologically-driven laws of survival of most films of its ilk, culminating in a truly gawp-inducing final scene.

Lieberman's Squirm! also played the previous night and I kinda regret missing it based on its rep being well below the other two. He's got his own thang.

Quote Quoting Boner M (view post)
    Saw 35mm prints of Jeff Lieberman's Blue Sunshine and Just Before Dawn last night with Lieberman himself in attendance. The former is fun stuff with a clever zeitgesty premise - settled-down hippies feel the side effects of acid that causes hair loss and homicidal urges - alas it's let down by wayward plotting and a hilariously bad (albeit committed) lead performance from Zalman King(!) as the man determined to et to the bottom of the conspiracy.

JBD, though, is pretty special; way more beautiful - with its magic-hour cinematography and oddly celestial synth score - than any camping-teens-vs.-hillbillies slasher has any right to be. Even 'slasher' is probably underselling it, considering the de-emphasis on gore and a narrative that surprisingly escews the ideologically-driven laws of survival of most films of its ilk, culminating in a truly gawp-inducing final scene.

Lieberman's Squirm! also played the previous night and I kinda regret missing it based on its rep being well below the other two. He's got his own thang.
    Looked Lieberman up and... hey, that's the Satan's Little Helper guy! I caught most of that a while ago (on the Chiller network I think) and always meant to bring it up in this thread. It's also a very unique film, campy and groan-worthy in many spots but also with some vicious morbidity and effective slasher thrills. It was also a damn fine-looking film for what I had anticipated being a 10pm dull, silly horror film.
    Recently Viewed:
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½

Films By Year

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Lake Mungo is a eerie, satisfying horror flick. There were a few moments where my gooseflesh was severe, and I relished that. A nice twist on the whole fake-footage horror, too, as it's presented more as an extended "Unexplained" segment from Unsolved Mysteries than a "lost footage" approach. So you get talking heads and re-creations and mixed media. Some of the best suspense comes from simply searching the frame.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    Lake Mungo is a eerie, satisfying horror flick. There were a few moments where my gooseflesh was severe, and I relished that. A nice twist on the whole fake-footage horror, too, as it's presented more as an extended "Unexplained" segment from Unsolved Mysteries than a "lost footage" approach. So you get talking heads and re-creations and mixed media. Some of the best suspense comes from simply searching the frame.
    adding to queue.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

So I finally viewed Saw (2004) and I was actually impressed. Despite the really silly and hilarious car chase scene, the rest of the film is tense, at times disturbing, and actually pretty well made. I basically recognized early on that the Saw series is just like any other horror film franchise starts out great or good, and then goes to shit later on. I might just view the first three and leave it at that. I'll come up with a write up for it later on, after I finish viewing The Burrowers. I also rented I Sell The Dead, Monsters, and Session 9 from my local video store.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

The Burrowers borrows equal parts from Alien, Dog Soldiers and maybe a couple other movies that I can't think of at the moment. Its also a decently creepy, workmanlike horror western that despite some merely okay creature effects has a good touch of bleakness to it. If anything, this film and Raw Meat almost have something in common in terms of [
    ]

Not to mention the ending, where [
    ]

And yes Clancy Brown is in this, and I have to say that I like him better in this film playing a tough badass cowboy than him playing a preacher in Cowboys and Aliens. Of course this film is better than the stupid aliens movie, so go figure.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    Despite the really silly and hilarious car chase scene
    I'm glad to hear ten years later those car chases are still silly and hilarious.

Coincidentally, I just caught The Burrowers too, Madman. I liked its bleakness. I liked the ending. The film's very dodgy, though. I'm a fan of the director, J.T. Petty, but I think it's clear he needs a lot of work in carrying a conventional narrative. I was bored a lot throughout the first half. The film was pretty sloppy at times, too, which I attribute to Petty having a hard time melding his weird sensibility to the material.
    The Act of Killing (Oppenheimer 13) - A
    Stranger by the Lake (Giraudie 12) - B
    American Hustle (Russell 13) - C+
    The Wolf of Wall Street (Scorsese 13) - C+
    Passion (De Palma 12) - B

Quote Quoting Bosco B Thug (view post)
    I'm glad to hear ten years later those car chases are still silly and hilarious.
    Well its more like 8 years....

Coincidentally, I just caught The Burrowers too, Madman. I liked its bleakness. I liked the ending. The film's very dodgy, though. I'm a fan of the director, J.T. Petty, but I think it's clear he needs a lot of work in carrying a conventional narrative. I was bored a lot throughout the first half. The film was pretty sloppy at times, too, which I attribute to Petty having a hard time melding his weird sensibility to the material.
    I think my rating for it might be a bit high, but I still dug the film quite a bit. Also I viewed I Sell The Dead tonight, and write ups for that flick, Saw, and The Burrowers are up on my blog. I think that none of them really deserved something really lengthy save for maybe Saw, and I believe I've run out of things to say about horror movies already. Still I press on regardless.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Attempted to watch Wreckage on Instant last night. Aaron Paul is in it, so I figured I'd give it a shot. What a boring waste of time. Did not finish.

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    Looked Lieberman up and... hey, that's the Satan's Little Helper guy! I caught most of that a while ago (on the Chiller network I think) and always meant to bring it up in this thread. It's also a very unique film, campy and groan-worthy in many spots but also with some vicious morbidity and effective slasher thrills. It was also a damn fine-looking film for what I had anticipated being a 10pm dull, silly horror film.
    Well, I watched this based upon your comments and based upon Moose's (remember him?) endless praise. It keeps an okay momentum, watchable throughout, but having the stupidest child alive as the person keeping the story going really started to wear thin. This kid never catches on. Ever!! He just continues to make stupid fucking decisions, learning nothing -- nothing!!! -- over the course of the story. It becomes kind of tiresome near the end. Fairly predictable, too. 5/10