Page 174 of 356 FirstFirst ... 74124164172173174175176184224274 ... LastLast
Results 4,326 to 4,350 of 8878

Thread: Sangre, cuchillos, y tetas --- Horror Film Discussion

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I watched Troll Hunter last night. It's cut together at an incredibly fast pace (as lost footage Blair Witch Style) which is smart, because I think people would lose interest if it wasn't. There's some running through the woods with a camera, so if you were always annoyed with that, you probably won't like this, but the footage was definitely interesting enough and the characters are likable that I'd want to watch it again. I think it's just over 100 minutes. Some of the best footage is the raw HD environments, shots of rivers, mountains roaming fields of Norway. What a beautiful country.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Caught the Piranha remake last night, watched it on Blu-Ray, with anaglyph 3D glasses.

The 3D is sketchy, some ghosting, when objects are supposed to be very far away or very near. Occasional shots were completely obscured by blurring, mostly the underwater gore shots. Typical anaglyph.

I was surprised at how gory it was! I mean, holy cow, we've gone back to the level of gore that I enjoyed in the early-80s. I mean, this sucker is gratuitous. Eli Roth's death and the motorboat propeller death were both completely unnecessary and WAY over the top.

(Come to think of it, I wonder if it was the unrated version?)

Jerry O'Connell stole every scene he was in. You could tell he loved playing that sleazeball character. His final line made me laugh so hard I had to pause the movie.

Once again, Ving Rhames played a thankless part. He's a damn good actor, he needs to get meatier roles, dangit.

7/10. I'll see the sequel.
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

Huh. Slant reviews the unrated version of A Serbian Film and gives it 3 stars. Color me surprised.

[REC] 2 narrowly keeps the visceral horror effective by taking on the religious/paranormal route. The zombies in the shadows start to get a little old, but the military approach, with some creatively done kills makes those scenes effective.

I dug the hell out of it.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

The Final Destination was a big improvement over part 3. They did attempt to add a new spin to the movie by giving the lead multiple premonitions, and all the stuff around the final premonition was actually quite fun. Aside from that, it's by-the-numbers.

One thing THE has in common with 3 is a pretty uninspired final scene.

6/10

Quote Quoting Russ (view post)
    Huh. Slant reviews the unrated version of A Serbian Film and gives it 3 stars. Color me surprised.
    That's a very thoughtful review. Almost makes me want to watch it again.

[youtube]8a_2fKmjekk[/youtube]

[youtube]oeGMxE2vYlg[/youtube]

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Despite liking that tagline, I can't imagine that movie not being terrible :lol:
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Terrible poster, terrible title. Movie's gonna bomb.

Surprising. They rated the Fright Night remake R.

Surprising. They rated the Fright Night remake R.
    It's pretty R. F-bombs and showy gore effects. Not to get your hopes up or anything for anything intense, though, the film should be pretty friendly to anyone over 13.
    The Act of Killing (Oppenheimer 13) - A
    Stranger by the Lake (Giraudie 12) - B
    American Hustle (Russell 13) - C+
    The Wolf of Wall Street (Scorsese 13) - C+
    Passion (De Palma 12) - B

Stephen Kay's

[youtube]fYZpSc2FXE8[/youtube]

pushing too many pencils Rowland's Avatar
    La Casa Muda (The Silent House) has an English remake coming out soon from the directing team behind Open Water, but the Uruguayan original is a very worthy effort in its own right, granted you can look beyond its reliance on some tired cliches and appreciate it as an expertly executed stylistic exercise in genre minimalism. It's highly engrossing as long as you can accept its main gimmick, that it's shot in "real-time" Russian-Ark-style, which it clearly isn't, using mostly subtle trickery to achieve the effect, but it's a fun, tense ride all the same.
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    The Long Riders (Hill) ***
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    Another 48 Hrs. (Hill) ***
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Besson) ***
    /Unknown/ (Collet-Serra) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

What's the consensus on Narciso Ibáñez Serrador's Who Can Kill a Child here? Seems pretty highly regarded, and I'm surprised that I'd only heard of it until recently.

Quote Quoting Boner M (view post)
    What's the consensus on Narciso Ibáñez Serrador's Who Can Kill a Child here? Seems pretty highly regarded, and I'm surprised that I'd only heard of it until recently.
    It's solid. Standard genre fare, but creepy and solid. Eli Roth is a fan.
    The Act of Killing (Oppenheimer 13) - A
    Stranger by the Lake (Giraudie 12) - B
    American Hustle (Russell 13) - C+
    The Wolf of Wall Street (Scorsese 13) - C+
    Passion (De Palma 12) - B

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Feel obliged to post this:

Some friends of mine from college produced a 30 minute short zombie musical called "Rigamortis: A Love Story." They posted it online HERE, free to watch, so if you guys want to scope it out, y'know, there it is.

[
    ]

Going to watch Return of the Living Dead tonight.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

I've heard some praise for Scarecrows (1988), and I remember watching it when I first found it on VHS. (Whew, VHS!!) And I also remember enjoying it. So, I crossed my fingers and fired it up on NI.

Somewhat disappointing. A great idea that's poorly executed, but sprinkled with some inspired moments. The acting bounced between decent to poor, the worst culprit being the young woman. She didn't have a natural bone in her body, even her non-speaking moments were ruined by strange, stiff physicality as if she were really uncomfortable in front of the camera.

Character decisions were, overall, stupid. We've got all the 80s cliches. Splitting up, multiple times, even after the characters have realized the threat. Hearing a strange voice in the dark and going toward it. Shit like that. Oh, and one of the most maddening parts ...

[
    ]

The hints to the scarecrows' history could have been less vague. I would have enjoyed it if one character actually took the time to sort out WTF was going on around that farmhouse. The movie was just over 80 minutes long, so there was definitely room for it. That said, you'll figure it out if you really pay attention.

Finally, one of my biggest pet-peeves. Day-for-night. All of the shots of the plane -- ALL of them -- were poorly done day-for-night. It was jarring to go from actual night shots of the people to day-for-night shots of the plane. It ripped me out of the movie every single time. I have a feeling the filmmakers realized too late that they couldn't see the plane in the sky in the dark, so they decided to do day-for-night instead -- but that doesn't explain why we still got day-for-night in the shots where the plane was on the ground.

Best moment of the movie is when Jack reappears near the end.

4/10

Quote Quoting Boner M (view post)
    It's great. Perhaps its biggest flaw is that it takes a long time for it to get started, but once it does, it's great.

pushing too many pencils Rowland's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Spun Lepton (view post)
    Scarecrows (1988)
    I wrote about this in my horror thread last year. I was probably being a bit generous, but with lowered expectations, it's passable schlock.
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    The Long Riders (Hill) ***
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    Another 48 Hrs. (Hill) ***
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Besson) ***
    /Unknown/ (Collet-Serra) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

Quote Quoting Rowland (view post)
    I wrote about this in my horror thread last year. I was probably being a bit generous, but with lowered expectations, it's passable schlock.
    Quote Quoting From your review...
    Furthermore, every one of them is saddled with idiotic dialogue (samples: "God to Bert - your birthday has been cancelled!"; "Yeah Bert, I think I'm gonna have to write you out of my will!") and boneheaded behavior suggesting how an alien may react to any given situation (example: your partner-in-crime has apparently been cut open, gutted, and stuffed full of the stolen money he double-crossed you for, after which he proceeds to attack you while being invulnerable to bullet fire. Your response? "OMG, he ate all the money!").
    100% agreed. I'm glad you mentioned the "he ate the money" bit, because I thought the exact same thing. The guy has a slit going up his middle, he's missing his guts, instead he's stuffed with money and straw ... and you conclude HE ATE THE MONEY? Come on. Anybody with a working pair of eyes and half of a brain would figure something bad was going on.

Got the trilogy of Puppet Master films (not to be confused with Puppet Masters starring Donald Sutherland) for $5 today at Wal Mart.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, Wal Mart is sandwiched between Satan and Saddam in the master bedroom of hell...but their bargain bins are great!
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

I watched my first Masters of Horror over the weekend. Cigarette Burns. Was good. But not great. A lot more gruesome than I was expecting.

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    I watched my first Masters of Horror over the weekend. Cigarette Burns. Was good. But not great. A lot more gruesome than I was expecting.
    It only goes downhill from there.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+