Page 12 of 356 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Sangre, cuchillos, y tetas --- Horror Film Discussion

Quote Quoting Daniel Davis (view post)
    Not me.

Of course you can see it another way, but to argue that its not there when so many other people clearly see it, or to say that you don't see it at all strikes me as being a little obtuse.

I can see it when it's pointed out, but it's not something that, while watching the movie, I would go "hey! Jesse's gay!"

It's a bit of a stretch is all I'm saying.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    I can see it when it's pointed out, but it's not something that, while watching the movie, I would go "hey! Jesse's gay!"
    I don't think that is what you're supposed to say. What the commentators are saying is that the film has homosexual undertones.

It's a bit of a stretch is all I'm saying.
    I think it would be a stretch if there were only a few people commenting on it. However, even when I first saw it I was aware of its homoerotic nature, and I know that this has often been cited as the most prevalent way of examining the film. That is to say, I don't think the homosexual reading of this film is some rogue analysis that only a scant few see.

I have a strange disinterest in the 'Elm Street' sequels. I'm trying to remedy it.

Bram Stoker's Dracula - Drag Me To Hell would have been an achievement much the same way Francis Ford Coppola's Bram Stoker's Dracula is, if Raimi had made it, you know, better. As Raimi wished to throwback to certain old-school schlock, BSD also takes a classical-type story burdened with lots of codings and de-codes them using overt artificial style, Coppola throwbacking majorly to silent film aesthetic and storytelling beats.

The two films even have similar slam-bang openings and shock, tactile title cards (which never fail BTW).

BSD is an uneven film that gets increasingly tiresome once Helsing and the men start actively seeking out Dracula, leading to a very weak climactic act, but there's too many great moments here to completely dismiss, especially in the first half of the film. The number of gleefully bizarre moments only Coppola's capable is unbeatable, such as everything about Keanu's first visit to the castle, Keanu's blissed out deliberations on how to escape Dracula's wives, and the shot of Giant Bat-Dracula (awesome make-up there) moping out of sight when Mira catches him in the garden with Lucy (complete with an iris out).

I usually can appreciate even the most awkward acting jobs (see The Happening) but Winona Ryder and Keanu Reeves are really pushing their luck.

There's definitely stuff here to look deeply at. I loved the characterization of Lucy, how she seems to be chipper and optimistic even as all her vitality is slowly being sucked from her. Perhaps it was Coppola's way to undermine our expectations that the vapid sex kitten is always easily susceptible to the draining of inner character. The morphing shadow work is spectacular, and Mira's love of the "evil" Dracula is interesting in light of the film's look at Victorian age mores, even though the ending leaves me with a bad taste of sappiness, over-simplicity, and how flat that previous fight scene was.
    The Act of Killing (Oppenheimer 13) - A
    Stranger by the Lake (Giraudie 12) - B
    American Hustle (Russell 13) - C+
    The Wolf of Wall Street (Scorsese 13) - C+
    Passion (De Palma 12) - B

Speaking of gay things did you ever see the anime Hikaru No Go? It's about a Go player who has a long dead expert Go player (Sai) spirit in his head. At a certain point in the story the spirit leaves... the boy then exclaims... Sai I want you back inside of me! The spirit and the boy look like this...

... NAMBLA subtext methinks?
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

I always thought Hikaru No Go was gay.

Quote Quoting Bosco B Thug (view post)
    I have a strange disinterest in the 'Elm Street' sequels. I'm trying to remedy it.

Bram Stoker's Dracula - Drag Me To Hell would have been an achievement much the same way Francis Ford Coppola's Bram Stoker's Dracula is, if Raimi had made it, you know, better. As Raimi wished to throwback to certain old-school schlock, BSD also takes a classical-type story burdened with lots of codings and de-codes them using overt artificial style, Coppola throwbacking majorly to silent film aesthetic and storytelling beats.

The two films even have similar slam-bang openings and shock, tactile title cards (which never fail BTW).

BSD is an uneven film that gets increasingly tiresome once Helsing and the men start actively seeking out Dracula, leading to a very weak climactic act, but there's too many great moments here to completely dismiss, especially in the first half of the film. The number of gleefully bizarre moments only Coppola's capable is unbeatable, such as everything about Keanu's first visit to the castle, Keanu's blissed out deliberations on how to escape Dracula's wives, and the shot of Giant Bat-Dracula (awesome make-up there) moping out of sight when Mira catches him in the garden with Lucy (complete with an iris out).

I usually can appreciate even the most awkward acting jobs (see The Happening) but Winona Ryder and Keanu Reeves are really pushing their luck.

There's definitely stuff here to look deeply at. I loved the characterization of Lucy, how she seems to be chipper and optimistic even as all her vitality is slowly being sucked from her. Perhaps it was Coppola's way to undermine our expectations that the vapid sex kitten is always easily susceptible to the draining of inner character. The morphing shadow work is spectacular, and Mira's love of the "evil" Dracula is interesting in light of the film's look at Victorian age mores, even though the ending leaves me with a bad taste of sappiness, over-simplicity, and how flat that previous fight scene was.

The ending aside, Coppola's Dracula really is one of the better adaptations of the source material, and is one of my favorite films of the early nineties - if only because of its visual expressiveness, but Tom Waits and Anthony Hopkins in their respective roles doesn't hurt, either. And, this is saying nothing of Gary Oldman, particularly during the first third of the film.

Winona - well, there's nothing I can say about here that hasn't already been said. But, Jonathan was always a very wooden, uptight character. Personally, I think Coppola knew what he was getting, and cast him accordingly - but I may be grasping at straws, here.
    thefilmistreturns.wordpress.com

Impossible. Meaningless.

Quote Quoting BuffaloWilder (view post)
    Winona - well, there's nothing I can say about here that hasn't already been said. But, Jonathan was always a very wooden, uptight character. Personally, I think Coppola knew what he was getting, and cast him accordingly - but I may be grasping at straws, here.
    I don't know, I might have some evidence for you there. He's totally wooden until Coppola wants him to show some extreme emotion, and then he pulls it off. I loved his reaction when he sees Dracula bring in a baby for his wives to feed on.
    The Act of Killing (Oppenheimer 13) - A
    Stranger by the Lake (Giraudie 12) - B
    American Hustle (Russell 13) - C+
    The Wolf of Wall Street (Scorsese 13) - C+
    Passion (De Palma 12) - B

Quote Quoting Bosco B Thug (view post)
    I don't know, I might have some evidence for you there. He's totally wooden until Coppola wants him to show some extreme emotion, and then he pulls it off. I loved his reaction when he sees Dracula bring in a baby for his wives to feed on.
    That is a great moment, I agree.

Impossible. Meaningless.

dissolved into molecules lovejuice's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    Speaking of gay things did you ever see the anime Hikaru No Go?
    hikaru no go > death note,
    which is pretty gay too.

but i think manga with the most obvious gay subtext is wild half, about a boy and his were-dog.
    "Over analysis is like the oil of the Match-Cut machine." KK2.0

Does not read Sutter Cane The Mike's Avatar
    Just started in on ANOES 2. That guy's gay.

Also, I'm craving some Fu Man Chews. Best fake cereal ever.
    The Mike

It's very very horrible, sir. It's one of those things we wish we could disinvent.

From Midnight, With Love - My Midnight Movie Blog of Justice!

Can we all agree that Scanners is possibly the worst "acclaimed", "original" horror film ever made? Good god, this movie is killing my soul.
    The Mike

It's very very horrible, sir. It's one of those things we wish we could disinvent.

Quote Quoting The Mike (view post)
    Can we all agree that Scanners is possibly the worst "acclaimed", "original" horror film ever made? Good god, this movie is killing my soul.
    Michael Ironside makes that movie. The lead guy is a fucking plank of wood, though, and he drags the rest of the movie down with him.
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting The Mike (view post)
    It's pretty awful.

Dream Warriors is great.

What I don't like about it, though, is that it marks the beginning of Freddy being a wise-ass jokester, and all the deaths being ironic, wink-filled extravaganzas.

It would have been better, in my opinion, if this was a one-film departure in tone, and in part 4 it returned to being scary and disturbing. From here on out (until New Nightmare) they're almost dark fantasy films.

EDIT: And Craig Wasson looks like Bill Maher.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    EDIT: And Craig Wasson looks like Bill Maher.
    Yeah, I've gotten them mixed up ever since the first time I snuck a peek at my dad's copy of Body Double. Frickin' dopplegangers.
    The Mike

pushing too many pencils Rowland's Avatar
    Bram Stoker's Dracula is the shit. As sheer cinema-drunk gonzo extravaganzas go, it's upper tier.
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    The Long Riders (Hill) ***
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    Another 48 Hrs. (Hill) ***
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Besson) ***
    /Unknown/ (Collet-Serra) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

A Long Way to Tipperary MacGuffin's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Rowland (view post)
    Bram Stoker's Dracula is the shit. As sheer cinema-drunk gonzo extravaganzas go, it's upper tier.
    I gotta see this flick. I'm lacking in F. Coppola movies aside from the "essential" movies.

Quote Quoting Clipper Ship Captain (view post)
    I gotta see this flick. I'm lacking in F. Coppola movies aside from the "essential" movies.
    I love it when he goes crazy with the baroque cinematic flourishes. Even when the material barely skirts above mediocrity, his flamboyant vision, coupled with daunting technical craft, give the pictures a palpable vitality (see also: Rumble Fish).
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

A Long Way to Tipperary MacGuffin's Avatar
    (see also: Rumble Fish).
    This is good? It looks a little trite, but it's on Netflix Instant Streaming, so I'll probably give it a go if I'm convinced.

This is good? It looks a little trite, but it's on Netflix Instant Streaming, so I'll probably give it a go if I'm convinced.
    I'm not sure about the critical community at large, but I know the film has a sizable following in these parts.
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

I was very unimpressed, but it has been quite a few years.

I watched Jacob's Ladder the other night. I thought it was pretty effectively creepy, and had some excellent scenes. The hospital one comes to mind, natch. The ending cheapened things little, but I think it earns it a bit more than some of its more modern contemporaries.

dissolved into molecules lovejuice's Avatar
    I love it when he goes crazy with the baroque cinematic flourishes. Even when the material barely skirts above mediocrity, his flamboyant vision, coupled with daunting technical craft, give the pictures a palpable vitality (see also: Rumble Fish).
    and reeves's non-acting fit well with all the craziness around him.
    "Over analysis is like the oil of the Match-Cut machine." KK2.0

"Doctuh, you have to undahstand. I was...IMPOTENT with FEUH."

I love that line. It is my favorite line of the entire film.

See also: Speed.

Impossible. Meaningless.

The last great Coppola film.*

*Has only seen 2 Coppola films since Rumble Fish's release, one of which was Jack.**

**Not really pertaining to the whole horror discussion thing. Sorry.

The Dream Master is still pretty good. Some wonderfully cheesy 80s montages.